Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading Just Now?

Default Reading

I love reading books about The woman behind.......
    A real eye-opener was 'The Invisible Woman' ( Nelly Ternan Charles Dickens ) written by Claire Tomalin
    Another I enjoyed was ' Lady's Maid ' by Margaret Forster
    My favourite 'Woman behind' has to be Dorelia who eventually became the wife of Augustus John. She said something like '' If he turns out not to be a great artist, then I have wasted my life.''

Both Tomalin and Forster are great Biographers and have had access to such amazing archives.
    Future Biographers must dread the lack of letters now - since the telephone, emails etc. I wonder what will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by angela5 View Post
    Interesting.
    Have you read~ Up oor close?
    angela5, have you read She was aye workin' ?- it's a similar book, by the same publisher (White Cockade) about tenement life in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

armanisgirl, if you enjoy Patricia Cornwell's books, you could check out Kathy Reichs and Linda Fairstein. I read a lot of crime (fiction) and I like their books -good plots and characters, some gore, but not too much

Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    I love Marian Keyes too.

Telfordstar have you read Sophie Kinsella's book 'The Undomestic Godess' ?

If you like Marian's books then you'll like this.

Hi no i havnt read that one but might give it a go thanks for the recomendation

Talking

stuart macbride is really good!! sorta rebus style but set in aberdeen really enjoy them. i also enjoy tess gerriston's books. off the crime fiction the undomestic goddess is hilarious but i cant remember the name of the author. i'm reading next by Michael Crichton at the mo and enjoying that to!
    I'm here for a good time, not a long time!

Smile

I'm reading The Ascent of Rum Doodle by W. E. Bowman. Meant to do it 20 years ago but finally got round to it now! Hilarious book on how NOT to go mountain climbing with too many sherpas!

Just bought and am reading 'Indian Food Made Easy' by Anjum Anand. She recently had a series on BBC. Good recipes, nice and easy.... unlike all my Pat Chapman Curry books.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

Having read and re-read the Courtney series by Wilbur Smith I found he'd since written a few more, so am ploughing my way through those just now. Current one is The Triumph of the Sun

I too am reading a Dickens just now - Great Expectations. Did it in school but like most stuff I read in school did not enjoy it. Happily I am enjoying it just now. Before that I read Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray which was a bit of a plough at times but very interesting. If you like biogs (and old b/w films) Katharine Hepburn by A Scott Berg is brilliant. Happy reading!

karia Guest

Hi Wifie,

I think that Dickens should carry an age limit as we are so often confronted by his work at an age when the sublety and humour in the writing are not easily accessible..and the same goes for shakespeare who is the master of great wit and clever plot construction and yet often ruined by 'having to' study his works at a tender age rather than coming to them when one is inclined and receptive.

We are taught that Dickens and Shakespeare have inherent worth at an age when we are challenging such assertions and almost HAVE to disregard the perceived views on the matter.

Their PR stinks!

Nice to see both providing pleasure as they should.

kariax

Yes, hated Shakespeare until a theatre company came to the High School and did the scottish play (not sure if it is unlucky to utter the name on the Org but I am taking no chances) and it was absolutely fantastic. Been a fan ever since!

karia Guest

No doubt about it wifie, plays were made to be performed,

..even if only in your head!

'As You Like It' is my favourite play by shakespeare ..but only just!

I don't have a 'bard' word to say about him!

kariax

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Having read and re-read the Courtney series by Wilbur Smith I found he'd since written a few more, so am ploughing my way through those just now. Current one is The Triumph of the Sun
    Wilbur Smith is one of my favourites too
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by trix View Post
    e best book that i hev ever read is ladykiller by martina cole. it is brilliant. all her books are, ye will love them. there are aboot 13 o them. im readin her latest - the close, its brill. really nitty gritty. kwite, nearly...gangsterish??
    Books are like music - I enjoy a wide variety. I like Martina Cole but found her latest publication (The Close) a bit of a disappointment - too repetitive for me. Jodi Picoult is next on my list - a few folk have mentioned her to me recently.

Right now I am back in the 18th Century with Diana Galaldon and I am truly hooked. "Cross Stitch" is the name of the first novel in the series, if anyone is interested.

I'll be checking out some of the recommendations on this thread too - thanks folks
    Last edited by Moira; 13-Oct-07 at 23:14.

karia Guest

Hi moira,

If going for a Jodi Piccoult novel then I'd recommend 'My sisters Keeper' which I think is by far her best, and will really make you think!

Keep a bucket of mini-stollen to hand..and paradise awaits!

Kariax

I am reading This book, but I believe the story isn't over yet!!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Hi moira,

If going for a Jodi Piccoult novel then I'd recommend 'My sisters Keeper' which I think is by far her best, and will really make you think!

Kariax

Thanks Karia - I'll keep this in mind

On The Edge ---Richard Hamster Hammond its Other Halfs but borrowed it !!

Hoping he gets Seve Ballesteros book for xmas then I can borrow that !!!
    Last edited by Anne x; 16-Oct-07 at 00:15. Reason: spelling
    Its nice to be nice

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    Hi moira,

Kariax
    That book is amazing! Have you read 'The Pact' also by Jodi Picoult?

I'm currently reading a book called The Step Child by Donna Ford - its a true story where Donna was abused by her stepmother and her stepmother sent her to local gentlemen for 'errands'

So far its been a really good read, but its terrible to know that people like this really exist! At the stage I've reached, the step mother has left the family home for good - leaving 2 step children behind (the 3rd ran away) and her own 3 children. What makes the story worse is the fact that Barnardo's were involved and sent the 3 step children into the situation and despite regularly checking on the family, they weren't removed.

I know from the blurb on the book, that Helen - the step mother - was later sent to prison, but I'm sure it was only for 2 or 4 years. A disgraceful sentence for the torment she caused her step children

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Wilbur Smith is one of my favourites too
    The man is a genius!
    Unputdownable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast