Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grove House - Thurso

Good to hear your having some luck with your research, hope you manage to find a lot more!

Thanks ThursaloonIve been trawling through the records researching the ROBERTSONS of THURSO! Its been extremely interesting.
    I wonder what the population of Thurso was in around 1900?

Haven't been on for a while and just seen your posting in March. Well done with your searching - that is great news. I would be interested to know of any further developments with Maggie Robertson. I have spotted a Ardle Joseph Hanratty in Monaghan (8 Carrickaslane) - so perhaps she moved to Ireland.

Maggie Robertson left her 3 illigitimate children in her parents care in Thurso. She married ARDLE J HANRATTY a cab driver in Glasgow on 8th June 1893 she was a domestic servant.
    Ardle J HANRATTY born 1865 died in 1925 aged 60,Maggie Hanratty born 1865 died 1946 aged 81 in Castleblaney Ireland.They obviously settled in Ireland and had a son James born 1895.
    I would love to know the story behind it all and if she ever came back to Thurso!

THE MYSTERY OF MAGGIE ROBERTSON! Further to my earlier post A Maggie Hanratty aged 48 is living at 6 Cowgate Thurso with son James Robertson (TUBBY)aged23 in the1911 census.
    Maggie states shes a farmers wife married19 years had 15 children(poor thing!) and 9 still living. James would be one of her 3 illigitimate shildren,he was born in1888. James was a carter as was the other male Robertsons.
    So whats the story?

Default Maggie Robertson Hanratty

I am a gggrandaughter of Maggie Robertson and Ardle Joseph Hanratty. Their children born in Carrickaslane, Castleblayney, Co Monaghan Ireland were Ardle Martin, Johnny, Frank, James, Mary, Margaret and Lizzie. I am related to Maggie through Ardle Martin. Maggie died in 1946 and is buried in Castleblayney. Didn't know anything about the children she left behind in Thurso and would love to find out more.

Not my family but a great story unfolding,cant wait.

Wow! how exciting! have sent a private message to you! It will be soo interesting to find Maggies Irish family! All thanks to the ORG forum....

Dianne Malcolm where are you???? Maggies Irish family would like to fill you in on Maggies life in Ireland after she left Thurso.

Since I last posted on this thread I have found out a few more wee bits on Maggie Robertson, my gggrandmother. However, the more you find out, the more questions pop up! Has anyone out there any more tidbits on Maggie, the Robertson family or her life in Grove House?

Its a pity that Dianne Malcolm has not seen these last few posts as she could fill us in on Maggies daughter Mary born in Thurso... !

Sorry, not been on for some time. Mary Robertson married George Durrand (a Cooper) and lived at 4 Kirkhill, Wick. They had 11 children, one of whom was my Grandmother, Elizabeth Durrand.

I would be very interested to find out any more about Maggie Robertson and who was the father of Mary, James (Tubby) and David.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne Malcolm View Post
    Sorry, not been on for some time. Mary Robertson married George Durrand (a Cooper) and lived at 4 Kirkhill, Wick. They had 11 children, one of whom was my Grandmother, Elizabeth Durrand.

I would be very interested to find out any more about Maggie Robertson and who was the father of Mary, James (Tubby) and David.

Wow..great you have logged back on Dianne....Maggie Robertson married and went to live in Carrickaslade Ireland and had another family we knew nothing about...and they would like to make contact with her Caithness family...
    Unfortunately we dont know as yet who the fathers of the three children were.....

Hi there nevergiveup, Dianne Malcolm and anyone interested in the story of Maggie and Grove House.

Its been quite a few years since this thread was started.
    I'm still doing my researches on my gr gr grandmother Maggie Robertson Hanratty and have a wee peek in here every so often to see if there's been any update. Please do pm me with any new info. Always very interested to chat to my Thurso cousins.
    Very best wishes from Ireland, Emma.

Lovely to hear from you Emma....It would be so interesting if we could find out more about Maggies Three children she left in Thurso in the care of her parents....They were James,David and Mary....
    Think Mary was a gtgran to Dianne Malcolm..Mary married a George Durrand in Wick its just connecting with the correct family and filling in the history....

Durrands of Wick....? Does George Durrand and Mary Robertson married in 1903....ring any bells....looking for decendants of this couple.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12