Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Looking for best Photographic locations on orkney

Default Looking for best Photographic locations on orkney

Hi all
    We are off to Orkney next weekend for the week . This will be our first time on Orkney and was wondering if anyone here could give any recommendations on good photographic locations.

Many thanks Martin
    Last edited by Martin England; 01-Oct-07 at 00:18.

Smile

Rackwick Bay on Hoy.

italian chapel

Smile orkney

The east mainland on a good day is beautiful... Out deerness tankerness direction, there is a wee beech on the right hand side once you have passed through toab heading to deerness it is a luvly place - my advice is to wrap up wellx

Hi

Many thanks to you, i will visit them all. We are looking forward to going only 2 days left . Lets just hope the weather behaves itself.

Many thanks again
    Martin

Default Orkney

A lot depends on what you are looking for.
    Seals can be found close to the shore to the West of Stromness (drive through the golf course)
    Then Travel North from Stromness and stop at Yesnaby, it' an old war time gun location looking out onto the raw Alantic.
    Lots of ruggud coastline and stacks you can get lots of white water pics.
    Then continue North to Birsay where there is a causeway at low water lots of photo opportunities.
    And there are no end of tourist sites.
    One of the best i found if a little off the beaten track is the Tomb of the Eagles South Ronaldsay.(lots of seals can be seen there also)
    Deerness is great if you dont mind a walk, there is a Stack/Island off the coast there, it's an interesting climb to the top (cable hand rail in place to help)
    Have seen Minkes and Porpoise off Deerness in October.
    There is also a geo or in this case a callapsed cave with a waterfall falling into it, wide angel lens a must to get the full drop of the fall.
    On the way to Deerness there is a point where the land narrows between a Sea Loch and the sea where some toilets are located, behind the toilets is a fantastic Bay.
    Churchill Barriers are a must.
    Orkney is full of photo opportunities, but you do need some sunshine.
    Wish you all the best, hope we get to see some of your pics when you return.
    Colin

Isn't there somewhere a whale bone jaw or something that has a fantastic view behind it? i seem to remember seeing a pic posted on here ages ago of it but i can't find it

Many thanks Seabird (colin) Some graet places you have mentioned, i will check out and hope to get some pictures. As soon as i get back i intend to finnish setting up my web site and will post pictures from trip. If im allowed i will post a link here. (not sure if im permited to link on here).

Tugmistress very interesting love to know more

OK heres hoping for good weather, sailing from gills in morning.

Martin