Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Band playing in Wick, 24th November 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    I'm pretty sure Hi-Arts would've pumped a few quid into them to boost the interest in Highland music... they tend to look after things that will look after them, perhaps I'm getting confused with some other Highland organisation.

WeeRob wins here...

They say they are independent... that's enough to prove that they are.

Oh, you ken... those whiny kids who sing about America... "ooooh, whine whine America"

In fairness, those who told me the band were signed to a major label were those whose opinions and thoughts I trust. Fair dos. We can't be right all the time. However, instead of resulting to petty name-calling, as some are want to do when they've been proved wrong, I'll hold my hand up.

Excellent that the Waterfront are putting the JJ's on, this will test the market to see if there is any interest locally in going to see original bands. If the gig is a success Wick may gain access to more up and comming bands. I saw the JJ's and didnt like them, too contrived and copyist for me la...but then at 50 its often hard to hear something I really like.

malcolm_R Guest

Hey Guys, I'm from Inverness & have seen the band & know them too. They're a great little band & are the 1st indie band from Inverness to sign 'a major record deal' (5 albums) without having to move away from their hometown to do it. Songphonic are an indie label who offered a major deal when they seen the band play in Inverness. (The Cinematics are from Dingwall & they moved to Glasgow before signing with TVT.)
    They headlined the BBC Scotland tent at Belladrum 'last' year, this year they had a slot on the hothouse stage in the afternoon.
    The Ironworks holds 1000 people (according to the website) when the upstairs balcony is open, as far as I know it is usually closed to the public when touring bands visit but as Jyrojets were shooting a video it was opened & believe me..it was packed. There's a video of 'dead on arrival' live on youtube.
    The Nirvana reference I think comes from the energy of their live shows I think.
    I'm fairly sure Hi-Arts don't 'pump money into them' as they are the same as any other touring band, 'hiring vans etc', & as for getting a distribution deal in Russia????? Don't think that's why they played there.....they got a song on a big movie soundtrack out of it though.
    Richard Ashcroft liked the band & handpicked them from a selection he was given by his Agents...they didn't buy their way onto it I can promise you that.

They said they might be playing acoustically in a bar in Wick before the Waterfront gig, really good acoustic with the harmonies & stuff. Not sure which pub though.

Anyway, Just thought I'd let you all know the craic & there are a few of us coming up for the gig as they haven't played Inverness for a year & we can't wait any longer, so just come along - if you like them, great, if not, no harm done....They're certainly woth watching even if you don't like their sounds! Good guys & trying to put the Highlands on the map.

Cheers!
    Malcolm.

Im pretty sure its the Blackstairs before the Waterfront

Default band playing in Wick on the 24th

"Im pretty sure its the Blackstairs before the Waterfront"

Don't think it's the Blackstairs as Liquid Blue are booked to play there on the 24th, that's why they had to turn down the support slot in the Waterfront on the 24th.

i hadn't realised liquid blue were playing in the blackstairs that night but i heard a vicious rumour also that the jyrojets were doin an acoustic set in there before the waterfront gig...
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

For some reasno, I get the feeling it'll be the Silver Darling.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolm_R View Post
    They're a great little band & are the 1st indie band from Inverness to sign 'a major record deal' (5 albums) without having to move away from their hometown to do it. Songphonic are an indie label who offered a major deal when they seen the band play in Inverness.
    Indie? Major? Are the words a little out of context or what?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Indie? Major? Are the words a little out of context or what?
    I remember when I were a lad, there was a bunch of us hanging around in this squat getting stoned when one day somebody got this idea he'd get rich selling underground records and magazines. "Richard" I says "it'll never work, you aint gonna make a fortune selling Furry Freak Brothers magazines to students".

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    i hadn't realised liquid blue were playing in the blackstairs that night but i heard a vicious rumour also that the jyrojets were doin an acoustic set in there before the waterfront gig...
    I don't wish to damage anyone's pride, but given few gigs are on in Wick, wouldn't it be sensible to support Jyrojets and do the Blackstairs gig at another date? Seems churlish, to me.

Have to agree with Pepsi. It's up to Liquid Blue how they organise there affairs but... if it was me i'd of taken the support over the Blackstairs. If Jyrojets had liked you they may have asked you to do the support on further dates. One of the best ways for a geographically challenged bands to obtain gigs is to befriend bands from other citis and areas. Could be missing a good opportunity here... Good luck to the bands chosen for the support though. I'll be there.

