Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Birthday Notifications

Default Birthday Notifications

I have listened to a concern on the TV about revealing too much info on message boards and the risks of identity theft. We are a small community up here and I feel that the birthday notifications could reveal to someone the date of birth for that to happen. We all would like to think it couldn't happen but I think it could. So do we really need it?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Must confess, Rheghead... apart from the members list (which should only be available to members!) I have been unable to find birthday details or alerts anywhere else.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Any individual who is concerned with security in relation to the revelation of their birthday need only edit their profile in the User CP and remove their DoB as it is entirely optional - it is from this that the birthday notifications are derived. However as most users are also hidden behind a pseudonym it makes identity theft that much harder.

If you want to go down that road what about all the folk who put their kids names/address & age in the local papers wishing them a happy birthday
    isnt that the same as advertising all their details?
    The man who views the world at fifty,
    the same as he did at twenty,
    has wasted thirty years of his life.