Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Whaligoe

Default Whaligoe

Can anyone please give me some information on Whaligoe?

Default Re: Whaligoe

Quote Originally Posted by fmackay
    Can anyone please give me some information on Whaligoe?
    Yes, there arn't 365 steps as what they tell you on the telly.

Apart from that http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfi...l/whaligoe.htm
    should tell you all you want to know.

Default Whaligoe Steps by Ian Sutherland

Ian Sutherland has done a wee pamphlet called Whaligoe and its steps, contact D.R. Simpsons in Wick,

Default Whaligoe

thanks very much Fred
    very interesting.
    One of my ancestors, Margaret Gunn, my gg grandmother died there.

thanks very much Fred
    very interesting.
    One of my ancestors, Margaret Gunn, my gg grandmother died there.
    I'm not surprised, damn near finished me off as well.

Default Whaligoe

Are there still families living there?
    Margaret Gunn's husband was a farmer. Her parents where James Gunn and Ann Bremner.

Are there still families living there?
    Margaret Gunn's husband was a farmer. Her parents where James Gunn and Ann Bremner.
    There are some modern houses there and the old processing plant has been turned into a house.

There are some Bremners from Whaligo on my we site, John died 1872 aged 85 had a daughter Ann died 1873 aged 54 and a daughter Margaret died 1893 aged 75. Might be relations.

Default Whaligoe

hi Fred

I would be very interested in finding out more. Ann's parents were Alexander Bremner and Isabella More. Any connection?

hi Fred

I would be very interested in finding out more. Ann's parents were Alexander Bremner and Isabella More. Any connection?
    I can't find anything about any of them from my records. Whaligoe is a bit of a funny place though, in the parish of Wick but the church at Bruan was in the parish of Latheron although I know the Minister from Wick preached there every four weeks. The church is right on the border, I don't know where a christening would be recorded.

Default Whaligoe

Hi Fred
    Ann Bremner (wife of James Gunn) died in 1862 at Sarclet. She was a widow and haven't been able to find her husbands date of death which makes me think it must've been before 1855.
    Is Thuster in that area? I have a listing for what seems to be James,Margaret(daughter of Ann Bremner) and family in 1851 in the census.

Hi Fred
    Ann Bremner (wife of James Gunn) died in 1862 at Sarclet. She was a widow and haven't been able to find her husbands date of death which makes me think it must've been before 1855.
    Is Thuster in that area? I have a listing for what seems to be James,Margaret(daughter of Ann Bremner) and family in 1851 in the census.
    No, Thuster is between Wick and Watten.

Your James Bremner was born before 1771 and Ann before 1776, they married 8th March 1799 in Wick. They had 5 children I can find, Margaret christened 24th Jan 1800, Isobel christened 27th Apr 1803, George christened 27th Apr 1806, Alexander christened 21st Oct 1809 and Anne christened 12th Oct 1813.

George is in the 1851 census living on Breadalban Terrace in Wick with his wife Isabella and children William, George, Margaret and Peter.

Default Whaligoe

Hi Fred
    Sorry, a bit confused now, the census iwas meaning was 1851 for James Gunn and Margaret Gunn who married in 1821.Their children were John 1823,James1828,Elisabeth1840,George 1836,William1839 amd Margaret 1841 who is my gg grandmother.
    Hope i haven't mixed them all up!
    thanks for all your help

Hi Fred
    Sorry, a bit confused now, the census iwas meaning was 1851 for James Gunn and Margaret Gunn who married in 1821.Their children were John 1823,James1828,Elisabeth1840,George 1836,William1839 amd Margaret 1841 who is my gg grandmother.
    Hope i haven't mixed them all up!
    thanks for all your help
    Sorry I got the names mixed up. I meant James Gunn and Anne Bremner of Sarclet.

It's quite possible that James Gunns daughter Margaret married a James Gunn, marriages between cousins seem to have been very common in those days though more common among the upper classes than the lower, it was almost the norm among the upper classes.

Quote Originally Posted by fred
    No, Thuster is between Wick and Watten.
    I've just found two entries in the 1881 census for the Thrumster area with the dwelling name given as Thuster. One a Miss Sinclair Nicolson 35 at Thrumster and the other James Manson and family from Canisbay at Sarclet.