Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Brown IS Annie: Giggles

I checked out the Ark this afternoon on the off hand chance the band was setting up. Alas, no one was there for all was in place. The tables and chairs were set too. Yes, tables and chairs, not like that club that theboysintheband dragged me out to where you have to stand the whole time. The Ark has a great huge room with a decent sized stage. So Pepsi and crew should have a great evening.

Just home from a fantastic time at the Madog. It was an evening, far, far away from anything I would normally do on a Monday night. And the music was good as well.

Yes, dear orgers, our Pepsi Challenge has a full head of brilliantly blond hair. And he wears it superbly. Guitar playing is fine too.

theboysintheband, you really want to plan to be at the hot chocolate gig next Wednesday.

Hope the gigs have gone/go well pepsi

Smile

O yea sorry Canuck! I contacted Pepsi about no makin' last night! I was pretty ill...and whats worse...I'm makin' a trip north next week and my bleedin' lift is Wed night!

There'll be plenty other times I'm sure!

First gig was a bit of a nightmare: my new amp blew a valve before the end of the first tune. You could say my enthusiasm was damper than Scotland's Euro qualifying dream. Still, was impressed by the girls we managed to pull to the venue, and danced/ screamed/ jiggled throughout. Must have been Marc's new haircut or something.

Madogs: smart, but casual as the old Flicks posters used to say. Decent sound, made some new fans, got asked back for a fee-paying stint. A good night all round. And met canuck, too, a delightfully chipper wifie from the country with the Maple leaf. A joy to chat to.

Starbucks next Wednesday. Payment in muffins and espresso. Surely we can't mess that one up. What was it Meatloaf once sang: Two out of three ain't bad? Fingers crossed. And two sugars, please.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    As Frank Zappa said many moons ago: "What musicians tend to eat is usually brown and lumpy." What he meant by this is that musicians don't get paid enough for what they do and can only afford to eat crud. And he was right. Musicians make the music industry billions and billions of pounds - and in the end, often owe the industry money back. Wrong? You betcha.

Furthermore, it's also the bands who are part of the problem. They do themselves no favours when it comes to getting paid. As I said, (in Edinburgh at least) bands are all too willing to play gigs for next to nothing. Some even pay-to-play. Fools. Publicans like this attitude, though. If bands refuse to take what's offered to them, they know there's another 100 bands waiting to take their place. So we, the musicians, need to start charging what we believe we're worth.
    Has your attitude changed about playing for free?
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

If it's free, as Colonel Parker once said, how much does it cost?

As a relatively new band with limited repertoire, I don't feel we are capable of justifying a fee-paying gig. Yet. The reason to play Madogs for free was a simple one: we were doing the headlining band, good friends Bleeker, a favour as they were recording a live album that evening. Friends often do this kind of thing.

Starbucks are paying our travel expenses plus giving us food and drink. That, in my view, is also payment.

I don't play for nothing.

Well you'd better take decaf or you'll be up all night.....
    In mitigation Mr Bruce de Wert said his client had been drinking and could remember little of the incident.

Two double espressos every day during the month of August is not unheard of. More a tea man, maesel, though.

The twin lures of (1) hot chocolate and (2) the chance to gaze again on Pepsi's jacket of many colours are both pretty strong, but, yes but, it looks like work duty calls me on Wednesday evening. Sorry! Maybe next time.

Understandable, canuck. But snow worries - the gig at Starbucks has been canceled. We'll be playing another gig at Po Na Na, on Hanover Street, on Saturday 22nd December.

I know this is probably a stupid question, but why don't you have a bass player??

... We'll be playing another gig at Po Na Na, on Hanover Street, on Saturday 22nd December.
    Pepsi, is this still on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    I know this is probably a stupid question, but why don't you have a bass player??
    Because it would only get in the way. We do, however, use an Electro-harmonix Octaver to cover the low frequencies that people who love bass can't do without.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Pepsi, is this still on?
    It certainly is, canuck. New Found Sound - the promoters - only allow one guestlist spot per member of the band, but you're welcome to have mine if you fancy coming along?

It certainly is, canuck. New Found Sound - the promoters - only allow one guestlist spot per member of the band, but you're welcome to have mine if you fancy coming along?
    What time? I'll be there.

Sorry Pepsi, only just getting round to giving this a blast, and it sounds great, very funky indeed. Now, is it just me being a crappy MySpacer, or is there only one track on there at the mo? No matter, I love the sound, and look forward to hearing more.
    WeeBurd.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    What time? I'll be there.
    7.30pm sharp, I think, canuck. There's strict stage times so when I get them (tomorrow) I'll let you know straight away

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    Sorry Pepsi, only just getting round to giving this a blast, and it sounds great, very funky indeed. Now, is it just me being a crappy MySpacer, or is there only one track on there at the mo? No matter, I love the sound, and look forward to hearing more.
    Cheers burdy. We did have 5 tunes up but just trying 1 (a day at the moment) to judge how many listens it gets. We're averaging 250 a day. No doubt we'll have a different one up tomorrow. Thanks for listening!

We'll be playing another gig at Po Na Na, on Hanover Street, on Saturday 22nd December.
    The others in the fan club might want to note that it is on Frederick Street, not Hanover.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast