Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Guess what ...

Very windy here last night, but suspiciously calm here now.

We're being lulled into a false sense of security I think....

Tuggs, I couldn't help laughing - Edinburgh is a very windy city!

Some days you just have to turn a corner into the wind, and you feel as if the side of your face has been sliced off!

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    We have a loose tile that rattles but it still looks intact. In fact we still dont know for sure which one it is. So it could be that.
    What sort of noise does it make Kas? Our noise is really hard to describe but it sounds more like the noise you get when a wooden gate bangs if that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Squiggle View Post
    We have a massive argument raging in Chez Squiggle - the better half thinks the rattle is coming from the chimney, as our chimney pot is cracked and needs replacing (so wind is getting down and rattling the flue), whereas I insist it is the Sky dish banging (it's definitely metalic sounding and is coming from the front wall). We don't have Sky so I'm off up a ladder today to take the horrible thing down and prove my point. Anything to avoid spending half the night pressing ears against chimney, then wall, then chimney again ... it's a pathetic sight to see two adults bickering at 4 in the morning.
    Glad it's not just us then!!!lol

It is so annoying not knowing what it is! Like you, our ears are up against the wall, chimney etc but the problem is the noise seems to go along the whole of the wall and sounds like it is inside the wall!!!

Hope taking the Sky dish down works for you!

Don't have a clue what to about ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    What sort of noise does it make Kas? Our noise is really hard to describe but it sounds more like the noise you get when a wooden gate bangs if that makes sense?
    Yes it does sound a bit like that.

All the Orkney schools are closed tomorrow due to the forecast.
    Away with the birds

so is orkneys forecast worse than ours for tomorrow?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kas View Post
    Yes it does sound a bit like that.

All the Orkney schools are closed tomorrow due to the forecast.

Thanks Kas! Maybe that's what it is then as some of our tiles are 'out of place' but still on the roof thankfully!
    Wonder who I can get to come and look at it without charging too much?

any caithness schools closed tomorrow ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    any caithness schools closed tomorrow ??
    I think it's too early to say.

Thurso High pupils were given leaflets today with information about what people should do in bad weather.

Is this the calm before the storm, it is suspiciously calm out there

Quote Originally Posted by corgiman View Post
    Is this the calm before the storm, it is suspiciously calm out there

was thinking the same
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Exclamation weather

Has anyone else seen the weather forecast for tomorrow? It doesn't look good!
    ............................AHOY HOY........................

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    was thinking the same
    Yes!
    this is the calm before the storm. The Hamnavoe has cancelled all sailing tomorrow due to the forecast and I am sooo glad i don't have to go to the point of the pier, though it wont stop me taking a look from the comfort of my car lol.
    The storm should start making itself known regarding high winds from about 6am maybe a wee bit earlier or later, but we will be over the worst of it in the early hours of friday morning
    Don't be surprised if we get a mix of hail and thunder in it, it is very much dependant on how quickly the cold air is dragged in behind the centre of the low, but there is a possibility of it and it's going to feel VERY cold in the afternoon!

Tugs, thanks for all of your careful plotting of this storm. I decided that all the leaves would be down from the trees by tomorrow evening, so this afternoon, while all was still reasonable out there, I finally cleaned the scum from the little pond in my back yard and got it better ready to take on the winter. Ricco, your instructions worked to a T.

Latest update is that it is still surprisingly calm.............................................. .........................................
    .................................................. ...............................................
    FOR NOW!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by quirbal View Post
    Latest update is that it is still surprisingly calm.............................................. .........................................
    .................................................. ...............................................
    FOR NOW!!!!!!!!
    where are you quirbal? it is calm for now

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    where are you quirbal? it is calm for now
    Just outside Wick. Although I'm seeing a bit of wind now but still relatively calm.

the barometer has started to drop now, so expect the wind to start picking up from now, but i don't think it will be drastic until early tomorrow morning

Unhappy

Thanks as always for the warning Tugs.

Just hope the electric holds out so I can keep filling the hot water bottles!
    I am really cold tonight so goodness knows what tomorrow will be like!

Cheers once again Tuggs. Hubby is working in Scrabster tomorrow and is not looking forward to it one bit. I'll zip him into his survival suit before he leaves the house - throw him a rope if you see him hurtling past.

Wind is picking up now on Skye, hope everyone stays safe and not too much damage is caused.

I better get out first thing to get some candles, just in case
    Wishing on a star, still!

~~Be who you are and say what you want because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind~~

This one gives an idea of what's coming tomorrow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast/pressure/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast