Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: James Brown IS Annie: Giggles

Default James Brown IS Annie: Giggles

For the benefit of, well, at least canuck, here's a list of some gigs James Brown Is Annie are playing in Edinburgh over the next wee while in November:

Sat 17 - The Ark - Waterloo Place
    Mon 19 - Madogs - George Street
    Wed 28 - Starbucks - Royal Mile (the coffee shop and no' a tink's front room)

Still waiting on confirmation of a support slot with Bad Manners at the Liquid Room in December, as well as gigs at Po Na Na and spanking brand new Edinburgh venue, The Voodoo Rooms.

The launch of our debut album, Any Resemblance Is Purely Coincidental, will be released, hopefully, around the end of January-beginning of February, as well. It was recorded at the world famous Dunnet Head Lighthouse by sound engineers in old-fashioned lab-coats. Good, it most certainly was.

Check it here: www.myspace.com/jamesbrownisannie

Also...
    It's not often I advocate other bands, but y'all might want to check out a group from Edinburgh called Saint Jude's Infirmary. I met up with them to do a piece for the Record a couple of weeks ago. On their new album, they have Ian Rankin singing and writing lyrics for their song, The Foot Of The Walk. Controversial artist, Jack Vettriano (famous for his Singing Butler painting) has done a self-portrait for the album's artwork. Both Rankin and Vet' appear on their video, Goodbye Jack Vettriano at Portobello beach, literally a two-minute walk fae the house here. Check it all out here:
    www.myspace.com/saintjudesinfirmary

And pix of the band recording with Rankin and Vettriano here: www.flickr.com/photos/nealesmithphotography
    Last edited by The Pepsi Challenge; 15-Nov-07 at 00:05.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    For the benefit of, well, at least canuck, here's a list of some gigs James Brown Is Annie are playing in Edinburgh over the next wee while in November:

Fri 17 - The Ark - Waterloo Place

Still waiting on confirmation of a support slot with Bad Manners at the Liquid Room in December, as well as gigs at Po Na Na and spanking brand new Edinburgh venue, The Voodoo Rooms.

The launch of our debut album, Any Resemblance Is Purely Coincidental, will be released, hopefully, around the end of January-beginning of February, as well. It was recorded at the world famous Dunnet Head Lighthouse by sound engineers in old-fashioned lab-coats. Good, it most certainly was.

Also...
    It's not often I advocate other bands, but y'all might want to check out a group from Edinburgh called Saint Jude's Infirmary. I met up with them to do a piece for the Record a couple of weeks ago. On their new album, they have Ian Rankin singing and writing lyrics for their song, The Foot Of The Walk. Controversial artist, Jack Vettriano (famous for his Singing Butler painting) has done a self-portrait for the album's artwork. Both Rankin and Vet' appear on their video, Goodbye Jack Vettriano at Portobello beach, literally a two-minute walk fae the house here. Check it all out here:
    www.myspace.com/saintjudesinfirmary

And pix of the band recording with Rankin and Vettriano here: www.flickr.com/photos/nealesmithphotography
    Really great stuff peps. I am a big fan of hammond organ / organ playing, who is playing with you ? Any appearances up north planned ?

JBIA's octave-guitarist, Marc Mowbray, is responsible for the Hammond playing, Rob. Marc owns a piano-bar called the Ratpack in Edinburgh (www.ratpackpianobar.com), so is no stranger to the sounds of a Hammond, Rhodes or Wurly. It's quite a satisfying sight seeing the horn (no sniggering please) of a Leslie speaker spin as the sound reverberates.

No plans to play in the Far North as of yet, but you never know. Will keep you posted if we do.

Last edited by The Pepsi Challenge; 14-Nov-07 at 11:16.

might try an dive through from the 'deen for at least one o those pepsi... fair enjoyed your crowd the night you trekked up to play in the blackstairs along with superelvis - and of course chobbersjnr jivin away on the dancefloor - classic.
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

Yeah, it was quite a sight. It's always the best shots that escape the camera, eh? And not that am flattered, but I assume you'd have another reason for visiting Edinburgh other than to see us? You won't get a three-hour-Bruce-Springsteen-type-show out of us quite yet. Though I would recommend this week's shindig at The Ark. The gig at Madogs is a last-minute half-hour set for a pal who is recording a live set there, and Starbucks? Well, if drinking coffee and eating muffins to funky tunes is your bag, then, who am I to stop you.

You should make friends with Super's alter-ego, Turbo Elvis GTI by the way: www.myspace.com/turboelvisgti

Fri 17 - The Ark - Waterloo Place

I loved it! I'll be there!

Had a listen on the myspace, sounding really, really good, nice tracks, like the title and the theme, great work!

