Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: what was it?

Default what was it?

ok, no piccy i am afraid, but only a description.
    It was definately a cormorant or shag (i still can't tell the difference!), but its neck was white/light grey? i got binoculars on it and it definately had nothing wrapped round its neck - would it have just been an oddball or is it some sort of visitor? it was swimming and diving in the fish harbour at scrabster this lunch time. i didn't have my camera with me sorry or there would have been a photo.

Any idea on the rest of it's colour Tugs?
    Adult Comorants have whitish cheeks that can extend to about half way down their necks.they appear to have a dark back which from a distance would look almost peat coloured with a greenish irridescent breast.
    The only other thing that comes to mind is a Great Northern Diver that on the water would have a similar outline but a shorter neck, in winter plumage it has a dark top to it's head, greyish white face and neck that extends to it's underbelly.

Hiya lizz,
    to all outward looks i was looking at a cormorant, same beak, colour, everything! it's feathers around it's neck where white/light grey like it was a scarf though. Definately not a diver, i can tell the difference between them and cormorants/shags lol

Never one to resist a challenge I took these 2 in Scrabster harbour this afternoon. Is the lighter one the one you saw tuggy?
    Looking through my birdy book the best I could decide it was, is a red throated diver. The book tells me they lose their distictive throat colour in winter. Can somebody give a definite answer?
    I'm pretty sure the second one is a cormorant.

Just when you think everythings fine, life slaps you in the face.

This one was out of the water and although a cormorant was distinctly lighter than most.

Hiya GH
    no it wasn't the diver, we see that regularly, the one i am quizzing about is definately a cormorant but with white feathers round it's neck, other than that it looks exactly like all the other cormorants (dark in colour) in the harbour.

saw it again and grabbed the camera, sorry for the blurriness it was really keen on fishing and diving!

Default Snap

He he you an' me had the same thoughts grumphippo...but I bet we are agreed that the pic. posted by Tugs is definetly a comorant.

Guess it was just a weirdo marked cormorant at least you know i wasn't seeing things lol

Have to agree its a cormorant. A bit like me....going grey at the edges

Looks more like a Shag to me. Cormorants have much bigger white patches on their cheeks, and the yellow mouth is a little more noticable on a Shag.
    "When not breeding adults have duller plumage and paler chin."...that bit's oot a book!

See where your comming from Aaldtimer perhaps this link will settle the difference.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/cormorant/index.asp#

The second illustration on this link looks very Tuggies picture but then if you go to the shag link the second one there look very similar. I don't suppose the bird really cares as long as it is getting plenty to eat