Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Band playing in Wick, 24th November 2007

I was not aware of that Pepsi... interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure most of the shows are promoted through Steve at the Ironworks, or at least, he does most of the running about after touring bands.

It's £10 for the Jyrojets gig in Wick... how much was a ticket in Cabaret Voltaire Pepsi?

Most bands I've seen at their level at Cab Vol were about 7 quid.

I was thinkin' that the may get a decent crowd in the Wick purely because their goin' to be on quite late (1 O'Clock, so I've heard?) and they'd get the usual Waterfront crew...but If its a tenner entry I'm not sure what like it'll be. U know what like folk can be!

Hopefully its good. I'll be there a squint!

The problem with bands on at that time, especially in a place where most people go to dance, is that they'll all moan for music to dance to. "What time does the band finish?" etc... it's unfortunate.

Exactly. And every reason the evening should start at 7pm and end at 10pm. It's pretty much the way it's happening everywhere else, and would give the 'clubbers', for want of a better word, to indulge in whatever it is they do afterwards.

The Jyrojets gig at Cabaret Voltaire incidentally was £8 plus £1.50 booking fee (if ordered online or bought at Ripping Records or Tickets Scotland). It was £9 on the door.

It's also the way things work when we put gigs on in Thurso. Start early, finish early which allows the bands to get their stuff out of the way and if they choose to do so, go and get drunk.

I'm sure we'll hear mixed reports about how much of a success etc it is.

Smile

Im not 100% sure they are on Later but I could have sworn one of the support bands told me THEY were on about 11ish, and theres 2 supports.

Perhaps everyone will be pished enough to forget how 500 miles and Chelsea Dagger go once the band start...Havin' said that they'll be loads o folk in at that time who wont even see the stage through lack of unblurred vision and likely think it the DJ anyway!

Are there any Thurso-ers(?) goin' through, Jeid?

Who's supporting?

I think theboss is going through, but that's all I know.

Why not throw your band into the 'front, as it were, Jeid? Dinnae ask ye dinnae get.

I think "Betsy Twinkler" and "Colin" are doing the support for it. Don't think Astronot would've suited the style anyway.

Perhaps not biy, but I'd rather go see a gig with a bit of variation rather than 3 bands who, in my opinion, sound quite similar.

I used to think that way, too, Jeid. Then one day - say if you're playing in an Italian alt-country band for example - you come up against some hyperactive metal-heads from Livingston half your age, plus an abstract carnival-gyspy band from Romania. After that, your interest in varied bills will rapidly decrease. These days most promoters try to compile bills of bands, who, though they might sound different to each other, are, at the end of the day, all batting within the same ball-park. It's the subtle differences between the bands that makes for curious listening. 8 out of 10 bills usually work.

Astronot perhaps need to meet some of these promoters... all the ones we meet put us on with Indie bands or pop bands.

Its the same with us! Rarely do we ever play on a bill with bands of the style!

Wat was ur bill at the Bannermans gig like? they usually get it wrong!

The other bands were pretty pish. One of them were in fact, awful. The other band were ok, but tried to hard to be funny instead of trying to be good.

Were they rock tho?

I wasna in Edinburgh when you were playin' by the way. Otherwise i'd have been there!

Nah, one was more of an indie/pop band and the other band was pop with a synth player.

No worries man, we'll be back down at some point

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123