Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weir family of Caithness

Post Weir family of Caithness

Hi! I'm Bonnie Parker-Duke from Magnolia, Arkansas,USA...well, originally Sacramento, California but moved to Arkansas where my husband teaches criminal justice at Southern Arkansas University.

My grandmother was born Clover Elaine Farquhar to Alexander William Farquhar and his wife Mary Wave Cuson. Alexander Wm. Farquhar (b. 1881, London, Ontario, Canada) was son of Alexander Farquhar (b. 13 June 1855, Wick, Caithness, Scotland) and Jane Christina Weir (b. 17 September 1859, Wick, Caithness, Scotland). Jane C.Weir was the daughter of John Weir (no birth date or place) and Catherine Meiklejohn (b. 5 July 1829, Watten, Caithness, Scotland as far as we know). John Weir and Catherine Meiklejohn's wedding date was 21 December 1855 (Watten, Caithness, Scotland).

John Weir and Catherine Meiklejohn's children were: James, born 1856; Mary, b. 1858; Jane Christina, b. 1859; Donald "Dan", b. 1861; Catherine, b. 1863; John, b. 1866; and Robert, b. 1868.

I am in possession of a letter from Jane Weir's sister Catherine (b. 11 December 1863, Wick, Caithness, Scotland) who later married James Hamiltion, to her brother Donald "Dan" Weir (b. 6 October 1861, Wick, Caithness, Scotland), written from Aqua Vitae Meadows, 5 September 1887 which reads in part:

Our latest loss was our grandfather who died on the 25th of August at the good old age of 97. Our two Uncles Dan and Will came home and he was burried in the new cemetery. Dan and Will went away on Monday. The funeral was on Saturday and it was generally supposed or understood amongst their brothers and sisters that it was for their share of the money that they came home, but they were gloriously disapppointed as Uncle Jim had previously secured it all and entered it all in his own name, farm, stock, money and everything and when they saw how the land lay, they quietly swallowed their disappointment to hide their blushes and made the best of their way back to canny New Castle where they will doubtless remain until the last trumpet shall sound its awful mandate in their ears.

Another letter in my possession from Catherine and Jane's brother-in-law Will Ireland (who married their sister Mary Weir b. 9 February 1858, Wick, Caithness, Scotland) is written to Dan from Swanscombe, Kent, England on 27 November 1887. It reads:

I believe Jeandy and [Uncle] Dan is making a great set out about Grandfather's money. They say he left over£700 and Jim stuck to it all except £50 your father got for holding his tongue about it.

My question is whether anyone might have some idea who the grandfather is who died on 25 August 1887? One of their grandfathers is Donald Meiklejohn (no birthdate but he married Mary Meiklejohn on 14 April 1826 in Watten, Caithness, Scotland).

I believe the other grandfather to be James Weir (no birthdate) who maried Jane or Jean Sutherland but I have no proofs of this yet.

I also do not have a complete list of the children of either set of grandparents.

Does anyone know who the unidentified grandfather is? We know from his date of death and the fact that Kate said he was 97 that he must have been born in 1790. And I have a partial list of his children: Will, Dan, Jeandy. His brother's name was James or Jim.

I have a partial list of the children of Donald Meiklejohn and Mary Meiklejohn; William, b. 1828; Catherine, b. 1829; John, b. 1831; Janet, 1833; Donald, 1836; and Robert, 1842.

I would appreciate any assistance or leads you might be able to share.

Thank you in advance.

Bonnie Parker-Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnie Parker-Duke View Post
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]
    My question is whether anyone might have some idea who the grandfather is who died on 25 August 1887? One of their grandfathers is Donald Meiklejohn (no birthdate but he married Mary Meiklejohn on 14 April 1826 in Watten, Caithness, Scotland).
    Donald Meiklejohn of West Watten died on the 18th June 1862 aged 67, Mary the 7th October 1860 aged 57, they are buried in the Churchyard.

In the next grave to them is George Meiklejohn of Bilbster died 1st August 1841 aged 48, his wife Elizabeth Bremner died 15th October 1850 aged 56, daughter Isabel died 15th June 1874 aged 39 and son Donald died 1st April 1880 aged 58.

Default Thank you

Fred, Thank you so much! We're getting somewhere by process of elimination at least! Thank you so much for taking the time. I hope I can repay the kindness some day!

Default Donald Meiklejohn

Funny thing - I was just looking at their family on the Ancestry.com census indexes.

1851 Scotland Census
    about Robert Meiklejohn
    Name:Robert Meiklejohn Age:8 Estimated birth year:abt 1843 Relationship:Son Father's nameonald Mother's name:Mary Gender:Male Where born:Watten, Caithness Parish Number:42 Civil parish:Watten County:Caithness Address:Wester Watten Occupation:Scholar ED:4 Page:15 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number:60 Line:2 Roll:CSSCT1851_9 Household Members:
    Name Age
    Elizabeth Bruce 24
    James Bruce 26
    James Bruce 4 Mo
    Donald Meiklejohn 56
    Donald Meiklejohn 15
    Janet Meiklejohn 18
    John Meiklejohn 20
    Mary Meiklejohn 50
    Robert Meiklejohn 8 possibly had a son Robert Meiklejohn c 1870/1 with Johan/Johanna Gordon and then probably married in 1873 to Margaret Doull in Watten

Robert Meiklejohn c 1870/1871 married Margaret Oag Jan 29 1897 in Wick. Their daughter married a cousin of mine.

For a list of children of Donald and Mary
    Elizabeth 1827 married James Bruce
    William 1828
    Catherin 1829
    John 1831
    Janet 1833
    Williamina 1834
    Donald 1836
    Robert 1842

Mamie

Quote Originally Posted by Mamie_2 View Post
    Funny thing - I was just looking at their family on the Ancestry.com census indexes.

1851 Scotland Census
    about Robert Meiklejohn
    Name:Robert Meiklejohn Age:8 Estimated birth year:abt 1843 Relationship:Son Father's nameonald Mother's name:Mary Gender:Male Where born:Watten, Caithness Parish Number:42 Civil parish:Watten County:Caithness Address:Wester Watten Occupation:Scholar ED:4 Page:15 (click to see others on page) Household schedule number:60 Line:2 Roll:CSSCT1851_9 Household Members:
    Name Age
    Elizabeth Bruce 24
    James Bruce 26
    James Bruce 4 Mo
    Donald Meiklejohn 56
    Donald Meiklejohn 15
    Janet Meiklejohn 18
    John Meiklejohn 20
    Mary Meiklejohn 50
    Robert Meiklejohn 8 possibly had a son Robert Meiklejohn c 1870/1 with Johan/Johanna Gordon and then probably married in 1873 to Margaret Doull in Watten

Robert Meiklejohn c 1870/1871 married Margaret Oag Jan 29 1897 in Wick. Their daughter married a cousin of mine.

For a list of children of Donald and Mary
    Elizabeth 1827 married James Bruce
    William 1828
    Catherin 1829
    John 1831
    Janet 1833
    Williamina 1834
    Donald 1836
    Robert 1842

Mamie
    Thank you so much, Mamie! I find the Meiklejohns the most confusing of all my ancestors, except the Harpers, to research with all the Donalds and Mary's in each generation!

Thanks for sharing your findings with me. As I've said before, being in the States puts me at a definate disadvantage!!

Bonnie

Default Weirs of Wick

Hello Bonnie, that’s a truly fascinating story you tell, with the help of those great little excerpts from letters – what a cold homecoming and lesson learned.

Well, surprise surprise, I think I can clear up the mystery for you, and give you a lot of documentation as well. I’m related to these Weirs, and I’ve done a fair bit of digging around their roots already. Not that I knew this story before.

The grandfather with the tightly-controlled will was James Weir, father of Catherine Meiklejohn’s husband, John Weir. He was a farmer, and he did die in 1887. He lived to the ripe old age of about 87 – not 97, unless he was baptized awfie late; I guess his grandchildren exaggerated, or simply didn’t kinow. He would have been fairly well off when he died, having farmed 20-24 acres of arable land for several decades, although he started off life as a weaver, like his own father.

Anyway, here’s the paper trail. One important fact to remember is that he was married twice.

Birth of James Weir:
    1800 Wick Parish Births Registry Extract:
    "1800 May 15th Whier, John in Thuster had by his wife Jean Cormack a Child baptised James. Wit Dond Mowat in Thuster & Alexr Suthd there."

1st Marriage of James Weir – to Jean Sutherland:
    1822 Wick Marriages Registry Extract, 043/ 050/ 023:
    "Weir James Weir, Weaver in Thuster was matrimonially cont.d to Jean Sutherland daugr of Wm. Sutherland Farmer in Stirkoke. Jno. Weir Weaver in Thuster & Donald Sutherland Farmer in Blinseny? ~ Cautioners - Married on June 22nd."

They had 3 children

John - 1822 Wick Births Registry Extract [GROS 043/ 040 049] :
    "July 26th Whier James Whier Weaver in Thuster had by his wife Jean Sutherland a son born July 26th bapt. Augt.23 named John Wit. Jno. Whier Weaver & Alexr Hamilton Day Labr both in Thuster."
    [** This is the John Weir who went on to marry Catherine Meiklejohn]

Catherine - 1825 Wick Births Registry Extract [GROS 043/ 040/ 097]:
    "March 14th Whier James Weaver in Thuster had by his wife Jean Sutherland a daugr. baptized and named Catherine Wit. Jno Whier Weaver in Thuster & Jno Whier Mason in Bankhead."

James - 1827 Wick Births Registry Extract [GROS 043 040 160]:
    "Decr. 4 Whier James in Thuster had by his wife Jean Sutherland a child bap. named James Wit. James Whier and Alexander Whier in Fleshwill."
    [**This James was alive in 1841, but probably died soon thereafter]

Jane Sutherland died sometime between 1828 and 1835.

James Weir married (his second wife) Jane Cormack.
    1835 Wick Parish Marriages Registry Extract:
    "(Nov) 20 Weir - James, Farmer in Wathegar was maty. contd. to Jane Cormack in Bilbster. David Davidson, Cooper in Wick caut. for the man and Alexander Hamilton, Farmer in Milton, for the woman."

James had 6 more children with Jane Cormack, including my greatgranny Elizabeth, the youngest:

Jane - 1836 Wick Births Registry Extract 17 June 1836:
    “James Weir, Farmer in Wathegar had by his wife Jane Cormack a daughter born April… bap and named Jane. Wits William Davidson Cooper in Wick and Christian Weir in Wathegar"
    [**This oldest sibling must be the ‘Jeandy’ in the letter you quote. She remained on her parents’ farm, unmarried, until 1875, but she was no longer there at the time of the 1881 census.]

David - 1837 Wick Births Registry Extract:
    "James Weir Farmer in Wathegar had by his wife Jane Cormack a son born Aug 11th 1837, baptd and named David. Wits Donald Tait, Farmer in Wathegar and Catherine Weir there”
    [**David seems to have died in infancy – he’s not in the 1841 or subsequent censuses]

William - 1838 Wick Births Registry Extract:
    "The said James (Weir) Farmer in Wathegar had by his wife Jane Cormack a son born Nov 19th 1838 bapd and named William. Wits George Shearer, labourer in Thurster and Janet Cormack in Wathegar")
    [**This must be the ‘Uncle Will’ that Catherine refers to in her 1887 letter]

Donald - 1840 Wick Births Registry Extract:
    "The said James (Weir) Farmer in Wathegar had by his wife Jane Cormack a son born Oct 3d baptd and named Donald.")
    [**This must be the ‘Uncle Dan’ that Catherine refers to in her 1887 letter]

James - 1843 Wick Births Registry Extract:
    "James Weir in Miltown had by his wife Jean Cormack a son born 16th January bapd and named James. Wit John Hamilton in Wester Seat & Christina Weir in Stirkoke"
    [**This must be the ‘Uncle Jim’ who managed to get all his father’s property – see below]

Elizabeth – b about 1848, Wick - I’ve never found her birth registry, but the registration document when she married my great grandfather, William Bruce, attests to her parentage:
    “1877 on the Seventh day of December at Milton, Parish of Wick After Banns according to the Forms of the Free Church of Scotland (signed) William Bruce Blacksmith (journeyman) (Bachelor) 32 Louisburgh Wick [Parents:] Peter Bruce Farmer Elizabeth Bruce M.S. Sutherland (signed) Elizabeth Weir (Spinster) 29 Milton Parish of Wick [Parents:] James Weir Farmer Jane Weir M.S. Cormack (signed) George Renny Minister of the Free Church of Wick (signed) James Weir Witness, Charlotte Cormack Witness [Reg:] 1877 December 10th At Wick William Miller fr Registrar”)

[Uh-oh, I got a flag saying that my post is too long. I'll have to stop it here, and hopefully send the rest separately. You can email me at humphreyjohn@rogers.com and I'll give full details]

Regards, John Humphrey
    The (hopefully) attached photo is of my great grandmother, Elizabeth Weir, and her children, taken about 1898 - more later

Default Weirs of Wick part two

Hi Bonnie, here's my message continued....

Here’s the James Weir/ Jane Cormack family in the 1841 Wick Census [ 043 ED4 p16]:
    "WEIR James M 40 Farmer b Caithness
    WEIR Jane F 35 Wife b Caithness
    WEIR Cath. F 15 Agricultural Labourer b Caithness
    WEIR James M 13 Agricultural Labourer b Caithness
    WEIR Jane F 3 b Caithness
    WEIR Wm. M 2 b Caithness
    WEIR Donald M 8m b Caithness
    RYRIE Wm. M 10 Cow Herd Caithness."
    [**Catherine & James were James Weir's children by his previous marriage to Jean Sutherland].

By this time, John had left home and was living as an apprentice with another Wick family:
    1841 Wick Census, [GROS 043 ED 5 p24]
    "Address: Haster
    ABBY Robert M 35 Joiner b Outside Census County (1841)
    ABBY Agnes F 30 Wife b Outside Census County (1841)
    ABBY David M 18 Joiner Journeyman b Outside Census County (1841)
    FORBES David M 25 Joiner Journeyman b Caithness
    WHEIR John M 17 Joiner Apprentice b Caithness"

This is James & Jane again in 1851:
    1851 Wick Census [GROS 043 ED 7 p36 schedule 131]
    "Address: Newton
    WIER James Head M M 49 Farmer Of 18 Acres b - Wick
    WIER Jean Wife - F 43 - b - Wick
    WIER Jean Dau U F 14 Scholar b - Wick
    WIER William Son - M 12 Scholar b - Wick
    WIER Donald Son - M 10 Scholar b - Wick
    WIER James Son - M 8 - b Wick
    WIER Elizabeth Dau - F 2 - b Wick
    WIER Jean Ma-Law W F 82 Pauper Form Farmers Wife b - Wick Unsure about husbands former occupation."
    [**Jean Weir aged 82 was Jean Cormack’s mother – Her maiden name was Weir too – as per Jean Cormack’s 1883 death certificate, below. Not sure how all these Weirs interrelated. And incidentally the Cormacks intermarried in dizzying fashion as well – James Weir’s father, John Weir, was also married to a Jean Cormack! – see James’ birth registration]

In 1861:
    1861 Wick Census [GROS 043 ED 2 p17-18 }
    "Milton:
    James Weir Head Mar 60 Farmer of 20 acres b Wick (1 child age 5-15 @ school) 2 rooms w 1 or more windows; Jane Weir Wife Mar 55 b Wick;
    Jane Weir Daur Un 23 Domestic Servant b Wick;
    Donald Weir Son Un 20 Cooper b Wick;
    James Weir Son Un 18 [? Sen.?] b Wick;
    Bety Weir Daur 10 Scholar b Wick."

In 1871:
    1871 Wick Census [GROS 043 ED6 p5 Sched 25]
    “James Weir Head M 70 Farmer of 20 acres arable b Wick;
    Jane Do Wife M 68 b Wick;
    Jane Do Daur Unm 30 General Servant b Wick;
    James Do Son Unm 20 Farm Servant b Wick;
    Elizabeth Do Daur Unm 22 General Servant b Wick;
    David Do Grandson 2 mo b Wick."
    [***David Weir, born in January, was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth. He was also known as
    David Leitch. Presumably the father was Joseph Leitch, 42, who lived on the next farm:
    [Sched 23] Neil Leitch Head Unm 78 Farmer of 30 acres arable b Latheron;
    Joseph Do Son M 42 Farm Servant b Bower;
    Margaret Do Daur in law 38 b Reay;
    Hughina Do Grand daur 11 Scholar b Wick;
    Neill Do Grandson 6 Scholar b Wick;
    Donald Do Grandson 3 b Wick;
    Christina Granddaur 6 mos b Wick
    [***This situation was complicated by the fact that Joseph also had a newborn daughter, 6 months old, Christina, with his wife Margaret.]

And finally:
    1881 Wick Census [GROS 043 ED 14 p4]
    "James Weir Head Marr 80 M Farmer 24 Ac arable employ 1 man b Wick;
    Jane Weir Wife Marr 74 F b Wick;
    James Weir Son Marr 36 Farm Manager b Wick;
    Elizabeth Weir Dau in Law Marr 30 F b Wick;
    Jessie Weir GrandDau 4 F b Wick;
    Jane Weir GrandDau 2 F b Wick;
    Elizabeth Weir GrandDau 1 F b Wick;
    James Weir GSon 6 m. M b Wick;
    David Leitch GSon 10 M Scholar b Wick."
    [**Elizabeth Weir (James & Jane's daughter) had married William Bruce 3 years before; they were living in Janetstown, Wick at census time. Elizabeth’s illegitimate son David Leitch, was still living with his grandparents,
    Though

Death of James Weir – Catherine’s letter says it was 25th August 1887. Close. Wick Deaths Registry Extract, 1887 [L183] says the evening of 24th August:
    "James Weir Farmer Widower of Jane Sutherland, previously of Jane Cormach 1887 August Twenty Fourth 6 h 30m P.M. Milton Parish of Wick M 87 Years [Parents:] John Weir Weaver Master (Deceased) Jane Weir M.S. Cormack (Deceased) [Cause:] Cardiac Valvular Diseas & Bronchial Catarrh Several Years As Certified by A.Alexander M.B.C.M. [Inf:] John Weir Son Janetstown [Reg:] 1887 August 25th At Wick D Fraser? Sandison Assist Registrar." [**The registration says "Widower of Jane Sutherland, previously of Jane Cormack", but Jane Sutherland was actually his first wife, and Jane Cormack died only in 1883]

This was James’ wife Jean Cormack’s death 4 years earlier:
    1883 Wick Deaths Registry Extract 86B: "Jane Weir (Married to James Weir, Farmer) 1883, April Ninth 10h 30 min AM F 75 years [Parents:] David Cormack Farmer (deceased) Jane Cormack M.S. Weir (deceased) [Cause:] Epithelioma of Thigh Several Years Dropsy and Debility 3 months as certified by John Alexander MD &c Wick [Inf:] James Weir Son [Reg:] 1883 April 9th At Wick ??W Miller Feteris?? Assistt Registrar."

MORE FOLLOWS - John

Default Weirs of Wick

OK Bonnie, part 3 coming up (of 4)

John Weir married Catherine Meikeljohn in 1855,
    Watten Marriages Registry Extract , 042/ 04:
    "On the Twenty first December 1855 Watten according to the order of the Free Church of Scotland (after banns) Marriage was solemnized between us (Signd.) John Weir Janetstown Wick 32 Cartwright [birth:] Wick, Registered on July 14, 1823 in Wick [Parents:] James Weir Farmer Jean Sutherland (sigd) Catherine Meiklejohn Wick Domestic Servant [birth:] Watten, Registered on July 6, 1829 in Watten [Parents:] Donald Meiklejohn Farmer Mary Meiklejohn [sgnd] Alex Gunn [sgnd] Andrew Manson Witness [sgnd] John Tait Witness [Reg:] 1855 December 24th at Watten James Latta Registrar."

I haven’t been able to find John Weir in any censuses after 1841, even though there’s every sign that he lived in Janetstown Wick throughout … Have you traced him? It’s weird. I’ve tried soundex. Can’t get a bite..

I have Catherine Meiklejohn, with her parents, in the 1841 Watten Census
    [GROS 042 ED 3 p3]:
    "MEIKLEJOHN Donald M 45 Agricultural Labourer b Caithness
    MEIKLEJOHN Mary F 40 b Caithness
    MEIKLEJOHN Catherine F 12 b Caithness
    MEIKLEJOHN John M 10 b Caithness
    MEIKLEJOHN Janet F 8 b Caithness
    MEIKLEJOHN Donald M 5 b Caithness.

But she’d left home by 1851, too, and I can’t find her anywhere either:
    1851 Watten Census [GROS 042 ED 4 p14 schedule 60]
    "Address: Wester Watten
    MEIKLEJOHN Donald Head M M 56 Agricultural Labourer b Watten
    MEIKLEJOHN Mary Wife M F 50 Ag. Lab. Wife b Watten
    MEIKLEJOHN John Son U M 20 Agricultural Labourer b Watten
    MEIKLEJOHN Janet Dau U F 18 Agricultural Hirer b Watten
    MEIKLEJOHN Donald Son U M 15 Farm Servant b Watten
    BRUCE James Sonlaw M M 26 Agricultural Labourer b Watten
    BRUCE Elizabeth Dau M F 24 Domestic Duties b Watten
    BRUCE James Grnson U M 4m Domestic Duties Daug. b Watten”
    [**I’m interested in who this James Bruce might be, married to Elizabeth Meiklejohn. ‘My’ Bruce family were from Whitefield, Watten]

[Note that the 1851 census indicates that Donald was born in Watten about 1794. However, the 1861 census indicates that he was born in Thurso:
    1861 Watten Census [GROS 042 ED 3 p1 schedule 1]:
    "Address: Bridgend
    MIKLEJOHN Donald Head W M 66 Retired Labourer b - Thurso
    MIKLEJOHN John Son U M 30 Agricultural Labourer b - Watten
    MIKLEJOHN Robert Son U M 18 Agricultural Labourer b - Watten
    MIKLEJOHN Janet Dau U F 27 Domestic Servant b - Watten."
    [Donald was recently widowed].

This is Mary’s death registration, which gives her parents names:
    1860 Watten Deaths Registry Extract, 042/ 017. "Meiklejohn, Mary Married 1860 October Seventh 4h A.M. at West Watten, Watten F 57 [Parents:] John Meiklejohn Farmer dec Elizabeth Meiklejohn maiden name Campbell [Cause:] Paralysis for months as certified by Alex Robertson Surgeon Bower last seen 23 Sepr 1860 [Burial:] Churchyard of Watten as certified by Joseph Ritchie [Inf:] John Meiklejohn Son present [Reg:] 1860 October 8th at Watten James Latta Registrar."]

Donald died in 1862:
    1862 Watten Deaths Registry Extract, 042/ 013. "Donald Meiklejohn Labourer Widower of Mary Meiklejohn 1862 June Eighteenth 7h P.M. West Watten, Watten M 67 yrs [Parents:] William Meiklejohn Farmer dec Catherine Meiklejohn MS Smith dec [Cause:] Asthma 6 years Anasarea(?) 3 months as certified by Alex Robertson Surgeon Bower [Inf:] John Meiklejohn Son Present [Reg:] 1862 June 23d At Watten James Latta Registrar."

Three of his surviving children were living together in the 1871 Watten Census [042 ED 2 p26 schedule 114]:
    “Village Of West Watten
    Meikeljohn Robert Head Unm M 27 Grocer b Watten
    Brims Janet Sister W F 36 Housekeeper b Watten
    Meikeljohn Donald Brothr Unm M 34 Hedger b Watten
    Weir Jane Niece F 11 Scholar b Wick”
    [**Jane Weir would be your Great Great Grandmother, Jane Christina Weir, daughter of their sister Catherine Meikeljohn **]

I would guess that this is the other son, John, also in West Watten:
    1871 Watten Census, 042 ED 2 p 25 schedule 107.
    "Village Of West Watten
    MEIKELJOHN John Head M M 40 Road Labourer b - Watten
    MEIKELJOHN Janet Wife M F 36 - b - Watten
    MEIKELJOHN Elisabeth Daur - F 2 - b - Watten."

By the way, based on those censuses, and with the help of the IGI, I have the following offspring of Donald Meiklejohn & Mary Campbell
    Elizabeth 1826
    William 1828
    Catherine 1829
    John 1830
    Janet 1832
    Donald 1835
    Robert 1842

Donald Meiklejohn and Mary Meiklejohn (that was her Maiden Name too – but I don’t know how closely they were related) married in Watten 14 Apr 1826

Finally, here’s the death registration of John Weir:
    1891 Wick Deaths Registry Extract B82 [GROS 043/ 082]: "John Weir Joiner Master Married to Catherine Meiklejohn 1881 April Twenty Ninth 5h. 0m. P.M. Janetstown Parish of Wick M 68 years [Parents:] James Weir Farmer (Deceased) Jane Weir M.S. Sutherland (Deceased) [Cause:] Pneumonia 8 days As certified by J. Alexander M.D. [Inf:] James Weir Son Achairn [Reg:] 1881 April 30th At Wick D.R.Sandison Registrar."

Default Weirs of Wick - final comments

Hello again, Bonnie,

Based on all the foregoing, it seems that the “uncle Jim” who managed to snag all James Weir’s money was his youngest son James Weir (baptized 16 Jan 1843). He stayed down on the farm while the older brothers skipped off away– eventually seemingly to Newcastle in England? - a fatal mistake on their part. William was already living in North Berwick as a lodger and saddler, aged 22, by the time of the 1861 census. Donald had left Wick too by 1871 – to parts unknown. And even the oldest sibling Jean (who is probably ‘Jeandy’) finally married in 1879, at the age of 43, and moved away to live with James Wares, after working for years as a domestic servant to her parents. All this enabled the youngest brother James Weir to “stick to it all”. His siblings were all ‘away’. Meanwhile, he became “Farm Manager” (per 1881 census), which made it easy for him, in the words of the 1887 letter, to “secure it all and enter it all in his own name, farm, stock, money and everything”.

