Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who's the best Scottish male vocalist?

Righto....

Nobody heard of Billy MacKenzie?? The modern day Bonnie Dundee, that bloke.

Plus George Gallacher (The Poets) and Paul Buchanan (The Blue Nile). Both utter gods in their field!!

Quote Originally Posted by WeeRob View Post
    Righto....

Nobody heard of Billy MacKenzie?? The modern day Bonnie Dundee, that bloke.

Plus George Gallacher (The Poets) and Paul Buchanan (The Blue Nile). Both utter gods in their field!!
    Good shout check, I knew George when I was at university, he was a mature student doing politics. At that time period ,late 80's, he had a wee blues band called The Blues Poets. At the time his first band the Poets were signed ( 1965 ) he was also offered pro terms with Glasgow Celtic, some geezer, amazing harp player and singer. Billy Mac, a one off, not sure about the Blue Nile geezer though

Quote Originally Posted by Sporran View Post
    Hmmm......according to Wikipedia, Lloyd Cole is English, not Scottish!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Cole
    I thought there was something fishy about him

Cool

Billy Mackenzie? Aye he hes a toppin' voice! He dis mean versions of 'Take it easy' and 'Walk of Life'...Seen him live a hundred times, doon in e camps!

In vocalist terms I would have to say Frankie Miller.In lyrics and singing his own style of them then its Derek William Dick for me....although his name always sounded FISHy to me
    Their coming to take me away.....haha-hee-hee-ho-ho

Default Scottish male singer

Edwin Collins is just great.

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamweaver View Post

Edwin Collins is just great.
    I recognised the name, but didn't realise Edwyn Collins is a Scot! I loved his catchy hit "A Girl Like You", from 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwyn_Collins
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Farthsbottom III View Post
    In vocalist terms I would have to say Frankie Miller.In lyrics and singing his own style of them then its Derek William Dick for me....although his name always sounded FISHy to me
    Good call, was never really a Marillion fan but Fish did have a great voice though, didn't even think about him.

James Brown IS Annie considered getting a singer, for a while. This was our auditioning process: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8rLMrE...eature=related

I think a few of them went on to land jobs in Astronot...

Just jestin', Jeid, just jestin'....

John Martyn has a sublime voice and has written some of the greatest songs ever.

Amongst singers that good there is no hierarchy, merely difference.

Donovan has a beautiful voice.

Bon Scott is the greatest rock singer of all time, if Alex Harvey is squeezed into the 'avante-garde rock' category....

Edwyn Collins is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Boozeburglar View Post
    John Martyn .....Donovan has a beautiful voice.
    man its amazing how easy it is to forget some folk, agree on both of these, class!

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

Talking about forgetting some folk, I forgot to mention Ian Anderson, "The Voice of Jethro Tull"! To be perfectly honest, I only learned within the past few years that he is a Scot. I always thought he was English, as that is how he sounds when he sings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Anderson_%28musician%29
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Talking about forgetting some folk, I forgot to mention Ian Anderson, "The Voice of Jethro Tull"! To be perfectly honest, I only learned within the past few years that he is a Scot. I always thought he was English, as that is how he sounds when he sings.
    There is an old story about a Sutherland man who was having an affair with a farmers wife. One day the farmer comes back from the fields early and finds them together so he goes and gets his shotgun and blasts the man right in his matrimonial prospects with bird shot.

The man runs off and is found naked and bleeding at the side of the A9, they rush him to Raigmore where they pick out the shot then the doctor frowns, shakes his head and says "there is nothing more I can do but if you go up to the fish farm at Strathaird and ask for a man called Ian Anderson he'll be able to help you".

"Is he a surgeon?" asked the man "No" replied the doctor "but he can teach you how to hold it so you don't get your shoes wet".

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    There is an old story about a Sutherland man who was having an affair with a farmers wife. One day the farmer comes back from the fields early and finds them together so he goes and gets his shotgun and blasts the man right in his matrimonial prospects with bird shot.

The man runs off and is found naked and bleeding at the side of the A9, they rush him to Raigmore where they pick out the shot then the doctor frowns, shakes his head and says "there is nothing more I can do but if you go up to the fish farm at Strathaird and ask for a man called Ian Anderson he'll be able to help you".

"Is he a surgeon?" asked the man "No" replied the doctor "but he can teach you how to hold it so you don't get your shoes wet".
    AAAAAAAAAAARGH HA HA HA HA

Thumbs up

Fish, Especially his first solo Album.

late to this thread too

One name sprang straight to mind, immediately I read the question: Fish. Excellent vocalist (and I still very much like Marillion)

Nik Kershaw was always a pretty excellent musician and clever vocalist too. The Riddle was a terrific track.
    Lives of great men all remind us, we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us, footprints on the sands of time.
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Good shout on the Edwin Collins front.

I just recently got introduced to Orange Juice - fantastic band.

I recognised the name, but didn't realise Edwyn Collins is a Scot! I loved his catchy hit "A Girl Like You", from 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwyn_Collins
    Not only is he a Scot, but he also lived for a while in Helmsdale! His grandfather lived all his life there, now Edwyn owns his gran'-faither's hoosie. Did a programme on the area for STV, seemed really sincere about it too - loves collecting fossils from the beach apparently...

Dunno if he's been up in a while tho, since he's been extremely unwell. There are few songs about the region one of his solo albums apparently, with lyrics all about the Whaligoe steps!

Surprised Norman Blake, Raymond McGinley and Gerard Love havent got a mention a.k.a Teenage Fanclub

Jim Hunter - writes and sings with such emotion.....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast