Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backlight bleed on LCD TV?

Well my TV is being 'inspected' next week and I am really hoping to get a replacement as the backlight problem really gets on my nerves and spoils an otherwise great TV. Due to illness, I watch a lot of TV and this makes it even worse!

I contacted Panasonic and was told a bit of backlight bleed is normal.
    I think this is quite a cheek considering the cost of the TV!

The problem is I am not sure what backlight is supposed to look like but don't think a yellow cloud in the corner of the screen sounds right?

The whole screen takes on a yellow hue after the TV has 'heated up' so the 'cloud' blends in more but can still be seen in some dark scenes.

Wish me luck!
    Last edited by Liz; 11-Jan-08 at 19:51.

I dont care what anyone says there shouldnt be any back light that catches the eyes attention.Its not normal i would just keep annoying them

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE View Post
    I dont care what anyone says there shouldnt be any back light that catches the eyes attention.Its not normal i would just keep annoying them
    Thanks Eddie. I will let you know how I get on.

Have you tried adjusting the viewing angle?

Of adjusting the screen brightness? Our LCD always comes on too bright for my liking and I turn the brightness down to increase the quality of the blacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Riffman View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the viewing angle?

Of adjusting the screen brightness? Our LCD always comes on too bright for my liking and I turn the brightness down to increase the quality of the blacks.
    Yes thanks I have tried various settings and it makes no difference.
    The TV was on Dynamic after auto set up and this nearly scorched my eyeballs!

For some reason,on the Panasonic, there is no way of changing the backlight.
    Well apart from the Service Menu which is not supposed to be accessed by the owner.

What should a blank screen actually look like on an LCD?

I was watching QVC today and the TVs they were showing seemed to have a uniform 'black' whereas mine has this yellow hue which comes on after a few hours with some patches of blue.
    Blacks in the main picture don't look too bad but aren't good in backgrounds or night scenes.

I know blacks on LCDs aren't perfect but I don't mind that as the rest of the picture makes up for it.

If I could get rid of the yellow clouding then I would be a happy bunny.

Unhappy

Well I got a replacment TV today (direct from Panasonic) and am really peed off as the backlight bleed/clouding is worse than the one I have!!!

I keep being told that all LCD TVs have some form of backlight bleed but surely not enough to spoil viewing?

My TV has a fantastic picture as long as there aren't any dark scenes!

I just wondered how many of you with LCD TVs have this problem?

I really don't know what to do now. The TV was a very considered purchase as it one of the more expensive ones on the market and I am not happy to just put up with this but don't know how many replacements I will need to go through before I get one without this problem?
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Well I got a replacment TV today (direct from Panasonic) and am really peed off as the backlight bleed/clouding is worse than the one I have!!!

I keep being told that all LCD TVs have some form of backlight bleed but surely not enough to spoil viewing?

I really don't know what to do now. The TV was a very considered purchase as it one of the more expensive ones on the market and I am not happy to just put up with this but don't know how many replacements I will need to go through before I get one without this problem?
    Get yourself a nice plasma tv, much better picture quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post

If your not happy i would keep on annoying them for all you no u might have got a another tv from the same faulty batch i would send it back and might be an idea to ask them for a different model or newer model and pay the difference or try and get your money back.
    Have u ever thought about getting someone local like allcan on olrig street to come up and have a quick look at for u for second opinion.

Thanks both.

I have been considering a Plasma but think it might be too big for my living room and I like the fact that LCD doesn't have a reflective screen so I can't see myself on TV!

Eddie I did have someone local come and look at my Tv and he couldn't see a problem! I promise I am not making it up though and the replacement one is even worse.

Panasonic have new models coming out from March -June so I may wait to see what they are like and then ask for one of them.

It's a real pest as I researched this flipping TV for such a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by TBH View Post
    Get yourself a nice plasma tv, much better picture quality.
    Well I am now seriously considering getting a Plasma to eradicate the backlight problem.

How many of you have Plasmas and how happy are you with it?

Is reflection a big problem? I usually pull the curtains when watching TV in daytime so hoping this will help?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12