Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: More Equipment Advice

Default More Equipment Advice

Ok folks, looking for more wisdom with regards to a live setup for Empty Fortune.

Im trying to downscale the amount of gear we currently use at our gigs.

Calum sings and plays acoustic guitar through a 65 watt amp
    I am backing 'vocals' and i switch between electric guitar, acoustic bass and mandolin. So the most instruments used at any one time is 4 (2 vocals and 2 guitars).

Usually use 4 PA speakers (unpowered) with a 1K power amp and a four channel Behringer UB802 mixer (currently only being used for vocals through the 2 XLR inputs)

Im wanting to eliminate the need for the bass and guitar amps as they are just too big for what we're doing and space is always limited. Ideally having everything run through the mixer and PA.

If I buy 2 DI boxes, 1 for Calums guitar and the other for my instruments, should this do the trick in bringing the instrument levels up (and I could switch between my instruments while still using the same channel)? Our sound requirements are very basic, no effects or distortion required for our acoustic sets.

Im really quite thick at this stuff so any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

I'm sure the hobbit will be along to answer your questions I can't see that being too much of a problem though biy.

You need one (or two) of these:
    http://www.behringer.com/DI20/index.cfm?lang=eng

This will allow 2 separate inputs (guitar & bass etc.) to your mixing desk - PA system. No more backline. This is the system/principle we use with my band "Whisky".

The unit above (costs about £30) can also double as a one channel splitter box as well.
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

cheers, im kinda hoping the elimination of the amps would cut down on feedback too. As we are always packed into a corner the vocal mics usually pickup the sound from the amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    You need one (or two) of these:
    http://www.behringer.com/DI20/index.cfm?lang=eng

This will allow 2 separate inputs (guitar & bass etc.) to your mixing desk - PA system. No more backline. This is the system/principle we use with my band "Whisky".

The unit above (costs about £30) can also double as a one channel splitter box as well.
    oh iv actually just bought one of them off ebay for £30 a few minutes ago. When u mention the channel splitter box, I take it u mean both guitars can go through channel 3 leaving channel 4 free for the bass?

This box has 2 channels of DI input (2 separate instruments in as 1/4 inch jack out to 2 XLRs)
    It also will take one jack input and split it to 2 XLR outputs (for instance: one feed to the FOA PA stage box and one feed to the stage monitor desk)
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

moncur.....

why don't you get yourself something like a POD that allows you to have a patch for acoustic, mandolin & bass & only takes up one input......

pod XT is great although any reasonable pre-amp can be used we recently got a rocktron chameleon pre-amp for 70 odd squids & it does everything to a great degree

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Ok folks, looking for more wisdom with regards to a live setup for Empty Fortune.

Im trying to downscale the amount of gear we currently use at our gigs.
    I remind the good readers of http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=28267

Now moncur, don't tell me that after all the time and energy we put into your DIY project that you are thinking of abandoning the priceless speaker!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chobbersjnr View Post
    moncur.....

why don't you get yourself something like a POD that allows you to have a patch for acoustic, mandolin & bass & only takes up one input......

pod XT is great although any reasonable pre-amp can be used we recently got a rocktron chameleon pre-amp for 70 odd squids & it does everything to a great degree
    The pocket pod sits in your hand and costs only £67. Perfect for the job. A preamp is needed to do the job and the pod has 32 different amp models. It has been designed for guitar, bass and accoustic. I have one if you want to try it out.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I remind the good readers of http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=28267

Now moncur, don't tell me that after all the time and energy we put into your DIY project that you are thinking of abandoning the priceless speaker!!!!!
    Lol dont worry bout the mini-cab! It gets put to good use in ma hoose and when Im jammin wi duress! just tryin to lighten the load for the small gigs

If you are wanting to make your rig as SMALL as possible, here’s what I would aim for:

You already have 2bins and 2 midtop passives, so forget the active option for the moment

I would do as the Sutherlands are suggesting and equip some pods for your instruments, end of backline

To eliminate the need for monitors, I stress the fact that you do NEED monitors, buy two sets of in ear gear and hook them up to your desk.

Then all you would need is a desk with an extra two outputs and your laughing

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    I stress the fact that you do NEED monitors
    no you don't. Handy when getting things above the level of loud backline and/or a drummer who is not always present at these gigs & you know that the sound going out front is the sound the audience are hearing as that's what the musician is hearing as well. In fact monitors & acoustic instrument can quite often be a nightmare scenario

Just a message to be passed on guys, apparently you were far to loud the other night in Top Joes. I thought acoustic bands were supposed to be quiet... ish?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Just a message to be passed on guys, apparently you were far to loud the other night in Top Joes. I thought acoustic bands were supposed to be quiet... ish?
    ah right no probs, i reckon it was the guitars that were too loud.

I don't really know tbh, just someone said it to me when I was working on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I don't really know tbh, just someone said it to me when I was working on Saturday.
    ah ok, well all feedback is welcome (except the kind that hurts ma ears, ye know e feedback that goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEE!)