Here’s the registration of Jean’s move away, 1879 Wick Marriages Registry Extract [GROS 043/ 0022]:
    "1879 On the Twentieth day of May at Williamson? Street, Pulteneytown After Banns according to the forms of the Church of Scotland (Signed) David Wares Cooper (journeyman) Widower 40 Williamson? Street Pulteneytown [Parents:] William Wares Fisherman (deceased) Jane Wares M.S. Cormack (deceased) (Signed) Jane Weir Domestic Servant (Spinster) 40 Williamson? Street Pulteneytown [Parents:] James Weir Farmer Jane Weir M.S. Cormack (Signed) Wm. H. Anderson Minister of the Parish of Pulteneytown (Signed) William Bruce Witness James Weir Witness [Reg:] 1879 May 23d At Wick W. Miller Testar...? Assist. Registrar."
    [**Witness William Bruce had married Jane's younger sister, Elizabeth Weir, 18 months previously]

James Weir Jr., the winner in all this, had married Elizabeth Campbell in 1875, and was installed with her in his father’s house. They eventually had 8 children, and he lived to the ripe age of 79, per 1922 Wick Deaths Registry Extract [GROS 043/ 086]:
    "James Weir Farmer Married to Elizabeth Campbell 1922 June Twenty second 12h/ Noon Milton Parish of Wick M 79 years [Parents:] James Weir Farmer (Deceased) Jane Weir M.S. Cormack (Deceased) [Cause:] Cardiac Disease as certified by Thos. Wright M.D. [Inf:] James Weir Son (Present) 1922 June 23rd At Wick J.D. Sandison Registrar."

By the way, James Weir Sr did have another son named James with his first wife, Jean Sutherland. He was born in 1827, and still alive in 1841, but he probably died before this second James was born (to his second wife) in 1843.

By the way, where on earth is ‘Aqua Vitae Meadows’, that Catherine Weir wrote from in 1887? Somewhere in Wick?

For your interest, I attached a photograph to my first posting of the youngest of the Weir siblings, the rather fierce-looking Elizabeth. That’s her, in widow’s garb, photographed (by my grandfather, about 1900) with her six Bruce children. Ttop right is David Leitch, the result of a liaison with a neighbouring farmer before she married William Bruce, my great grandfather.
    My grandfather, James Bruce, is top left. He was a Stonemason, and Company Sergeant Major with the 5th Seaforth Highlanders during the Great War; he was killed in July 1918, when my mother was 1 year old.

Anyway, that’s all for now. I live in Toronto, Canada, so I’m afraid I’m far removed from Wick and Watten!

Best of luck with your searching.
    I enjoyed the little drama you uncovered.
    John Humphrey (Toronto, Canada)

Default Robert Meiklejohn 1842

with further research I believe he would have died unmarried.

The Robert c 1848 who had son with Johan Gordon was a cousin though. His parents were Mary Meiklejohn's brother David and Janet Miller.

Mary and David's parents were John Meiklejohn and Elizabeth Campbell.
    John and Elizabeth had 5 children that I can find
    Frances 1798
    Mary 1800
    Robert 1802
    John 1808
    David c 1819

John born Halkirk 1767 to Frances Meiklejohn and Janet Stewart

Frances born c 1740 possibly to Donald.

a good tree for Meiklejohn's can be found here
    http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm....illis&id=I7746

Mamie

I have another child for Donald and Mary
    Williamina 1834

No obvious relationships known for Donald and Mary other than their marriage

Fascinating stuff really

Default Weirs of Wick

Hello again, Bonnie.
    As a postscript, I've just dug up some information on three of the 'away' siblings who met such disappointment when they returned for their father's funeral. I believe this is Donald/Dan (Daniel), William and Jeandy (Jean) found in the 1881 Census. As you can see, the two older sons were separately in North East England (County Durham, not Newcastle as the letter implied) - and Daniel was long since married. Jean was in the town of Wick:
    The three ‘away’ siblings.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    RG11 Piece 5027 Folio 72 p18, 1881 Census Hedworth Monkton & Jarrow, Durham, England. "54 Station Rd
    Daniel WEIR Head M 39 M Cooper b Scotland
    Margret WEIR Wife M 36 F b North Sunderland
    Marey A. WEIR Daughter 13 F Scholer b North Sunderland
    Marey Ann WEIR Daughter 10 F Scholer b Hebburn, Durham
    Joseph ARMSTRONG Border U 20 M Ryw Signalman b Allendale, Durham."
    ['Daniel' or 'Dan' was the nickname of Donald Weir. The birthplace of his wife, and of his 13 year old daughter indicates that he had been living in Durham for at least 15 years. The 1861 Wick census also recorded his occupation as Cooper.]

