Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware what you buy in supermarkets

Thumbs down Beware what you buy in supermarkets

Have a look at these findings, and that is just in one city Edinburgh, makes me wonder where I can go and trust, even our old and trusted Co-op is tarred with the same brush as all the rest.

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/in...?id=1574582007
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I never buy from supermarket deli counters, not just for that reason, most of the time it is an utter rip off.

2 quid for a tiny pot of potatos salad that I could make up from what is sitting around the kitchen?

Don't use Supermarkets, got wise to their rip offs some 20yrs back, it's a proper butcher for me, along with other reliable traders who don't disguise their produce.

Quote Originally Posted by LIZZ View Post
    Don't use Supermarkets, got wise to their rip offs some 20yrs back, it's a proper butcher for me, along with other reliable traders who don't disguise their produce.
    Sounds reasonable to me.

I agree that the hygenic practices are something to be concerned about, but I often wonder if we weren't all healthier before we got hygenic. Our bodies got to fight off a few germs and bacteria and we had more resistance to illness. Now we bleach and antibacterial everything and we are sicker than ever. Just my opinion.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

You could be right there Lolabelle. We certainly seem to be more prone to picking up bugs and things these days!

I haven't bought anything from a supermarket deli in years. I only buy meat and fish from local independent shops, where the quality of the food is excellent and the premises look scrupulously clean.

I agree with Lolabelle though - I think we have become obsessed with the idea of everything having to be unnaturally clean. It's another area of life where we seem to have lost all confidence in our own common sense.

I've stopped using all the latest antibacterial cleaning products because I'm concerned about the cocktail of chemicals in them.

There does seem to be a correlation between us keeping our homes unnecessarily clean and the rise in allergies in our society.

Or that's my excuse anyway!

Have to agree with Lolabelle and Angela, so I deliberately keep my house unnecessarily untidy

I'm as fit as a fiddle!!

These sorts of things are not unique to supermarkets. I know of a butcher in Caithness who used the same knife for cooked and uncooked meats when a friend used them. The biggest food poisoning incident in the UK was started via a "proper butcher," not a supermarket. I still use the butcher just as I still use the supermarkets however if I saw either make such a mistake I wouldn't accept it and would ask for it to be prepared again.

Living on Skye its difficult not to use the deli counter as there isn't much choice.Feel happier using it now as youngest workrd there in the summer and was complaing about the amount of cleaning they have to do.

Its vacumed packed loose meat and tinned potato salad thats your choice.
    There is a butchers but....
    Never judge someone until you have walked two moons in their moccasins.

Native American Indian saying.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by henry20 View Post
    Have to agree with Lolabelle and Angela, so I deliberately keep my house unnecessarily untidy

I'm as fit as a fiddle!!

Me too!! LOL

karia Guest

Yep!

I am also with the 'moderately messy' brigade and my OH used to be an environmental Health Officer....what does that tell you?

karia

Oh karia!

I had you figured as permanently swanning around in a pinny, with a feather duster in one hand, and a bottle of extra-strong bleach in the other!!

How disappointing to find you as 'moderately messy' as myself!

Helen

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Oh karia!

I had you figured as permanently swanning around in a pinny, with a feather duster in one hand, and a bottle of extra-strong bleach in the other!!

How disappointing to find you as 'moderately messy' as myself!

Helen
    I'm more of a feather boa and bottle of extra strong gin really Helen....

...and when Stella MacCartney starts designing pinny's I'll think about wearing one!

karia

Never tried cleaning with gin, myself...would vodka work as well?

Helenx

karia Guest

Helenx
    At a pinch!

Red wine however,....is a complete no no !

karia

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    At a pinch!

Red wine however,....is a complete no no !

karia
    I love to cook with wine Karia.....sometimes I even put it in the food x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I love to cook with wine Karia.....sometimes I even put it in the food x
    Me too thumper...but I find it's a devil of a job getting it back in the glass!

karia

Helenx
    Gin is great for cleaning your diamonds! He He

Wifie, Whisky is even better. I used to work in a bottling bond and every Friday we girls used to bring in the gold chains and rings we wanted to wear at the weekend and drop it in a capfull of whisky. Man oh man what a sparkle they had after that. By the way i always buy my butchermeat from a good butchers shop myself as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast