Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Who is the best lyricist in music history?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who is the best lyricist in music history?

OOOhhhhhhhhhhhh.Mine would have to be for local issues Morrisey.For a wee bit world wide Bono,even though he was made oot to be Jesus!!!!!For his own art of music Fish.For Fish,I think he wrote his best lyrics when he was pissed oot his face.I love that.
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    OOOhhhhhhhhhhhh.Mine would have to be for local issues Morrisey.For a wee bit world wide Bono,even though he was made oot to be Jesus!!!!!For his own art of music Fish.For Fish,I think he wrote his best lyrics when he was pissed oot his face.I love that.
    Dylan no question...Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 period, take your pick from any song " God said to Abraham kill me a son, Abe said to God, man your puttin me on....

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Dylan no question...Blonde on Blonde, Highway 61 period, take your pick from any song " God said to Abraham kill me a son, Abe said to God, man your puttin me on....
    Good one Rob.
    But to me these lyrics are better
    "It was morning and I found myself mourning
    For a childhood that I thought had disappeared
    I looked out a window I saw a magpie in a rainbow
    The rain is gone I'm not alone I looked in the mirror I saw you"

Excellent.....oh by the way Fish on Marillions 'Misplaced Childhood'

Another good lyric was by Fish I remember was the story in primary school about Robert the Bruce before Bannockburn seeing a spider rebuild his web showing that nothing was invicible.

Fish wrote:

"A spider wanders aimlessly within the warmth of a shadow
    Not the regal creature of Border caves
    But the poor miscarded directionless familiar
    Of some obscure Scottish poet"

I love lyrics me.......

Good one Rob.
    But to me these lyrics are better
    "It was morning and I found myself mourning
    For a childhood that I thought had disappeared
    I looked out a window I saw a magpie in a rainbow
    The rain is gone I'm not alone I looked in the mirror I saw you"

Excellent.....oh by the way Fish on Marillions 'Misplaced Childhood'
    Aye, good stuff right enough, I dont know much Fish / Marillion material but yes a great lyric. Must admit I prefer the mid 60's Dylan, over all otehr Dylan periods ie spouting brilliant surreal nonsense all over Blonde / Highway etc. " Six white horses that she sent me finally arrived at the gates of the penitentiary, but you know to live outside the law you must be honest" or " I dunno how he did it but that river boat captain he knows my name" ( Absolutly Sweet Marie )or "tell me great leader, but make it quick". I can never remember whole lyrics, just the bits that strike me as quirky and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Aye, good stuff right enough, I dont know much Fish / Marillion material but yes a great lyric. Must admit I prefer the mid 60's Dylan, over all otehr Dylan periods ie spouting brilliant surreal nonsense all over Blonde / Highway etc. " Six white horses that she sent me finally arrived at the gates of the penitentiary, but you know to live outside the law you must be honest" or " I dunno how he did it but that river boat captain he knows my name" ( Absolutly Sweet Marie )or "tell me great leader, but make it quick". I can never remember whole lyrics, just the bits that strike me as quirky and funny.
    But thats the best thing about lyrics Rob,the one's that "strike "you.Cos while the drummer was striking it hard,the guitarist was kissing his licks and the bassist was pumpin the beat and a group at its best wi a keyboardist singing the keys.It was the singer or lyricist singing their own song or somebody else's to the crowd.The words are sometimes stronger than the chord.

But thats the best thing about lyrics Rob,the one's that "strike "you.Cos while the drummer was striking it hard,the guitarist was kissing his licks and the bassist was pumpin the beat and a group at its best wi a keyboardist singing the keys.It was the singer or lyricist singing their own song or somebody else's to the crowd.The words are sometimes stronger than the chord.
    Totally agree, music is always the back drop to the lyric, look at the Sex Pistols, would God Save the Queen have the same effect and immediacy if the lyric / song was called " Pour me another one" !!

I was just looking for a link to post elsewhere and remembered this thread.

Tom Lehrer by a long way, nobody else even comes close.