Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thurso otters

Default Thurso otters

Anyone seen the Thurso River otters of late?
    Caught a quick glipse of one at the river mouth on Sunday, my first time since February.
    Away with the birds

How fantastic. Have there always been otters in Thurso river - never heard it before?

Fishing on Saturday night at Thurso beach (just below the steps in the middle) and an otter came out of the surf almost 15 feet away from us, and was eating a wee fish. He finished the fish and jumped back into the surf and disappeared. The otter knew we were there because we had all of our headtorches trained on it, but it sat there for about 5 mins and finished his fish.
    I think he was making a fool of us because we only caught the one fish and he decided to show us how to do it properly.

My dog and I watched an otter playing in the river a few weeks ago. This was in broad daylight. He eventually turned on his back and floated around as if he was watching us; a right little performer and a delight to see.

Thurso otter almost met a nasty end this morning at 9am.
    I was driving along side the River heading towards the river mouth when the Otter crossed the road a few yards in front of me.
    Needless to say i hit the brakes pretty hard and stoped.
    The otter continued across the road looked back at me and twitched it's nose with that whats the matter with you look.
    The otter was dry so he must have been scavenging around by the few business premisses along that stretch of road.

A work friend told me she had seen the otter in the road dodging traffic by the toll.
    Road sense it aint got but it's certainly got nerve to dodge cars in this part of the country.

Colin
    Last edited by Seabird; 15-May-08 at 23:04. Reason: error

Default hi

if u go up river to jocks hole u are more likely to come a cross a few otters playing together

we are just back from taking my 2 dogs out for their last trip to the beach, when mr k who was walking in front with our toddler shouted at me to take a look, and a beautiful otter ran up along side us, totally not phased by the dogs, got to the end of the pier and jamp back into the water.....it was ace

Quote Originally Posted by wifie View Post
    How fantastic. Have there always been otters in Thurso river - never heard it before?
    The first ones I spotted were a couple of years ago - http://www.caithness.org/fpb/februar...php?gallery=13.
    As has been mentioned in this thread they didn't seem too bothered by people nearby watching what they're up to.
    I've been lucky enough to see otters on the river a couple more times since - they're amazing creatures.

I have known about otters on Thurso river for some years but have never managed to spot one of yet.
    Are there any areas around the coast where they occur? Would be very interested to hear of any sittings there.

The Otters are lovely on Thurso River watched them a lot in the past
    fascinating creatures
    the link given in above post from the org archives by Astroman is just like I experienced
    Last edited by Anne x; 18-May-08 at 01:15.
    Its nice to be nice

Otters have been on the river for years have even watched young ones playing with their parents. In the summer at high tide you can see them regularly playing in the water in front of the legion houses and E & M Engineering. They're fascinating and you could watch them for hours, they've no fear of people (or don't object to people, I should say) and are even cheeky enough to put on a show at times.

4 across from E&M engineering last week, sadly not seen by myself. Even sadder was a dead one on Scrabster beach.
    Away with the birds

There were two at Thurso river mouth while I was taking these photos last night - http://forum.caithness.org/showpost....79&postcount=1.

I think I raised their curiosity - they were probably checking out the fool that was down at the river mouth in the middle of night when they should have been asleep in bed

ya shohave tried to gt a few shots of em astroman, i saw a couple playg in the dunes once when i was on reiss beach but didn't have the camera on me
    If its profound what was the name of the golfer and what did he find?

There's definitely at least one on Armadale Bay, I keep seeing fresh paw-prints leading up to its holt on the Allt Beag, but haven't managed to spot it yet (I don't get up early enough!). I'm told there's also one at Port a'Chinn near Armadale.

Quote Originally Posted by the_count View Post
    ya shohave tried to gt a few shots of em astroman, i saw a couple playg in the dunes once when i was on reiss beach but didn't have the camera on me
    I was there at 0130hrs, so to get a decent photo I'd have either needed a camera equipped with night vision or a much bigger flash on my camera

Been a few years since I was in Thurso, went to visit my old school pal who used to be in the lighthouse there. I have not seen the Thurso otters but did get a glimpse of one in the river at Lochinver, real cheeky chappy.
    Images of Spain can be seen at valspages.com

Caught a glimpse of one earlier in the week and whilst down at the harbour entrance yesterday watching a seal have a salmon supper we got chatting to two locals.
    They were saying that there is currently a female with three young in tow and they have been regularly sited from "The Legion."

Saw a mother with a young cub last night in the sea at Scrabster last night. Delightful..............
    Away with the birds

20. Default

Was on my way out to Thurso east earlier in the spring when i noticed these little fellows along the shoreline,went out to the breakwater across from the fish shop and waited patiently for them to hopefully swim by

which they kindly did

And even looked up at me as they rounded the breakwater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast