Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Windows XP

Default Windows XP

I am visiting the area and am thinking about upgrading a relations pc from Win 98 to Windows XP Home Edition. The pc has a sufficiently powerful processor (450 MHz) and enough RAM (384 MB) for Win XP. It would be good to get a bit more use out of the pc, before buying a new pc, perhaps in about a year's time, when the problems with Vista are ironed out. Are their any businesses in the area that sell upgrade disks?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if an upgrade disk for XP would cost more than the PC is worth. I'm sure that I will soon be corrected if I'm wrong, but with those specs, I don't think XP would run too healthily. How about maybe asking on the org to see if anyone could sell you a no longer used copy of windows 2000 which is not far off XP, but without all the fancy pretty stuff which would slow it down to a crawl.
    Currently reading:- The tea leaves

Wouldn't run XP with less than a 1Ghz processor, the minimum quoted specs are always rubbish. For instance wouldn't run Vista with under 2Gb ram but MS quote 512Mb and a 1Ghz processor which is ridiculous and would run smooth as sandpaper.

Problem with 2000 or ME are that a lot of things like cameras and MP3 players don't have drivers for anything but XP/Vista. Games are the same but 2000 would be my pick or stick in a faster CPU old ones can be had for couple of quid.