Cheers Jeemag. Quite like your tunes, too, but I'll wait until am asked to cover one of your gigs before I sharpen the knife. Thanks lad.
    P*

Quote Originally Posted by rob murray View Post
    Really great stuff peps. I am a big fan of hammond organ / organ playing, who is playing with you ? Any appearances up north planned ?
    The Hammond is a restored 1964 L102 and the Leslie a 1972 solid state. the album is sounding great and almost finished. A lot of mixing done with Revox and Fostex recorders along with Protools
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Del Gado is currently being evilly harmonica'd.......................man this track is sounding EVIL!!!!

Smile

Is it Fri 16th or Sat 17th? Ur confusin' me Pepsi!!!

I cant make either but I'll def try to come along to the Monday night one! altho...Sitting back with a Hot Chocolate, listenin' to some Funky Blues sounds like a damn good idea...maybe I'll make both!!

Im away to listen to your myspace again! Guitarzan was rite! Could u no take Isaac along an make him dance at e front...I'd pay a little extra for that!

O aye Pepsi, I paid The Rat Pack a visit one night! I've always like the thought of me resting comfortably in a chair sipping on a foreign beer takin' in the sounds of a grand piano...but when I got there it was a guy (very talented all the same) with a keyboard placed on top of the real piano playin' along to The Eagles and Elton John backing tracks. Although the bloke was very talented I was a little disappointed. Is it like that most of the time or did I just pick the wrong night? What night is best to catch the sound of a piano? Its a pretty cool place (with booze discounts!) which I wouldna mind goin back til!

You couldna point me towards e rite night for my fussy, fussy tastes!!

They do have a proper grand piano there - but only the shell. The keyboards are built into it. Not exactly authentic I agree, and it sounds like you were in on a night when, bless 'em, Owen T was playing. Marc and Al are the main two dudes, and I recommend going in on a Saturday night.

And you're right - the gigs are on Sat 17th and Mon 19th, 8pm and 7.30pm starts respectively. As for Chobbers... well, he's a busy man, and with the crummy pay musicians get in Auld Reekie, it's hard to get him down without Marc and I have to go wandering up Calton Hill on a cold night (if you know what I mean). Still, local legend Mike Purcell is our resident Edinburgh drummer, and one funky skin-smacker he is, too. He's played with everyone from Bluefinger to Blues 'N' Trouble. He's no Chobbers, but he can flirt his way around a Zigaboo Modeliste drum-fill any day of the week.

If yourself, or canuck, or whomever wants to come along, drop me a line and I'll put you on the guestlist.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gleber2 View Post
    The Hammond is a restored 1964 L102 and the Leslie a 1972 solid state. the album is sounding great and almost finished. A lot of mixing done with Revox and Fostex recorders along with Protools
    Fantastic sound and playing, well done to all.

Thanks boysintheband for picking up the date confusion. I was planning to head over on Friday evening. Instead, I'll aim for Monday! Let's hope I can find George Street.

Where do we get the hot chocolate? It that the Starbuck's gig?

Madogs is halfway along George Street, canuck. It's a basement bar on the corner of Hanover Street.

Plenty hot chocolate at the Starbucks gig - it's what we're getting paid in.

Hope to see you, or anyone else who is coming along, over the next few days.

Additional song (Peggy Jones: aka Lady Bo) up on MySpace now. By the way, the tunes are unmixed tracks with not all of the overdubs on them.

Additional song (Peggy Jones: aka Lady Bo) up on MySpace now. By the way, the tunes are unmixed tracks with not all of the overdubs on them.
    I think you are in for a surprise when you hear the final master. Awesome sound!!!!
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Cool

Aw rite I see! Yea Im pretty sure that's the bloke!

Why haven't they got a Piano? Surely they'd have paid more for the keyboard than a second hand piano? I'll try to go along on a sat night sometime but I dont really have the same enthusiasm as before, y'know. But at least there some kind of music goin' on!

Who's playin' drums on the recordings? Chobbers? Its sounds like him! They sound great by the way. If ur ever stuck for a drummer feel free to give me a shout, I'll give it a bash! I would be nowt special but it sounds like pretty good stuff to play!

No doubt we'll be seein' you soon! Mon night I'd expect!

Quote Originally Posted by theboysintheband View Post
    Why haven't they got a Piano? Surely they'd have paid more for the keyboard than a second hand piano? I'll try to go along on a sat night sometime but I dont really have the same enthusiasm as before, y'know. But at least there some kind of music goin' on!
    Here, I done this one just for you.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/basin.mp3

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by theboysintheband View Post
    If ur ever stuck for a drummer feel free to give me a shout, I'll give it a bash! I would be nowt special but it sounds like pretty good stuff to play!

so says a cheil that knows how to funk.....................with feeling. Pepsi this lad be no slouch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast