Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Got your passport for Orkney?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Got your passport for Orkney?

"Have you got your passport?" ~ well photo ID anyway ~ will soon be the shout before heading for the Orkney Show. Whatever next?
    http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/default.aspx.locid-00gnew3b5.Lang-EN.htm

"We know who you are and we know where to find you!" I wonder when they will get round to putting cameras in our houses so they can check when we move from room to room and find who comes to visit us?
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Just go by the Gills or Groats one. Don't think they are doing this but maybe I wrong.
    Yippee puppies galore soon

Were I running Pentland Ferries and had just spent £10 million on a nice new boat that needed paying for, I'd think Northlink had arranged for my birthday and Christmas to fall all on the same day...... idiots.

I cannot see a problem with this, you have to produce photographic proof when boarding any Easy Jet, Ryan Air flights, and a much more restrictive selection of proof is asked by Easy Jet.
    Last edited by golach; 16-Jan-08 at 21:02.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Think it`s a good thing, don`t want any undesirables coming into the county.

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I cannot see a problem with this, you have to produce photographic proof when boarding any Easy Jet, Ryan Air flights, and a much more restrictive selection fo proof is asked by Easy Jet.
    And they have in common with Northlink, errrr.............?

What threat do Northlink claim to be combating? The massed ranks of the Orkney Taliban are indeed fearsome...... there is however, a suspicious lack of suicide bombing, car bombs, and even (whisper it soft) ethnic minorities of the sort generally associated with such outrages.

So now the only way of getting to and from Orkney, except for Pentland Ferries, involves having an ID check. Does no one else think that's a downright disgrace is this country which pretty much invented the concept of freedom - or at least laid down the principles of it in law?

I can see extended loading times, arguments and unpleasantness over forgotten ID, or unsuitable ID. I can see huge problems because there are many, many people here of all ages who don't have a passport or photocard driver's licence. And I can see people like me who won't be using Northlink again........ because I have a choice.