Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you define "rock music" in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    It was Willie Ruff from Alabama. Read here: http://heritage.scotsman.com/traditi...m?id=609532005
    I'm not saying that the negro spiritual wasn't influenced by Scottish music, I'm saying the part of it which went on to define rock music was African. It is typical of African traditional music, it is typical of the calypso, ska, reggae as well as the Black American music like gospel and New Orleans Jazz.

Take a look at the headbangers at a rock concert, were they influenced by African ritual dancers or a Presbyterian congregation?

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    I'm not saying that the negro spiritual wasn't influenced by Scottish music, I'm saying the part of it which went on to define rock music was African. It is typical of African traditional music, it is typical of the calypso, ska, reggae as well as the Black American music like gospel and New Orleans Jazz.

Take a look at the headbangers at a rock concert, were they influenced by African ritual dancers or a Presbyterian congregation?
    Four to the floor swing and 6/8 lament was the beat of the highlands, the main beats used in trad, blues and swing jazz. As Louis Bellson is reported to have said, " Jazz and Scottish music are the only ones to swing".( not a verbatim quote). We were the last transported slaves and our music combined with the tribal music of the African led to bluegrass, country, blues and jazz. The chords of a blues are so similar to the chords in Scottish traditional.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Over-expensive cider and badly-produced drugs, I'd say. But I take on your point about rock music, fred. And I have to agree with Gleber2 - I reckon The Blues has its true origins in Scotland.

"Weel ah woke up iss morneen/ cullick, I wiz stingin' way e' blues
    I went doon till 'e Crossroads, near Mey/ Feel doon on ma knees
    By Christ it was sore/ Especially on 'e hard frost
    Bit mind 'e, there wiz old wifey Budge till tend till eh wounded Wullug here.
    Ma hert wisna so sore efter all... especially when I got eh biest o' her biested cheese"

Over-expensive cider and badly-produced drugs, I'd say. But I take on your point about rock music, fred. And I have to agree with Gleber2 - I reckon The Blues has its true origins in Scotland.
    I expect the ritual dancers in Africa lick the occasional toad and partake of a drop of jungle juice as well but that only enhances the sensation same as with the headbangers.

The ritual dancers of Africa will go into a trance, just like a strobe light at just the right frequency will cause an epileptic fit the rhythm of the drums has an affect on the body and it alters the mind. Same happens with the voodoo dancers of the Caribbean and in the Black American churches, the effects of the rhythm are spiritual and the effects are communal.

That, above all else, is what defines rock music, it's the rhythm that gets into your heart and soul.

Right on, brother.

"Weel ah woke up iss morneen/ cullick, I wiz stingin' way e' blues
    I went doon till 'e Crossroads, near Mey/ Feel doon on ma knees
    By Christ it was sore/ Especially on 'e hard frost
    Bit mind 'e, there wiz old wifey Budge till tend till eh wounded Wullug here.
    Ma hert wisna so sore efter all... especially when I got eh biest o' her biested cheese"
    George Gunn wrote a poem that was on that very subject..... a resurrected Robert Johnson battles with a whistle player for the poets affections outside Castletown hall. You're in Embra ain't ya? Scottish Poetry Library should have it, its in the collection "Whins".

Plus why are we talking about rock? Its the machines that are making the progress these days.......

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRob View Post
    George Gunn wrote a poem that was on that very subject..... a resurrected Robert Johnson battles with a whistle player for the poets affections outside Castletown hall. You're in Embra ain't ya? Scottish Poetry Library should have it, its in the collection "Whins".

Plus why are we talking about rock? Its the machines that are making the progress these days.......
    The whistle player widna be my late faither ( Bobby Murray ) by any chance ? Machines !!! Machines!!! whit kinda machines are ye on aboot check!! Grass cutters, bacon slicers, sausage machines ???

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Machines !!! Machines!!! whit kinda machines are ye on aboot check!! Grass cutters, bacon slicers, sausage machines ???
    http://tinyurl.com/3bs5gm

No very good though eh!

i dont know about frankzappa but bob dylan rocks man

Dead Kennedys often get overlooked & i luv em...In fact theyre ma 2nd favourite punk band after the Ramones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12