Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Hours tonight in Halkirk

Default After Hours tonight in Halkirk

Hi All
    After Hours are playing the Smiddy Bar tonight in Halkirk. John Newton on guitar, no Stu Maitland this time sadly. Hope a few can brave the weather - its a new music venue and deserves supporting. 9.00 till late. Hope to see lots there.
    Dave

Wow! The once reclusive John Newton. Finally overcome his stagefright, has he?

And a man with less reason to have any hesitation you could not find.

How was this gig?

I've heard its quite a small venue.

Just being nosey!!
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

We had to play a little more quietly but there were about 30 people there. Considering that it was as foul a night as we've had for a while it went really well.
    The space is split at the bottom where we played by access to exits and toilets so it takes a bit of working out how to set up but a good crowd, I'd go back certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    We had to play a little more quietly but there were about 30 people there. Considering that it was as foul a night as we've had for a while it went really well.
    The space is split at the bottom where we played by access to exits and toilets so it takes a bit of working out how to set up but a good crowd, I'd go back certainly.
    I'm glad to read that it went well!

'mon the newton
    Big Imagination For Feeling Young Cause Life Yearns Real Optimism

Default after hours

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    ive known john newton for a long time,i,ve seen him play to on to many stages and to well to be someone suffering from stagefright, he is just a bit shy,your opinion on him is far out as the contents of your first nappie.

He was as impressive as ever.

I have also seen John Newton play many's a time, the man is excellent, and a hell of a nice bloke, when I was growing up in Thurso I could hear him practice from my bedroom windae . Also had many good nights watching After Hours, Ian Sinclair is one of my heros, and they played at my wedding

And this comment comes from the man who's a superstar on the stage?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    I have also seen John Newton play many's a time, the man is excellent, and a hell of a nice bloke, when I was growing up in Thurso I could hear him practice from my bedroom windae . Also had many good nights watching After Hours, Ian Sinclair is one of my heros, and they played at my wedding
    Never saw John playing, but my brother in law, Wullie ( an excellent player himself ) and other players I used to know really, really rated John, especially his slide guitar abilities.

I've known John since I was 11 or 12 years old. He taught me how to play and he was a fantastic teacher aswell as a great bloke.

His guitar abilities are amazing. He can play all styles of guitar to a fantastic level but I would say that it is slide, blues and country where he really excels himself.

[QUOTE=Jeemag_USA;303293]Ian Sinclair is one of my heros [QUOTE]

Ian Sinclair is one of my heroes aswell Jeemag. If I have half as much enthusiasm for local live music as he does when I am his age then I would be delighted.

Ian has been more than helpful to me in my own musical development and has also helped alot of the younger generation of musicians in Caithness. A true legend in the music scene who often goes un-noticed.

Aye!

[quote=theboss;303461][quote=Jeemag_USA;303293]Ian Sinclair is one of my heros

Ian Sinclair is one of my heroes aswell Jeemag. If I have half as much enthusiasm for local live music as he does when I am his age then I would be delighted.

Ian has been more than helpful to me in my own musical development and has also helped alot of the younger generation of musicians in Caithness. A true legend in the music scene who often goes un-noticed.

Aye!
    Here ! Here ! Ian has been involved in local music going back a long time at least to the 60's ( might be into the late 1950's ? ) He has had many bands over the years and given many people the opportunity to play. A favourite band of mine based around Ian was " Harvey and the Wallbangers"

I've only known Ian for a couple of years, but he's some kid. Very, very helpful to local musicians. Many bands, including my own, have a lot to thank that man for. He's very underrated in the local music scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    And this comment comes from the man who's a superstar on the stage?
    Superstar and stagefright are two different things. Am no' guitar-posing narcissist, either, but I fair put myself about onstage and actually look like am enjoying it, unlike so many young po-faced guitarists these days. Cheer up.

Am Legion on the dance-flair, though, by the way.

Last edited by The Pepsi Challenge; 29-Nov-07 at 16:57.

The guy was a bit of a myth/ enigma during my teen years. Never seen him play once. Not too bothered, mind. Will he be playing any gigs around Christmas time? I heard he can play the 'Crossroads cutting-heads' duel - I'd love to see/ hear that.

Superstar and stagefright are two different things. Am no' guitar-posing narcissist, either, but I fair put myself about onstage and actually look like am enjoying it, unlike so many young po-faced guitarists these days. Cheer up.

Am Legion on the dance-flair, though, by the way.

Aye, but the point is, just because the man is shy, that's hardly any reason to put him down. I think John's days of throwing himself about the stage are long gone. You don't have to throw yourself around to look like you're enjoying yourself imo. Look at Nate Mendel from the Foo's. Pretty much stands in the same place all gig, bobs his head out of time and he's having fun.

Jumping around the stage is all very well, but if your band are crap, or you have no ability... then it makes no difference.

As we all know, gauging emotion is difficult to render through text, so, for the record, I wasn't putting him down. When I was growing up, me and my guitar-related pals often sought out gigs where John Newton was playing, because... he was the bees-knees apparently. Thing is, he never did appear when we turned up. I reckon it was our bad fashion sense and furrowed eyebrows that put him off, but I've genuinely been wanting to see him play since I were a nipper. Seeing as you seem to know him, Jeid, do you know when he's playing next? I would really love to see him play. Seriously.

As for Nate? Well, as you rightly say, he does very little. Which is probably why I can't picture him, nor remember much about his performances the last two times I've seen Foo Fighters.

Anyway, check out Wilko Johnson here with Dr. Feelgood. Now that's a gadge worth watching on the guitar.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_jmIYyskDM8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast