Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disasters at Sea

Default Disasters at Sea

Further to recent entries, in case anyone is interested, here is a transcription of an article from the 'Groat in 1848 about a disaster in the Pentland Firth. The George Green who drowned was my ggg-grandfather.

John O’Groat Journal – 28th April 1848
    Fatal Accident – Five Men Drowned

Again is there “lamentation and weeping and great mourning” amongst the relatives of the hardy sons of the sea on our remote shores, occasioned by the occurrence of a melancholy catastrophe, by which five men have been drowned.

On Friday last, one of the Duncansbay pilot boats left the shore, in order to pilot through the Pentland Firth a northbound vessel that had hoisted colours for a pilot. The weather had previously been somewhat unsettled, and as there was a pretty smart breeze from the NE, there was a good deal of sea, but not so much as to occasion any alarm in the minds of the pilots and their friends. Six men manned the boat, and having safely reached the vessel, one of their number, as is the practice, was put on board – the remainder of the crew keeping in their boat which was taken in tow by the vessel.

Soon after this occurred the sad accident. The rope by which the boat was attached to the vessel suddenly broke, but the same force which snapped it in two also dragged the boat violently to the vessel, which was then pitching heavily, and in a moment the little bark was under the vessel’s quarter. The vessel lurched, the boat was upset, and the five poor men were in an instant engulfed in the water. All was now excitement on board; every effort was made to save the drowning pilots, but one by one they sank, with one exception. The mate immediately got a rope attached round his waist and bravely plunged into the sea, in order if possible to save the last of the five. By means of a boat-hook he got hold of the man by the jacket, was taken on board himself, and just when in the act of taking the man on board, his jacket tore – the hold was let go – the poor fellow fell, and was in one moment under the briny wave.

Since the above was in type, the following more minute account has been kindly furnished us, as having been received from the lips of the only survivor: -

“The boat, manned with six hands, sailed from Duncansbay to pilot a vessel – the William Gouland of Sunderland. The wind was easterly, with rather a heavy sea. The men’s names were George Green, nearly 50 years of age; his oldest son Andrew Green, unmarried about 25; Hugh Manson and William Manson, brothers, the latter unmarried; James Simpson and Malcolm Dunnet, both married; - the last is the only survivor of the whole.

They had reached the ship in safety, and Malcolm Dunnet had gone on board to act as pilot, when a heavy sea struck the boat and overwhelmed her. The scene that followed was fearful in the extreme. Three of the men got upon the bottom of the boat – one appears to have to have sunk immediately, as he was not seen – the fifth, Andrew Green, got hold of a rope thrown from the ship, twisted it about his hand, and struggled long with desperate efforts to get to the ship. The mate was let down to assist him, and had almost a hold of his hand, when he was obliged, to save himself, to let go the rope, and the poor lad, apparently within a few inches of safety, sank to rise no more.

The screams and cries of those on the boat were heart-rending, and such, their almost distracted companion says, as he will never forget. But the ship, in spite of the utmost exertions of all on board, made away from the boat, and the deeply affected and sympathising crew saw them washed off one after another. The young lad, William Manson, kept his position longest; it is believed about half an hour.

The master Mr S. Thurkle, the mate, and indeed all on board the ship, did all that men could do, and exhibited the utmost concern and humanity. The survivor, Malcolm Dunnet, who was on the ship, had to witness all this, and while he had to lift his eyes in heartfelt gratitude to the preserver of his own life, he had to endure the unspeakable anguish of returning home alone, and be the first to communicate the sad intelligence to the bereaved friends, his relatives and neighbours.

The individuals thus suddenly called into eternity were all men of great worth; sober, amiable, industrious and greatly esteemed in their place and station. George Green has left a widow, two sons and three daughters, it is feared in destitute circumstances, and some of them in delicate health. The father and the eldest brother were the props on which they leaned for support. The two Mansons have left a widowed mother, infirm, aged and in poverty, with none of her family now able to help her; while the elder brother, Hugh, has left in addition a young widow, as has James Simpson, the former with one child, and the latter with two, and both with prospect of an additional burden soon.

The scene of deep grief and the mental anguish which their houses presented may be conceived but hardly expressed; and it is hard to think that stern destitution and helpless poverty must overtake those representatives of worthy persons, whose feelings are now lacerated by the bursting of the tenderest ties of human life. May we hope that the benevolent, both near and at a distance, will not overlook them.

Default Tragedy at sea.

Thank you for sharing that Morven,
    It's much more poignant when it's your family you read about.

There have been so many tragedies around the coast of Caithness in such rough seas. It's heartbreaking.

trinkie

very interesting to read the different style of reporting also, thanks for that

Lightbulb Disasters at Sea

Hi again Morven,
    George Green bapt. 15June1798 Canisbay marr,Margaret Brock which makes George, husband of my 2C5R.
    Son Andrew bapt.27 Oct.1819, was my 3C4R.
    We are Related,
    Regards
    Elizabeth
    (Teeny)

Default Disasters at Sea

Hi Teeny

Thanks for that info. George Green's son Hugh b. 6 Sep 1827 was my GG-Grandfather.

