Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After Hours tonight in Halkirk

The last time I saw Dave Grohl, his performance was hardly memorable. He moved a hell of a lot more when I saw the Foo's in 2000.

As for Newton, I've not idea. I'm pretty sure he's going to be playing with After Hours until next year at least... so I'm sure they'll be playing sometime around Christmas. Dave usually posts when they are playing. Keep your eyes open.

I'm also sure he plays/has played in a band with theboss' dad.

Sometimes you do remember people who move around a lot... some people end up looking like they're taking a fit, rather than enjoying themselves though

[QUOTE=Jeid;303575]
    I'm also sure he plays/has played in a band with theboss' dad.
    QUOTE]

He does aye. Scottish function stuff. Accordion, drums and guitar. While not my cup of tea and went to see them (Fusion) one night and was yet again blown away with John's guitar playing. He just knows exactly when and what to play.

I'll have to catch him with After Hours though. I'm sure they'll playing over the festive period. I'd like to see Stuart Maitland and John playing together in After Hours. That would be superb!

Well, let me know; and I'll (probably) come along.

As we all seem to be on the John Newton theme, hear are some of my own thoughts.

I met John early 1986. Myself (drums) and Graham Fulton (bass) started to rehearse with John in Tommie Robertson's studio (Sailing Shoes) at Scapa House Hotel. We didn't get very far as a band until Jamie Sutherland from Wick joined on vocals and harmonica. We decided to call ourselves the "Tomb Stone Blues Band" (or TSB band!!), but rapidly changed this to "Against the Grain."

John was always the star of the show and when he flew, he flew with the highest I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. His slide playing could leave punters in tears. We played in such notable venues as Domino's in Wick, the American Base at Forss and many local pubs etc. I can't recall how long this band lasted but have some recordings of John (One recorded live in the Thurso Club dated 30/01/1987 on cassette!!) John and I also collaborated with a fabulous singer called Ralph ??? (sorry I don't recall his second name) with some original pop type material. (we never gigged).

This came and went and I seem to remember eventually ending up with John in the afore mentioned Ian Sinclairs band (then called Barracuda) - Mike Chandler on bass anyone? Steve ? (American guitarist). Again, John was always the unassuming lead guitarist that just shone when he soloed.

My last involvement with John was as a fill in guitarist with a rock band ("Roadworks") playing at an early Edge of the World Festival. The rehearsal was fabulous (and recorded) - especially the two blues improvisations, but John just didn't turn up on the day of the gig for some reason!! (we had another guitarist).

Anyway, good to hear he's still active (I know he's very busy with his teaching).
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Default after hours

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Aye, but the point is, just because the man is shy, that's hardly any reason to put him down. I think John's days of throwing himself about the stage are long gone. You don't have to throw yourself around to look like you're enjoying yourself imo. Look at Nate Mendel from the Foo's. Pretty much stands in the same place all gig, bobs his head out of time and he's having fun.

Jumping around the stage is all very well, but if your band are crap, or you have no ability... then it makes no difference.
    i agree,i think someboy is speaking through a hole in his can

Quote Originally Posted by Deemac View Post
    As we all seem to be on the John Newton theme, hear are some of my own thoughts.

I met John early 1986. Myself (drums) and Graham Fulton (bass) started to rehearse with John in Tommie Robertson's studio (Sailing Shoes) at Scapa House Hotel. We didn't get very far as a band until Jamie Sutherland from Wick joined on vocals and harmonica. We decided to call ourselves the "Tomb Stone Blues Band" (or TSB band!!), but rapidly changed this to "Against the Grain."

John was always the star of the show and when he flew, he flew with the highest I've ever had the pleasure of playing with. His slide playing could leave punters in tears. We played in such notable venues as Domino's in Wick, the American Base at Forss and many local pubs etc. I can't recall how long this band lasted but have some recordings of John (One recorded live in the Thurso Club dated 30/01/1987 on cassette!!) John and I also collaborated with a fabulous singer called Ralph ??? (sorry I don't recall his second name) with some original pop type material. (we never gigged).

This came and went and I seem to remember eventually ending up with John in the afore mentioned Ian Sinclairs band (then called Barracuda) - Mike Chandler on bass anyone? Steve ? (American guitarist). Again, John was always the unassuming lead guitarist that just shone when he soloed.

My last involvement with John was as a fill in guitarist with a rock band ("Roadworks") playing at an early Edge of the World Festival. The rehearsal was fabulous (and recorded) - especially the two blues improvisations, but John just didn't turn up on the day of the gig for some reason!! (we had another guitarist).

Anyway, good to hear he's still active (I know he's very busy with his teaching).
    Steve Lewis was the american guitarist. And was it Ralph Rawson or Ralph Pringle who was the mystery singer???

I know of 3 Ralphs who used to live in Thurso. I surely must know the one in question, but I can't fathom it. Is it the Ralph who used to live above the Comm - the old Sheiling when it was a flat? If so, he's now married to my close pal's sister and lives in Edinburgh. My other pal Ralph is a sexual panther who does sound engineering at the venues Henry's and The Ark in Edinburgh, too.

Steve Lewis, by the way, gave me my first shot at playing a left-handed guitar. Taught me how to play Framed by Cheech & Chong, the first song I ever played in a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Steve Lewis was the american guitarist. And was it Ralph Rawson or Ralph Pringle who was the mystery singer???
    Yes, Steve Lewis - A very fine chap in the American navy.

I really can't remember Ralph's second name and neither of these are ringing any bells. He was quite tall, curly hair, seemed to get into trouble when he drinked too much (which was often - and one of the reasons why the band never took off!!) Great singer, very soulful voice.

He was quite tall, curly hair, seemed to get into trouble when he drinked too much (which was often - and one of the reasons why the band never took off!!)
    HA HA HA thats Ralph Rawson to a T, I gaurantee it. Ask Clash67 he'll tell ya

said it once i will say it again

'mon the newton
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Red face

I really can't remember Ralph's second name and neither of these are ringing any bells. He was quite tall, curly hair, seemed to get into trouble when he drinked too much (which was often - and one of the reasons why the band never took off!!) Great singer, very soulful voice.
    "Drinked"? That's a new one on me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    I think it was meant to be "drinketh"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    Is "Sip" any better for you Aaldtimer?
    (OK, so it should have been "drunk" - I made a mistake, woop-de-doo . . . . .)

What is it on this forum with all the spelling Nazi, perfect diction and English nit-picking?

Don't know just where this leaves the texting brigade!! (LOL)

Talking

No racism please Deemac! English nits are no worse than our own!
    Would "drank" not be more correct?

Is "Sip" any better for you Aaldtimer?
    (OK, so it should have been "drunk" - I made a mistake, woop-de-doo . . . . .)

What is it on this forum with all the spelling Nazi, perfect diction and English nit-picking?

Don't know just where this leaves the texting brigade!! (LOL)
    This is from a man who commented on someone's poor spelling the other week. Bit of a cheek I think...

Just a quick question, is this the same Ian Sinclair who teaches at the Thurso College?
    I Was Born Brilliant; Education Ruined Me

I'm pretty sure he does yeah, or at least, he used to

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12