Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: problems giving rep

Default problems giving rep

I am getting a problem when trying to give rep to one particular forum member.

I last awarded some positive rep to this individual some weeks ago, but wished to do so again today. Since last giving it to this individual I have given plenty to other folks.

The message I get is to the effect that before giving it to the same person again I need to spread some rep around.

Is there a specific number of posts between giving rep to the same individual again?
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Sorry Nick don't know the time limits.

Send them a pm for now, you can always go back after you have spread it about a bitty more if you feel strongly about it.

I admit its a bit of a pain at times, but think this was originally done to stop abuse of the system and folks giving constant good rep to friends and bad to folks they don't like.
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I can understand why you would give somebody good rep, but why give them bad?

Ok, you might not agree with what somebody says, but they are entitled to express their opinion as much as the next.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject - Winston Spencer Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda the flump View Post
    I can understand why you would give somebody good rep, but why give them bad?

Ok, you might not agree with what somebody says, but they are entitled to express their opinion as much as the next.
    Who mentioned giving bad?
    The box said, "Requires Windows XP or better"...

... so I installed Ubuntu!

Changi did! Blame her LOL!

Changi holds her hands up.

Good job I have broad shoulders

Bob you are nobut a wee tell tale
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by changilass View Post
    Bob you are nobut a wee tell tale
    Stop bullying the Mods Changi
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Nick, I've experienced the same problem -some folk I seem able to give rep to as often as I feel their posts merit it - others I get the "you must spread it around" message, even though several weeks, if not months! have passed and I know I have given rep to many other Orgers in between.

I have received PMs from Orgers who have had the same problem when they've wanted to give me rep and been told they have to spread it around.

I fully understand the reasoning behind this, but I would like to know if there is a fixed number of times you have to rep other people before you can again rep the person you'd repped in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Nick, I've experienced the same problem -some folk I seem able to give rep to as often as I feel their posts merit it - others I get the "you must spread it around" message, even though several weeks, if not months! have passed and I know I have given rep to many other Orgers in between.

I have received PMs from Orgers who have had the same problem when they've wanted to give me rep and been told they have to spread it around.

I fully understand the reasoning behind this, but I would like to know if there is a fixed number of times you have to rep other people before you can again rep the person you'd repped in the first place?
    ditto !!! samething applies to me
    Its nice to be nice

The default settings for vbulletin (makers of this forum) is that you must spead the reputation to 20 other individuals before you can give to that same user again.

Thanks Lazytown

I was looking for the answer to this for ages on the vBulletin site and eventually gave up!