Regards

Morven

I've attached the story of my G-Grandfather William Bain and his Halfbrother Donald Bain and Brother in law Alexander Cormack early last century, exact date unknown, but Death Certs dated 1907. It was sent to me by cousin Val who also passed on to Org the photo of Ann Taylor, Herring Queen after I had been unable to clean it up enough to submit it.

Fishing Boat Disaster at Keiss

Three Men Drowned

A distressing fishing boat disaster occurred at Aukengill Pt on Friday evening whereby three lives were lost.
    It appears that the small boats were prosecuting the winter herring fishing left Keiss in the afternoon. As the boats were returning to Keiss Harbour fairly well fished one of there number got swamped and floundered off the point of Aukengill at the spot locally known as the “Rough of Aukengill” It is supposed that the boat was overloaded with herring.
    The three men, who formed the crew, were drowned. They were Wm Bain and Donald Bain (half-brothers) and Alexander Cormack (Brother-in-law). Wm Bain and Cormack were married and leave widows and families. Donald Bain was unmarried. Another member of the crew had sprained his foot and was unable to go to sea. To this accident, no doubt, he owes his providential escape
    James Henderson, boatman, Keiss desires to thank the Feswick fishermen and crofters for their very great kindness in assisting his son John Henderson and crew in their great need on Friday night last, and their kind hospitality bestowed on them. They also desire to express their thanks to Mr and Mrs James Mowat for their kindness by keeping their fires on for their comfort.

United Memorial Service

The boating disaster which happened near Keiss on Friday is perhaps one of the saddest in the entire history of the community. In the life of the village it is unparallel. The dark pall of death has cast its shadow over the whole district, and is relieved only by the thought that, since some of the other boats had a narrow run for safety the loss was not heavier than it is.
    On Sunday morning a united service was held in the Free Church, Keiss, by Rev Mr McKay, Minister of the church , presiding. In addressing the meeting, the Rev Mr Dunlop Minister of the Keiss Baptist Church said – My reasons for suggesting ,as I did, to the other churches, a united service, a memorial service, - is not far too seek; it seems wise and not impossible. I felt sure that our common Christianity, at least our common humanity, would be strong enough and deep enough to lift us over all religious differences and enable us to unite at a common centre - and this church is the centre – to express our common sympathy and supplicate with united hearts God’s grace and favour for the bereaved homes.
    After a short address based on the words “And there was no more sea,” the preacher said “You will bear with me if I make passing reference to the circumstances which have called us here I speak as Pastor of the church which suffers most through the heavy loss which has befallen our community. Our friends are gone. Friends that we hoped……………………

end of first column some few words missing here

…………………………..prospect were not sent as the messages of despondency and despair. In God’s time, the clouds will burst and enrich, as for ever, the spiritual soul of your life. If I were permitted to speak from experience, I could say that, however much the torch of our Christian life may be shaken by the winds of adversity, God will never point even the flicker of life to go out. Perhaps, here to, we may say that “the more ‘tis shaken the brighter it shines.” We have come again to the parting of the ways. Friends are dropping off on either side. We are being moved unconsciously up to the front. But let us not say in our grief that our friends are lost. Let us say that they are found. Their road was short and sad. But, however much the ways may differ the
    ………… is a common one – we meet beneath the shadow of the eternal city. Like travellers we have met on life’s great highway at the darkest hour of midnight. We have enjoyed our fellowship. We have tried, each for the other to make the long journey appear short and pleasant. Suddenly we lose each other in life’s darkest hour. But we rejoice that heaven’s morn will break; that we shall meet again and enjoy the fellowship of those self-forgetting lives who helped to make life’s joys and gladly shared life’s sorrows”
    The meeting was afterwards addressed by the Rev Mr McKay Whose interesting discourse was full of sympathy for the bereaved and was much appreciated by all present.
    On Sabbath evening special memorial services were held in the United Free and the Free Churches. At the close of an impressive sermon in the United Free Church the Rev A Scott Berrie made the following reference to the calamity: - “It would ill become me if I did not even in this imperfect way, give utterances to a calamity, the painful shock of which, together with the memory of it, will not for a long time be effaced from your lives. These villages, nestling by the sae, give evidence, in their quite annals, to a strange ad-mixture of the lyric and the elegiac – at one time you feel the rare glamour of the glittering wavelets, at another, you catch “ the melancholy music of the main”- that undertone of doleful solubreness begotten of many a tragedy. As I sat in thought, there came with rude insistence into my mind the poet’s words and with slight adapt ion are sadly applicable:-

“Three fishers went sailing out ………….the west
    O………..the west as …………..ent down
    ………………were weeping and wringing their hands
    For those who will never come back … the town
    For men must work and women must weep
    Though storms be sudden and waters be deep
    And the harbour bar be moaning “

Who can forget that Friday night? There were hearts torn with anxious pain, mooring themselves to hopes that were only to be sadly and reluctantly surrendered; there were eyes that kept long and loving watch and swept the horizon for the returning sail……and what a pang of genuine pity turned every one to melancholy when daybreak confirmed the worst fears of the night. The fisherman’s calling is at best precarious, and yet it witnesses totally deeds of quiet heroism; success in toil comes ofted, almost always unwillingly; in this case it was not so. Yet while the reward was rich, its very abundance proved their undoing, for the treasures were snatched back whence they came and alas! With them went the toiling hands. Silver herring …………………………………despairing of the lives of men

With their God; their bodies rocked by ……until the sea gives up………………….

There is also a poem. No auther known but suggestions gratefully received

An Elegy on the
    KEISS BOAT DISASTER

The Old Year had just passed away,
    The New Year scarce drew breath;
    When to the village suddenly
    There came the news of death.

Three of its fishermen so brave,
    Who oft had braved the deep,
    By duty found a watery grave,
    Leaving their friends to weep.

They sank beneath the swelling wave,
    Unseen by mortal eye;
    But they were seen by Him who gave
    Those souls that never die.

We hope that they have only passed
    A vale of sin and woe;
    And found a Father's home at last
    To which we all must go.

Let those who now for them do weep
    Just trust God for his love;
    In Him their loved ones are asleep,
    And they shall meet above.

Let fishermen both far and near
    A warning take by this;
    Their neighbours love, and their God fear,
    And nought shall come amiss.

Regards to all robyn
    Looking for Bain, Mowat(t), from Keiss-by-Wick

Hi Robyn
    Thanks for sharing that with us.

William Bain was my 3c2r:
    I have a note beisde his death
    4 Jan 1907
    Deaths of all 3 notified by James Robertson ( friend fo William & Donald & brother-in-law of Alex. Cormack)

Alex Cormack ?? I know he married Jane Bain
    He was b c 1869 William Cormack & Isabella Miller.
    Can you place how James Robertson is a brother in law to Alex?

Thanks
    Tricia

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Hi Robyn
    Thanks for sharing that with us.

William Bain was my 3c2r:
    I have a note beisde his death
    4 Jan 1907
    Deaths of all 3 notified by James Robertson ( friend fo William & Donald & brother-in-law of Alex. Cormack)

Alex Cormack ?? I know he married Jane Bain
    He was b c 1869 William Cormack & Isabella Miller.
    Can you place how James Robertson is a brother in law to Alex?

Thanks
    Tricia
    Hi Tricia
    No I haven't even looked for James' connection. Had enough trouble finding my Grandfather's history. My grandmother had written 1905 down as the date of this tragedy and the official Death records said 1907. As a death here is not registered until the coroner has ruled the actual time of registration can be different.

William married Mary Ann Mowat dau of Alexander Mowat and Catherine Swanson and thay had 5 or 6 children.

1901 Census
    Civil Parish Wick Parish Ward Keiss Eccleisiastical Parish Keiss Quoad Sacra Parish Keiss
    School Board District Keiss Parlimentary Division of Caithness Village of Keiss
    Entry 123 House
    William Bain Head Marr 45 fisherman
    Mary Ann Wife Marr 39 Pastery Baker
    Catherine Dau 14 Scholar
    Charlotte Dau 11 Scholar
    James Son 9 Scholar
    Alexander Son 7 Scholar
    Mary Dau 4 Scholar

Alex Cormack did marry Jane(Jean) Bain I have photos of her and her sons.
    Alex Bain m Kate Henderson from Wick they had 3 children
    Catherine m George Stark and they had 10 children
    James (my Grandfather) m Mary Aileen McGovern in Australia and had 2 sons
    Mary became a nurse and I have found no marriage for her
    Charlotte lived with her Mother and is burried with her in Keiss Cemetary. Mary is buried nearby

So there we are. I have trouble sorting out cousins removed so I'll just call you a cousin if you don't mind
    regards robyn
    Looking for Bain, Mowat(t), from Keiss-by-Wick

Default another cousin lol

Hej Morven
    We have to be related too. Hugh Green 1827 married my 1st cousin 3X removed Jane Steven. So who is your great grandfather?

Also their son Hugh married my grandaunt Marjore Smith Rosie.

Mamie

Hi Cousin Robyn.
    We are 5 cousin 1 removed......... bit of a long way out......
    Our common ancesters are William Budge and Charlotte Bain-
    Your 5 g/grandparents - my 4th g/grandparents.

Tricia

Default .

