I participate in a hobby called geocaching you can find out all about it at www.geocaching.com. The basic idea is to hide a "cache" somewhere you find interesting for other peole to find using a hand held gps and a clue. It is amazing to see some of the remote and beautifull parts of the country but it is also disgusting to find all the places where litter can turn up. A thing that we do is called "cache in trash out" So when we are searching for or hiding our caches we pick up any bits of litter we find and take them home with us. So that the next visitor will find the place tidyer than it was when i went. This is something I do every time I go out but this year the site is organising a big world wide event see the following link for more info

www.geocaching.com/cito/

Magellan and Groundspeak are sponsoring the first international Cache In Trash Out Day on April 26th, 2003. Cache In Trash Out Day is an opportunity for Geocachers to help clean up the parks and other cache friendly places throughout the world. Through the volunteer efforts of the Geocaching community, we will all help preserve the natural beauty of our outdoor resources. Together, we can make an enormous difference with just a little effort.

Cache In Trash Out Day is made possible by a partnership between Magellan, Groundspeak and the entire Geocaching community with support from businesses and organizations everywhere.

If only everyone put the effort in to keep places tidy events like this would not be needed as there would be no mess to pick up.