Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Davy Spillane

Default Davy Spillane

Anyone got any Davy Spillane music ? I just bought Shadow Hunter from Amazon its quite good. Would you recommend any other of his C/Ds.
    Kind regards Ashes

I have almost everything he ever done, including Moving Hearts "The Storm", that was actually the first recording I heard with Spillane in it and it turned me on to him, Spillane was a founding member of Moving Hearts along with Christy Moore and Donal Lunny. I highly recommend buying The Storm by Moving Hearts if you like Spillane. I have procured all his recordings that I can or know of and have never once been disappointed by any of his music. If you just want to buy another of his albums I would go for Atalantic Bridge next which was the album before Shadow Hunter and consider getting The Storm as well, which was his last recording with Moving Hearts before going solo and then carry on buying from there. Its all good, one of the best irish Musicians I have ever heard.

Solo Albums
    • Atlantic Bridge (1986)
    • Shadow Hunter (1990)
    • Pipedreams (1991)
    • East Wind (1992)
    • A Place Among The Stones (1994)
    • The Sea Of Dreams (1998)

Davy Spillane Band

• Out of the Air (1988)

Davy Spillane and Kevin Glackin

• Forgotten Days (2000)

Andy Irvine and Davy Spillane

• East Wind (1994)

Moving Hearts Discography
    Here is a link where you can listen to snippets of The Storm, the whole album is like an Irish Folk Symphony, its pure class! http://www.amazon.com/Storm-Moving-H...7678177&sr=8-2

I remember seeing Davy Spillane in Scapa House Hotel, Thurso (now demolished) about 15 or so years ago. He had a cracking band.

First time I'd listened to such music. The small pipes are so emotive and expressive, particularly as played by Davy.

Went back stage for a mingle after the show. All the chaps were very down to earth and jolly, but I think we caught Davy on a bad night as he was very sullen and withdrawn (I think his run in with the then owner of the redwood function suite where they had originally been booked to play that night had affected his enthusiasm!!)

I recommend the "Shadow Hunter" album highly.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk