Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New Plant for the County

Thumbs up New Plant for the County

I found a new plant last week. It is a garden escape called the Lesser Knotweed Persicaria campanulata which is growing on the edge of a layby near Watten at Ordnance Survey location ND249568. It is new to Caithness but has been found in Orkney and Invernesshire previously.

I wonder how it got there! Will spread and take over?

If it is anything like the Japanese Knotweed then Watten has a big problem.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    If it is anything like the Japanese Knotweed then Watten has a big problem.

It seems to be different. There are a few patches of Japanese Knotweed in Caithness which are small and seem to be containing themselves I never understood why the council never cleaned them up. If they do spread, as you say there will be a big problem.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

Apparently the caithness weather is not suitable for it to spread as it does everywhere else.

So where are these patches of Japanese Knotweed? Is anyone able to make a list with map references?

There is /was a patch behind boots, at least two patches up at Newtonill and another on the path out to the trinkie close to the old life boat shed.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

The garden of the old croft at Courtfall, Brough is full of Japanese Knotweed but it shows no sign of spreading.