Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soup recipes

Question Soup recipes

I love Soup and have it nearly every day but am tired of the usual Broth, Tattie and Lentil and Rice so can anyone give me some nice recipes?

I am a vegetarian and can't tolerate dairy!!!!

By the way I add a wee bit of Carrot Juice to my soups and find this makes them much tastier.

liz I have a nice one for Broccoli soup let me know if you want it and I will dig it out Ax
    Its nice to be nice

Liz I'm terrible for not following recipes and have come up with some wonderful concoctions.

So you could try the usual cauliflower and broccoli but mixed together with a veg stock base.
    Red onions instead of the usual white etc

Carrot and orange soup is just define. just add fresh orange juice and put the used oranges in the soup and remove before serving.

Experiment its fun.
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Default Pasta and chickpea soup

Hi Liz!

Here's a veggie soup, quite warming for the winter too!

Serves 4
    1 small onion, peeled & finely chopped
    1 stick celery, trimmed & finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    extra virgin olive oil
    sprig rosemary, leaves picked & finely chopped
    2 x 400g tins of chickpeas
    500ml vegetable stock (and/or carrot juice!)
    100g small 'soup' pasta
    S & P
    optional: parsley to sprinkle

Put onion, celery, rosemaryand garlic into a saucepan with some olive oil and cook as gently as possible, lid on, for 15-20 mins, till all vegetables soft, but without colour.

Drain and rinse chickpeas, add to pan and cover with stock (and/or carrot or tomato juice).

Cook gently for half an hour. Then, using a slotted spoon, remove half the chickpeas, and put to one side.

Puree the soup left in the pan. Add the reserved whole chickpeas and the pasta. Season, and simmer gently until the pasta is cooked.

If the soup is a little thick, add boiling water from kettle.

Serve drizzled with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle with parsley. Crusty, rustic bread goes very well with it!

Hope you enjoy!

Helen

Thumbs up

Thanks very much!

Yes AnneX I would love the recipe for Broccoli soup if you can find it!

Default Broccoli Soup

1oz Butter or a little oil
    2 Potatoes peeled and finely chopped
    1 Large Onion peeled and chopped
    Salt & Freshly ground Black pepper
    1 Head of Broccoli with stalk
    1 litre hot Vegetable stock or (Chicken stock )
    6fl ozs Double Cream

saute the potatoes & onion over a low heat let them sweat for few mins
    cut the florets from the stalk removing the outer layer of skin from the stalk chop stalk into 1/2 in pieces add to the onion and potatoes and sweat for further 5 mins
    add the stock bring to the boil then add the florets boil for 4 -5 mins until soft then add the cream remove from the heat liquidise and season to taste

Serve with Parmesan toasties toast each side of bread sprinkle with grated Parmesan pop under a hot grill

Liz I have just noticed you cant have Dairy I have served the soup without cream some prefer it
    Its nice to be nice

Thumbs up

Yum yum! Thanks Anne!
    I can always adapt recipes.

Default Roast veg and lentil

We discovered one quite by accident. We had some roast veg (peppers, toms, sweet potato, etc) and some green lentils left over after dinner one day so I suggested making them into a soup. A quick blitsing in the liquidiser soon transformed them into a delicious soup.

The original meal, by the way, is a range of roast veg served with cooked green lentils that has feta cheese crumbled over it. Very nice.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Thumbs up

Sounds yummy Ricco!

I make a soup from left over Stir-Fry and this is really good. Two meals for the price of one!

does anyone have a recipe for tattie soup, want soup soo much, especially homemade, but havent ever made soup

help
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

Ash you can't go wrong making tattie soup,I have never sstuck to a recipe for it and it has never turned out badly,here's a rough idea for you though.Big pan,6-8 tatties peeled and chopped,2 large carrots diced,half a turnip peeled and chopped a meduim sized onion and a medium sized leek.I use chicken stock in mine and if I haven't made it from scratch I use knorr stock cubes I put 3 in my big pan which makes about 8 servings of soup.I also "mash" my soup before serving it so that it's not so chunky...oh and if I can I make it early in the day because it tastes better when it has sat for a while Have a go at it you really can't go wrong with it hun x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Do try making soup Ash as it is cheap, easy and delicious. You will be hooked once you start tasting your own soup!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    does anyone have a recipe for tattie soup, want soup soo much, especially homemade, but havent ever made soup
    help
    My Tattie Soup recipie is easy too
    5-6 medium sized potatoes
    a meduim Onion
    half a small Turnip
    2 medium Carrots
    3 chicken stock cubes
    a leek only if reguired.
    Peel and slice 5 potatoes Peel and chop up 1 potato into chunks
    peel and roughly slice the onion, then lightly fry in oil until soft
    Grate half the carrots and turnip and then chop the rest into bite sized lumps
    Add all the vegetables to the onions,
    Add water (depends on your pot size)
    bring to the boil, add chicken stock cubes and stir
    and then simmer for 30 - 35 mins, stirring regularly as the potatoes can stick to the bottom off the pot.
    Chop leek into small peices and add and cook for a further 10 mins.
    I then use a hand held blender to reduce the lumps , a tattie masher will do the same job, not too fine, good Tattie soup needs lumps
    I some times add a vegetable stock cube for a little more taste.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I am gonna have a go at your tattie soup Golach, just hope it turns out as good as yours
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing. But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

gonna try that 2moro, just once i get all the ingredients thanks x
    ELVIS ISN'T DEAD I HEARD HIM ON THE RADIO

You won't regret it Ash!Quick,easy and very healthy!Also cheap as chips and will do you 2 days.I serve it with crusty bread and oatcakes and that's a whole meal in itself!i never have more than soup for dinner as it is so filling x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I love Soup and have it nearly every day but am tired of the usual Broth, Tattie and Lentil and Rice so can anyone give me some nice recipes?

I am a vegetarian and can't tolerate dairy!!!!

By the way I add a wee bit of Carrot Juice to my soups and find this makes them much tastier.
    home made carrot and corriander is nice, just boil the carrots and corriander with pepper to taste, then put through blender and then back in pan to simmer. You can use vegetable stock cubes but I find the carrots and corriander are flavour enough.

for non vegetarians, I found a nice recipe in a book that I read in Orkney.

Small piece ham joint (or bacon lardens will do)
    vegetables of choice
    Tatties
    Ham stock cube
    Flour
    Butter
    pepper to taste

put stock cube in pan(2 if large pan)
    chop up vegetables and tatties in chunks and add to boiling stock with pepper
    in the meantime chop the ham into cubes
    melt butter in fry pan and add ham chunks, stir until cooked
    then gradually add in the flour to the butter and ham and stir
    gradually add some juice from the stock pan into the fry pan and mix until smooth.
    then slowly add the ham and sauce into the stock pot, mix well and leave to simmer, stirring as required until the stock thickens.
    serve with hot crusty bread.
    A hot and filling meal and can replace a main meal as satisfying.

A good hug often helps

Default Broccoli soup

I have a really easy recipe for broccoli soup

Chop a large onion, soften in a little olive oil, a wee sprinkle of salt stops them browning. Add as much broccoli as you can get in the pan, add vegetable stock (or ham for non-vegetarian), cook gently with lid on for approx 15mins, zap with blender, add milk to desired thickness and serve with a drizzle of cream.

Very healthy, full of antioxidants and so quick and easy to make
    Why be a hard rock when you really are a gem!

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    My Tattie Soup recipie is easy too
    5-6 medium sized potatoes
    a meduim Onion
    half a small Turnip
    2 medium Carrots
    3 chicken stock cubes
    a leek only if reguired.
    Peel and slice 5 potatoes Peel and chop up 1 potato into chunks
    peel and roughly slice the onion, then lightly fry in oil until soft
    Grate half the carrots and turnip and then chop the rest into bite sized lumps
    Add all the vegetables to the onions,
    Add water (depends on your pot size)
    bring to the boil, add chicken stock cubes and stir
    and then simmer for 30 - 35 mins, stirring regularly as the potatoes can stick to the bottom off the pot.
    Chop leek into small peices and add and cook for a further 10 mins.
    I then use a hand held blender to reduce the lumps , a tattie masher will do the same job, not too fine, good Tattie soup needs lumps
    I some times add a vegetable stock cube for a little more taste.
    Ok golach !!! between you and the Wifie I will master Lentil and Tattie soup will advise on results canna have a manny teaching me tattie soup
    Its nice to be nice

Liz have you tried the roasted red pepper soup recipe that I put on ages ago?It is very nice and very easy too x

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast