Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 29 Nicholson Street

Default 29 Nicholson Street

In my family records 29 Nicholson Street Pultneytown is given as address for numerous B.M.and D`s over several years.

I always took the address to be the family home but too many people seemed to have lived there!
    Is it perhaps the Church address or a public record office?

Anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by mary helen View Post
    In my family records 29 Nicholson Street Pultneytown is given as address for numerous B.M.and D`s over several years.

I always took the address to be the family home but too many people seemed to have lived there!
    Is it perhaps the Church address or a public record office?

Anyone help?
    There used to be a hospital around there. It isn't on the 1877 town plan or 1881 Ordnance Survey but it's on an Admiralty chart printed in 1857.

Default 29 Nicholson Street

Thanks Fred,
    Had another look at my records and a 1900 marriage record gives No.29 as usual place of residence.
    M.H.

Quote Originally Posted by mary helen View Post
    Thanks Fred,
    Had another look at my records and a 1900 marriage record gives No.29 as usual place of residence.
    M.H.
    The only thing apart from houses on the town plan is a curing yard.

Default Nicolson Street

I think there was a small tenement there..... it was known as The Castle .
    There would have been 6 - 8 families living there in the 1930s - 40s.

I'll find out more.
    trinkie

Default Wick

I have sent you a couple of pictures ....I hope they come through okay.
    Nicholson Street is behind Huddart Street - not too far from Grant Street .
    Vansittart Street was called Royal Street at one time - you might have that address too
    Check out the General Thread, under Wick Street names - some good info there.

trinkie

Default Nicholson Street

Thank you so much Trinkie.

I got all of your fantastic information and have sent a PM.
    You have responded in a magnificent way and I am most grateful for all your help. You have renewed my will to go on with my search!

Family history only comes alive when pictures and other facts bring it to life.
    Assistance from kind people like you and others on this site have helped me trace my ancestors when I had very little to go on.
    I had not the good fortune to know my Grandparents or visit where they lived.

Now thanks to you I can imagine the places where they lived and pass on an interesting family history to my family.

Many thanks and kindest regards
    Mary Helen