Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: refuse blood transfusions

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew C View Post
    The person who becomes a Christian is not free to just go on sinning because they are forgiven.

AC
    They just reapply for a ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolution
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    If that was the case then she should have accepted the blood transfusion. I wasn't aware that there was a 'recovery' system for spilt blood during an operation, even so, I'd imagine that there would be sterile issues surrounding recovery of blood during childbirth, I'm specifically thinking of the torn region of where the bleeding is coming from and the timescales involved in getting any sterile blood back into a patients body.
    Apparently there are several such systems available. It seems that patients can donate units beforehand or lost blood can be recovered in an emergency situation.

There is an interesting article on their use in the case of Jehovah's Witness patients here:-

http://www.anesthesia-analgesia.org/...29-a#RL2-83636

Obviously, if Jehovahs are to require such equipment, it raises questions on the extra drain on resources, budgets etc of the Hospital involved.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    Apparently there are several such systems available. It seems that patients can donate units beforehand or lost blood can be recovered in an emergency situation.
    So did the JW donate or even attempt to donate blood beforehand?

It is not likely that a pregnant woman would be allowed to pre-store (this is not a donation) her blood. I don't know for sure, I am just suggesting that likely such gathering would be restricted because one needs all the nutrients, especially iron, that one has to support normal fetal development.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    It is not likely that a pregnant woman would be allowed to pre-store (this is not a donation) her blood. I don't know for sure, I am just suggesting that likely such gathering would be restricted because one needs all the nutrients, especially iron, that one has to support normal fetal development.
    So it would be folly to introduce the notion that the system failed her then?

They just reapply for a ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolution
    Some of us are slow learners and it takes us awhile to get going in a healthy direction. So, yes, grace does allow for repeat absolution.

And fortunately the absolver is extremely patient. However there is a caution that this is not a system that should be abused. I've never pushed it to find out if there is a cut off point. I would think that most people 'get it' long before an end point would begin to loom large on the horizon.

So it would be folly to introduce the notion that the system failed her then?
    I meant that the technology existed to gather the blood so that it could be recycled into her blood stream. That is the part of the system I was suggesting failed her.

However, since I first put up that suggestion it has been pointed out to me that the tabloid in question is not one that should be used as a resource for a serious discussion. I beg your patience while I learn the ins and outs of British journalism.

Still, I can make the point that we don't know all of the components of this story.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I meant that the technology existed to gather the blood so that it could be recycled into her blood stream. That is the part of the system I was suggesting failed her.
    Yeah but haven't you just precluded that a pregnant woman would use such a system?

Yeah but haven't you just precluded that a pregnant woman would use such a system?
    Rheghead, we seem to be like ships passing in the night here. The technology which I am refering to is the gathering of the blood from the severed vessels that won't clot. By that point in the process she had given birth.

You would need to ask her family. I am merely pointing out that the technology exists and can be made available.

My opinion is that it is folly to refuse anything that could help save your life. I also have doubts on how far we should stretch to accommodate ALL possible beliefs, when it might result in an inferior service overall.
    Last edited by scorrie; 08-Nov-07 at 00:01.

Default Black pudding

Quote Originally Posted by htwood View Post
    What...give up black pudding?
    Would that be like blood pudding?

It would indeed oldmarine.

I have not checked the full details of how the blood transfusion came to be needed or if there was any failure in some system which was expected to be there for use if such a thing were required.

What amazes me is that so many people who are willing to pass judgement on somebody's religious beliefs simply because they do not conform with the beliefs they themselves hold, be those religious, agnostic, atheist, humanitarian, moral or whatever other label they wish to hang on them.

The woman made a conscious and obviously previously considered decision about what treatment she should or should not receive in a particular set of circumstances. The fact that we, as individuals, would have made a different decision is frankly irrelevant. We would make a decision which we would consider correct, she made a decision which she considered correct.

Provided the Witnesses do not wish to interfere with the decisions we ourselves would make on the subject I would say that we can hardly claim the right to interfere with their decisions.
    The fact that we consider that we are absolutely right is, in effect, no more justifiable than their belief that they are absolutely right.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    Provided the Witnesses do not wish to interfere with the decisions we ourselves would make on the subject I would say that we can hardly claim the right to interfere with their decisions.
    The fact that we consider that we are absolutely right is, in effect, no more justifiable than their belief that they are absolutely right.
    Do you really think that the loss of a mother to two babies doesn't interfere with the way I look at society, least of all the extra tax burden that a loss of a parent incurs?

So it's not about the moral issues or anything concerning the children, it's simply about how much it could cost the tax-payer.
    And we are to criticise the actions of the mother?

Quote Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
    So it's not about the moral issues or anything concerning the children, it's simply about how much it could cost the tax-payer.
    And we are to criticise the actions of the mother?
    I said LEAST of all the tax burden. Can you not read?

ye canna keep a shark away fae the scent o blood rheg .

it 's a cryin shame for the poor weans . i never heard of recycled blood , maybe it can save jh 's lives but they canna expect to just turn up and demand the service ???

Yes, I read the full sentence and can see no other interpretation or there would have been no requirement for any comment about the extra tax burden the loss of a parent incurs.
    Apart from that single comment I have no recollection of the financial implications having been mentioned by anyone.

Richman, I think somebody said that the Hospital was chosen specifically because it did have such facilities. I can't remember if they still do but Hospitals certainly used to ask you your religion as a matter of course so I would have thought would have been well aware of the situation concerning blood transfusions.

That isn't meant as any criticism of the Hospital because I don't know if the situation could have been anticipated or if they were caught out by a sudden last minute appearance of the mother-to-be.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234