Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Ghost in the Machine

Music combines both Science and Art. the processes of understanding timings, sequences and arrangements is mathematics and understanding how that all works together can be attributed to scientific methods or processes. Choosing which style of timing and how to arrange the music to make it sound best comes from creativity. The actual writing of melody and lyrics is artistic. if you just take a classical piece and input it into a program then its not being creative or artistic, its just copying. On the software I use to make my own melodies that I have written on the guitar or bass, I pull up a piano roll feature. I have to understand how the keyboard works and where the notes are before I use it, i can then recreate the melody on the software using an instrument of my choice, that part is kind of scientific but I am using it to display my own artistic creativity. So I don't consider who create good quality music on PC as non-artists, you have to know music before you can make good music, if you have never been taught the basics of music then its very hard to compose a good arrangement. Here is a track that I wrote the melody for on the guitar and bass and then recorded them into FL Studio then used synthesiser bass and other keyboard effects and wrote over my original. This is an example of artistic creativity combined with computer science, thats the way i see it anyway.

Click this link then press the play button, I made this track on FL Studio Pro XXL

http://www.bebo.com/MusicAlbum.jsp?M...rId=2865699387

Funky stuff there Jeemag! Influenced by a touch of Jean Michel Jarre if I'm not mistaken. Like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    Click this link then press the play button, I made this track on FL Studio Pro XXL

http://www.bebo.com/MusicAlbum.jsp?M...rId=2865699387
    All I get is a sign in page.

Here is a link that should work and bear in mind when listening, this tune has never been anywhere near a violin or a violinist, it was made on a computer.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/db.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Funky stuff there Jeemag! Influenced by a touch of Jean Michel Jarre if I'm not mistaken. Like it!
    Not really, more influenced by the baggy madchester era, Mondays, Charlatans and anything up to Stereo MC's which kind of influences a lot of my electronic stuff. The more ethereal sounds probably come from me listening to too much Tangerine Dream and Pink Floyd.
    Last edited by Jeemag_USA; 02-Nov-07 at 22:15.

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    All I get is a sign in page.

Here is a link that should work and bear in mind when listening, this tune has never been anywhere near a violin or a violinist, it was made on a computer.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/db.mp3
    Sounds like a midi file. The melody sounds great but the drone or bass sounds sound like a computer.

I'll try and get a better link for mine Fred, you shoudln't have to sign in so I must have done something wrong.

Edit: I signed myself out from bebo and still can view the link Fred without signing in, so not sure what happened there, seems Bobinovich could see it. I'll try hosting it somewhere else.
    Last edited by Jeemag_USA; 02-Nov-07 at 22:13.

I did have to sign into Bebo to listen Jeemag but have an account anyway.

It was more the fading ping-pong sounds bouncing back and forth which led me to think of JMJ - I can't remember a particular album name but I do remember that effect featuring quite a lot in his work.

Fred I put some up on a myspace account, the one i had listed is the one on the top of the list, a few more shoudl appear by tomorrow.

http://www.myspace.com/midnightmozes

Talking

one of you mentioned science and what not, i sort of agreed, but some facts;

i have mild attention disorder so its hard for me to concentrate, i also have a problem with numbers i cant do anything with them, my brain wont process them, hence massive failure in mathimatics. excuese spelling lol

im still a major guitarist at heart im not very good but i try, and i enjoy the music i make.

the past year or so i have gotten back into computer music, i did years ago, and leaened a wee bit in really crappy midi sequencing.

if machine music scares people i dont understand why.

an electric guitar is in essence a machine. as is an acoustic, its a tool. it cannot play without human creativity and input, just as computer music.

drums play right unless the creator programs his own style and beat in his or her mind.

the sequencer cant sequence its delicious eletronic blips and beeps unless the creator inputs them.

same as keybords its a machine, but needs input.

and dragging on, but music is a diverse and deep art, its emotion, its passion.

pulling personal prefernces aside and opinions of produced quality and audince reaction, music in the end is what it means to a sole individual.

i could take some samples (yes i said the dreaded word lol)

say 20 at least. i could make a song, then hand that twnety to the next guy, i can honestly say that the other person would create something equally dynamic and different. it depends on the creator and listener.

thats my honest opinion.

and i have have a habit of coming across aggressive on here so just to clarify i was being nice lol, just throwing my voice in the mix so to speak.

cheers.

Anyone know of any Synclaviers for sale?

in a house wi lights, but it is a light house

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    Anyone know of any Synclaviers for sale?
    there's a place just south of Halkirk called E' Bay. Try there

Quote Originally Posted by K dragon View Post
    an electric guitar is in essence a machine. as is an acoustic, its a tool. it cannot play without human creativity and input, just as computer music.
    I remember when telephones had bells in them, then they changed, they took the bell out and put a little tone generator and speaker in instead and when they changed suddenly anyone hearing the phone ring on their favourite soap opera started jumping up to answer their own telephone, they couldn't spot the imitation of a fake.

The other night I had the honour to have the folk poet Marcus Moon (available for weddings and bar mitzvahs) sitting in my kitchen and he kindly let me record one or two of his songs through the built in microphone on my laptop. I've been messing around putting backing tracks to them with the computer, here's one I loved the irony of, three quarters of the quartet is fake.

http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/enoch-hammer.mp3

Sell your synclavier Pepsi!!

I thought this was a rather interesting video showing an area of computer generated music editing at its best . . . . .

"Elastic time" anyone? - Enjoy!!

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5402
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

I like it, and it's all very well, but I'd like my next recording to be done with Fatts' reel-to-reel and a couple of his old Sony mics.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    I like it, and it's all very well, but I'd like my next recording to be done with Fatts' reel-to-reel and a couple of his old Sony mics.
    Released, no doubt, on vinyl only I assume!! (or maybe cassette . . . . . )

Great for that authentic hiss, crakle & pop we all miss and love
    All the world's a stage and we are merely players . . . . .
    For more visit: http://www.studiograff-photo.co.uk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12