Default Blackstairs gig

When the gig in the Waterfront was offered they were very vague about the whole thing and no headlining band was named true we could have taken the gig and cancelled the Blackstairs but that isn't a very professional thing to do plus the Blackstairs have been very supportive of Liquid Blue to the point where they helped fund the bands trip to the Ultimate Chill final.
    In my book loyalty counts for a lot and I'm sure if the Waterfront gig is a success they will be offered another slot.

Agree with your principles, Douglas, but am sure those at the Blackstairs (aka Kirsty) could cut you some slack on this occasion. Such support slots won't come along often; am sure Kirsty wouldn't begrudge the band 'getting on', as it were.

a wise man once told me nice guys finish last... oh no wait it was that bloke from green day...
    "you know and i know that we talk in circles most times"

She probably would have Pepsi but as I said it was a bit vague when they phoned and it's all academic now anyway as the posters have been printed for the Waterfront gig.
    The Waterfront did say that they hoped to this sort of a thing on a regular basis so I'm sure there will be more support slots.

Robert Sutherland is doing his best to stage a regular gig with visiting bands and one or two support slots for local groups. He has also arranged a regular 10k rig for every gig. The continuation of this idea depends entirely on support from local people and musicians. His weekly open night sessions in the Silver Darlings also gives local musos a platform to perform.
    Although he is obviously after increased profits, he also wants to help the local music scene and should be given every support. One thing he does not need is the negativity generated by some of the posts in this thread.
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

I don't think the "negativity" on this thread will affect the outcome of the gig in the longrun G2. I don't even think it's negativity... I think it was more a case of folk correcting the colourful promotion that had accompanied the band.

I do agree though that to have further touring bands visiting Wick, us locals need to support what the man is trying to do. All the best to him.

I assume we'll see you there G2?

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Cowie View Post
    She probably would have Pepsi but as I said it was a bit vague when they phoned and it's all academic now anyway as the posters have been printed for the Waterfront gig.
    The Waterfront did say that they hoped to this sort of a thing on a regular basis so I'm sure there will be more support slots.
    Here's hoping so, Douglas. It takes a lot of money to get commercial, touring bands up to the Far North. I wish them well.

Quote Originally Posted by theboss View Post
    I don't think the "negativity" on this thread will affect the outcome of the gig in the longrun G2. I don't even think it's negativity... I think it was more a case of folk correcting the colourful promotion that had accompanied the band.

I do agree though that to have further touring bands visiting Wick, us locals need to support what the man is trying to do. All the best to him.

I assume we'll see you there G2?
    Your point has been taken but isn't such colouful promotion normal in this business?
    No, although Robert has invited me to the gig, I don't think there is much chance of this old man going to such an event. We are, however, supplying the PA and Isaac is mixing so we are doing our bit, so to speak.
    Future events will be mixed by Dave Grant, ex-Invershin Hotel, who has a Mackie and Sampson rig which is rated at 10K .
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    1000 people? In the Ironworks? You're having a laugh! The capacity is 700(not to mention that it would be a very, very tight squeeze) and the touring bands that visit barely fill the place.

They are supposedly a good band. I dunno about the kick of Nirvana though...
    Out of interest, do those at the Ironworks promote all the shows that are staged there? If not, then capacity is, usually, down to the promoters' decision. For example, the Liquid Room in Edinburgh has a capacity of 750 (for their own shows), though different promoters have differentiating views on capacity: DF: 600; Regular: 500; PCL: 700. There's various reasons for this, many of which I can't be bothered to go into.

However, it does help smaller touring bands to put a ticket limit on their show. Why? Well, if a band play a 750-capacity venue like the Liquid Room - and say they choose to limit the amount of tickets to 400 tickets - it might not make them as much money, but it will give them the right to say they're playing sold out shows at well-respected venues on the national touring circuit. It's a tad cynical and many a band do it in order to further their career.

When Jyrojets played Edinburgh last (Cabaret Voltaire) approx 250 people came to see them. I know this because I asked the venue manager. If they managed to pull 500 people along to their show in Inverness then they're doing great. I hope they get a good crowd when they come to Caithness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast