Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What Are You Reading Just Now?

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    That book is amazing! Have you read 'The Pact' also by Jodi Picoult?
    Hi Blondie,

Yes, I have read 'The Pact', quite good but I didn't like it quite so much as 'My Sister's Keeper'.

By the time I'd got through 'Salem Falls' and 'Vanishing Act' I'm afraid I had had enough of Jodi Picoult.

I think I started one called 'Keeping Faith' but decided half way through that I didn't care what happened to any of the characters and gave up.

karia

Definately read some Tolkien. The Lord of the Rings are the best books ever written. I've read mine so much that I have had to purchase new copies recently because the older ones are falling to bits!

In between reading these (I'm always reading them) I have been looking at Terry Pratchet. Only on the 4th novel in the DiscWorld series but I like what I have read so far. Very similar to Douglas Adams (who you won't go wrong with either).

Finally, and I know these are branded as kids books, but, try 'His Dark Materials' trilogy by Philip Pullman. These books can be an easy read but have a lot more depth to them than most people will realise on the first read. I would say that you should give these a look.
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

Read 'To Kill a Mockingbird' (my most fav book ever), 'The Catcher in the Rye', 'Brave New World' or 'The Unbearable lightness of Being'. All fantastic reads. Any James Patterson would also be worth your while.

I am today reading Aurthur Miller's play, 'The Crucible', tomorrow I plan to start, for the second time as I couldn't get into it, 'Catch 22', by Joseph Heller.

Oh, also try Dalton Trumbo's, 'Johnny Got His Gun' which 'Metallica's, 'One' was based on or 'Heminway's, 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' or 'Song of Solomon' By Toni Morrison, I have been taken far away from own life while reading these classic novels, well worth a try.

I loved 'The Lord of The Rings' trilogy and have read them quite a few times, however a friend of mine introduced me, many years ago to David Eddings books 'The Belgariad' These books are fabulous and consist of five, to complete the story. About ten years later he started writing a follow on series and he called that, 'The Mallorean' it also consists of five books. I can guarantee anyone who loves Tolkiens L.O.T.R. will love these books too. A friend of mine recently read all ten books and absolutely loved them, she incidentaly is an out and out L.O.T.R. fanatic. As far as i know the library has these books. Go on give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

James Clavell with his Shogun series,reread many times, superb.
    Patrick O'Brian, his entire Aubrey-Maturin series, now even my wife says-'you are not doing those sea stories again'?-yes I am
    James Herriot with his funny vet tales,an Lillian Beckworth!her series about life on the hebridean of Bruach an her crofters are so humourous, an as she would say 'beautiful just'.Scottish classic.

So many books mentioned that I've read............including the Dark Materials Trilogy.

On my bedside table at the moment are Devil's Corner (Lisa Scottoline),, Under the Knife (Tess Gerritsen) and Next (Michael Crichton)......and open on the coffee table is Thriller, a collection edited by James Patterson. Authors include Lee Child, David Morrell, Gayle Lynds and David Dun.........and so far the stories are good.

Thurso - and the Fantasy City of Darkhaven...

I picked up a sizeable book at aberdeen airport on tueday...
    ORCS by Stan Nicholls
    Fantasy trilogy omnibus
    720pages told from the Orc's point of view...

Read 20 pages in the half hour flight to wick...Brilliant stuff ...action packed, funny, gory...original in a genre that is hard to find new thoughts for...
    Buy it!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orcs-Omnibus.../dp/0575074876

It is for sale on here for as little as 90p!!

Default The Hard Way

I normally read crime books and as i was going on a course and having to travel for 6 hours on the train i tried to find a patricia cornwell book in tesco, but they didnt have any so i picked up "the hard way" by Lee Child in two days i finished the book it was so gripping!!! i definately think i will try to find some of his other books now.

I'm a little behind times, just now starting The Poisonwood Bible...very interesting. Has anyone else read it, and what did you think?

Quote Originally Posted by sassylass View Post
    I'm a little behind times, just now starting The Poisonwood Bible...very interesting. Has anyone else read it, and what did you think?
    I've tried to get into this one twice, Sassylass, but gave up! Most people speak very highly of it, it just wasn't for me.

I love your avatar! Is it specially for Hallowe'en?

Just read "Out of the dark," was an amazing book about a very sad medical condition, depression and suicidal tendencies.
    However it was written from the viewpoint of both the sufferer and her analyst in a very readable form.
    Well after that serious read it's back to Terry Pratchett!

Quote Originally Posted by nanoo View Post
    I loved 'The Lord of The Rings' trilogy and have read them quite a few times, however a friend of mine introduced me, many years ago to David Eddings books 'The Belgariad' These books are fabulous and consist of five, to complete the story. About ten years later he started writing a follow on series and he called that, 'The Mallorean' it also consists of five books. I can guarantee anyone who loves Tolkiens L.O.T.R. will love these books too. A friend of mine recently read all ten books and absolutely loved them, she incidentaly is an out and out L.O.T.R. fanatic. As far as i know the library has these books. Go on give them a try, you won't be disappointed.
    In my teens I loved The Belgariad and The Mallorean, and I read the latter to my daughter when she was in primary school - she loved it too. I remember both books having good humour throughout.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123