Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Sparrowhawk

Default Sparrowhawk

I saw a sparrowhawk in Reay near to Sandside estate. Sorry no piccie.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

There was a sparrowhawk sitting in the bushes at the bottom of Nicolson Street last week. I did a double take because I didn't expect to see one there. It stayed there for a few minutes before flying away. It made a change from the usual starlings and house sparrows I see there!

Was looking out my Bedroom window in Pulteneytown the other day and I seen a massive hawk moving in to a tree really fast. It caught my eye because it shot past at pace. Turns out it was attempting to murder a wee wood pigeon - but don't worry bird fans - the Pigeon got away.

Our local bird was terrorizing the Collared doves here the other day. It is a regular visitor to the garden, although I have never seen it catch anything.
    Away with the birds

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalTrevor View Post
    Was looking out my Bedroom window in Pulteneytown the other day and I seen a massive hawk moving in to a tree really fast. It caught my eye because it shot past at pace. Turns out it was attempting to murder a wee wood pigeon - but don't worry bird fans - the Pigeon got away.
    I had a lovely viewpoint on a Sparrowhawk in my garden.........fantastic bird to watch..but it was devouring my garden birds and I couldn't help but feel I had set them up!

It always looks to me as though it is wearing tartan..brown tartan..but none the less!

Magnificent creature.

karia

Quote Originally Posted by MagicalTrevor View Post
    I seen a massive hawk moving in to a tree really fast.
    Was it a sparrowhawk because they are one of the smallest species of hawk and tend to live near wooded/sheltered areas.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Well actually I have no idea if it was a sparrowhawk but it was about the size of a big scorrey :P Looked just like a hawk though.