Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: help burning discs

Default help burning discs

anyone had any problems burning discs?

my laptop used to burn discs of music without any problem, now it keeps saying theres a problem with the disc - scratched etc. tried every make of disc, cheap to dear but still doesnt work. i use windows media player, and tried several others but still the same. getting fed up now

My son had the same problem......it was goosed sorry!might not be the same problem as you but it does sound like it x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

neva???

its weird as a can listen til cd's, rip music from them but just cant burn new music til a disc.

its still under warranty, but the last time a phoned bout it they just told me to change where a burned my discs.

You should try a laser lense cleaner. It might sound odd as you can still play CD's but I've seen that work before.

Can you explain what you mean by "change where a burned my discs" please? I'm slighty confused.... Lol.
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

sorry. meant try a dif site to burn them. using media player just now, then tried toshibas own one but still no luck.

tried a cleaning disc n it wont work

The laser can wear out quickly if you burn a lot of discs, they are not made to last like stand alone players/recorders. Cheapest option if its knackered would be a new external dvd rewriter drive for about £45 then can use it with any pc/laptop. Replacement internal drives can be got but sometimes only from maker and can be expensive. Under warranty but they'll probably say you wore out the drive and won't cover it.

You could try this: http://www.burn4free.com/

Have you done anything/installed anything to your PC immediately prior to this happening?

Optical drives use different lasers, one for reading, the other for writing, so it (the writer) could be kaput. If it (the laptop) is still under warranty, there's no way that the retailer cite "over use".

It wouldn't be an HP by any chance......?

Cheers

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by RIR View Post
    You could try this: http://www.burn4free.com/

Have you done anything/installed anything to your PC immediately prior to this happening?

Optical drives use different lasers, one for reading, the other for writing, so it (the writer) could be kaput. If it (the laptop) is still under warranty, there's no way that the retailer cite "over use".

It wouldn't be an HP by any chance......?

Cheers

Ian.
    The warranty issue happened to me in 2001, mind you the drive was burning 40 discs a day 7 days a week

Another point with usually worthless warranties some eg Sony may use reconditioned parts and try to repair it first. And many will require a full reinstall of windows before considering looking at it.

i dont burn discs that often, just one every couple of weeks, or less often sometimes. not every day ats for sure

will try phonin company as warranty runs out in next month or so.

thanks all for your advice, and i dont think i installed anything new

It does sound like the laser is on its way out. They don't usully last all that long under the best of circumstances and it sounds like you got a 'weak' one to start with. Definitely get it replaced under warranty if you can as although theyaren't usually difficult to fit, they are often quite expensive for laptops.

I would suggest telling the warranty company that you have tried several different brands of (name some good brand names), tried a lens cleaner disk (Christie's do them for 99p), you've tried the installed software and also Nero Burning Rom (you can download a trial version for free from www.ahead.de ) and Nero says that it cannot burn to the disk because.... That way you've covered all the angles and they can't wriggle out of their warranty obligations and blame you, or the quality of your disks, or choice of software, or dodgy installation of software.

Good luck!!
    Lives of great men all remind us, we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us, footprints on the sands of time.
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Quote Originally Posted by celtchicky View Post
    anyone had any problems burning discs?

my laptop used to burn discs of music without any problem, now it keeps saying theres a problem with the disc - scratched etc. tried every make of disc, cheap to dear but still doesnt work. i use windows media player, and tried several others but still the same. getting fed up now
    Maybe you could try updating the dvdroms firmware.

thanks for all your advice.

had to phone toshiba again, and whilst on phone they made me try to burn a disc so they new exactly what was said. typical, but it burned without any problem

while they were gettin my details, i decided to try it again, and it wouldnt work this time. now they are finally believing me and taking the laptop off til get looked at and hopefully fixed