Hi Mamie

My great-grandfather was Andrew Green b. 17 Jan 1860 who married Margaret Cruickshanks Bremner.

Jane Steven's marriage to Hugh Green was her second marriage. She previously married John Geddes on 16 April 1841 and they had a daughter Isabella Geddes b. 4 Apr 1842. John Geddes died before the 1851 census. If you don't have all the details please let me know.

Regards

Morven

Thanks Morven
    I had the marriage of Jane Steven with John Geddes. Do you know who his family was though? I hadn't figured that out yet.

So we are 4th cousins 1X removed. Do you have a birthdate or other dates for Maggie Bremner. I have the marriage but that's all.

Mamie aka Maryann

Default Jane Steven with John Geddes

I note on Rootsweb
    2 separate entries for this couple - showing differents DOB and Parents for Jane!!!

Tricia

Default Jane Steven with John Geddes

I’m more than happy that the Jane Steven who married John Geddes in 1841 was born on 4 Dec 1822 in Duncansbay to parents John Steven and Isabella Dunnet (and she later married Hugh Green) -

In the 1851 census for Canisbay, Jane Geddes was a 28 year old widow with a 9 year old daughter Isabella Geddes. Her age tallies with an 1822 year of birth. Also, in the 1861 census for Canisbay, the John Steven and Isabella Steven household included an 18 year old granddaughter Isabella Geddes.

The other Jane (or Jean) Steven on Rootsweb, b. 22 Jan 1814 in Wick to William Steven and Esther Sinclair, was a first cousin of the above Jane Steven (William Steven and John Steven were brothers). She married George Bain on 20 Nov 1840 in Wick. Jane Bain, widow of George Bain, died on 5 Dec 1892 in Papigoe. On her death certificate her parents are named as William Steven and Esther Steven, ms Sinclair.
    Last edited by Morven; 12-Nov-07 at 18:50.

Default Jane Steven

I would agree with Morven although I didn't know who the other Jean/Jane married.

Mamie

Post Maggie Bremner

Hi Mamie

Here is the information I have on Maggie Cruickshanks Bremner –

b. 26 Apr 1860 in Warse, Canisbay.

Father: William Bremner b. 24 Nov 1831 in Freswick. d. 15 Nov 1907, age 75, in Pulteneytown.
    Mother: Elizabeth Sutherland b. c1830 in Clyth. d. 8 Jun 1920, age 90, in Pulteneytown.
    They married on 20 Jun 1856 in Clyth.

m. Andrew Green on 17 Oct 1884 in Pulteneytown. (Andrew b. 17 Jan 1860 in Duncansbay, d. 21 Apr 1933, age 73, in Wick)

d. 27 Jul 1949, age 89, in Willowbank, Wick.

Children (all born in Pulteneytown) –

Hugh Green b. 2 Feb 1885
    Elizabeth Sutherland Green b. 29 Oct 1887
    Jane Steven Green b. 6 Dec 1889
    William Bremner Green b. 28 Sep 1891 (drowned on 6 Jul 1903, age 11, in Wick River near Coghill’s Bridge)
    Maggie Ann Green b. 25 Sep 1893
    Andrew Green b. 2 Feb 1896
    Barbara Bremner Green b. 11 Jun 1898

Regards

Morven

Thank you very much

Mamie

Quote Originally Posted by Morven View Post
    I’m more than happy that the Jane Steven who married John Geddes in 1841 was born on 4 Dec 1822 in Duncansbay to parents John Steven and Isabella Dunnet (and she later married Hugh Green) -
    Thanks,
    I thought the above was the correct entry.
    Tricia

Hi Robyn & Trisha,

Trisha,
    I have Alexander Cormacks sister, Isabella b.c1870, as marrying James Robertson in Keiss 08/12/1904.

Other info. I have :-

Isabella (Bella) was a witness at Alexanders wedding to Jane Bain.
    She was married to James Robertson who notifed Alexanders death and was Alexanders brother in law.Married aged 29.Witness' Jane Robertson & Wm. Cormack ( ?Alexander & Isabellas other brother)
    Parents were both deceased when she married James Robertson

James Robertson was 39 when married, occ. Cooper, and his parents were James Robertson b. c1840 & Catherine Gais(r) b. c1840.
    His sister was Jane Robertson b. c1872.

Hope this helps,
    Val

Thanks Val.
    That ties another twig in for me - apart from the Cormack Bain Budge relationship as my earlier message -
    James Robertson (b1835 to Donald Robertson and Barbara Simpson) married 10 Jul 1857 to Catherine Gair -
    their g'son James Robertson b Keiss c 1891 m Eliz Duncan 1919 in Inverness - she my 1C2R.
    Do you relate to the Robertsons!.

In an earlier email Robyn mentioned Photo of Ann Taylor Herring Queen - do either of you relate to her family!

Tricia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast