Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: cockaleekie soup

Default cockaleekie soup

hi can anyone give me a good recipe for cookaleekie soup t.y.

I make mine from a roast chicken carcass boiled to make the stock, and pick any bits of chicken meat off the bones. Stock cubes or a boiled leg or breast portion would do just as well.

Leave overnight to get fat off the top.

Traditional Cockaleekie has only well salted and peppered chicken stock with rice, leek rings and finely diced carrots in it. Some folk add other vegetables or onion, but it is very much trial and error. I use 3-4 leeks per pot and two medium carrots as the chicken, leek and rice flavour are the main event.

Enjoy
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    I make mine from a roast chicken carcass boiled to make the stock, and pick any bits of chicken meat off the bones. Stock cubes or a boiled leg or breast portion would do just as well.

Leave overnight to get fat off the top.

Traditional Cockaleekie has only well salted and peppered chicken stock with rice, leek rings and finely diced carrots in it. Some folk add other vegetables or onion, but it is very much trial and error. I use 3-4 leeks per pot and two medium carrots as the chicken, leek and rice flavour are the main event.

Enjoy
    Traditionally should of course have prunes in it and have seen it at a burns supper garnished with strips of prune too.