RG11 Piece 4945 Folio 111 p 75, 1881 Census, Conside & Knitsley, Durham, England, LDS CD. "46 Puddlers Row
    Elizabeth OSBORNE Head W 44 F Laundress b South Shields
    Mary J. OSBORNE Daur U 19 F b South Shields
    William OSBORNE Son U 16 M Labourer In Ironworks b Ebchester, Durham
    Thomason OSBORNE U Daur 14 F Scholar b Ebchester
    Sarah E. OSBORNE Daur 10 F Scholar b Ebchester
    William WEIR Boarder U 44 M Saddler b Scotland
    John GARRISON Boarder U 26 M Sailor Millwright Lab b St Johns N B (British Subject)." [The 1861 North Berwick (East Lothian) Census also recorded William as a Saddler.]

----------------------------------------------
    1881 Wick Census GRO 043 ED 5 p20
    3 Williamson St
    David WARES Head M 41 M Cooper b Wick
    Jean WARES Wife M 41 F b Wick
    Jane WARES Dau 10 F Scholar b Wick
    Margaret WARES Dau 8 F Scholar b Wick
    William WARES Son 1 M b Wick
    [This is the same address recorded on their 1879 marriage certificate]
    ----------------------------------------

I hope this helps (or confirms) your research
    John

Default Thank you, Mamie!

Thank you so much for your help, Mamie. I'm going to print all the info out and update my pedigree and family files and I think it will be all much less confusing than it has been to me so far. I can't tell you how I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I hope I can repay it in kind one day!

Bonnie

Default You are welcome Bonnie

...just trying to help lol

If it weren't for other geneaologists from Scotland and Scandanavia helping me I wouldn't have quite so many people in my database. So even if you can't help me one day you may be able to help someone else and that will be good too.

but just in case I am still trying to find a death record for my great grandmother Elizabeth Matheson. She should have died between 1912 and 1924 but have had no luck finding it so far. She was born in 1854 in Gills, married in 1886 in Edinburgh, temporarily emigrated to the US with husband, had two children there but family was back in Scotland for the 1891 and 1901 censuses and was listed on her daughter's marriage certificate in 1912.

Her husband James Sutherland died in Edinburgh in 1924 and she was already deceased. There is a family story that she may have been committed to an institution after 1912 but I can't find that either.

Mamie

Default Weir/Sutherland

I knew eventually if i hung out here long enough i'd get a Large chunk of information to match into my tree!
    Elizabeth Campbell b1851 James Weir b1843 are my fathers Grandaunt and uncle.
    we have some old photo's mostly of the Campbell's but includes Liz Weir in 1919
    Perserverence is the Key
    Searching Hazel,Campbell,Sutherland,Bremner,Calder,Gunn.
    Jacquie

I am not 100% about this and I'm sure others can put me right if not but I think that "Aqua Vitae Meadows" is on the left hand side of the road as you leave Janetstown in Wick heading for Milton.
    I think it is/was occupied by James Weir who in his younger days worked the "Meadows" as well as being a teacher at Thurso High School.

Default Wow!

Thanks so much. I have meant to ask again about Aqua Vitae Meadows and got side tracked. Being Amerian, I'm not sure of this so I have to ask: it is, as I suspected, the name of the property then? I know the English name their homes but did not know if the Scots did as well. (We have because I think it's a charming custom!)

I also need to ask, which James Weir are you speaking of? I know that, according to Catherine Meiklejohn Weir's letters, she went to live with James Weir (her son) and his wife Charlotte Cormack Weir late in life at their farm that had a Janetstown address

Thanks so much for sharing that nifty little tidbit with me, though, because I know I'm not the only one who was curious about Aqua Vitae Meadows!

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie
    Aqua Vitae Meadow is the name of the farm and as far as I am aware it is still called that although I think it may sometimes be shortened to Aquavitae.
    I have no info on the relationships but as far as I am aware James Weir is still alive and lives there. He will possibly be in his late 70's or maybe even in his 80's and I think that his father was also named James Weir.

Default Thanks again!

Thank you so much!

Do you suppose that if I send a letter in the mail to him at that address, it might actualy arrive there or do you think it may be returned? I would like to share the letters I have with him if he would be interested.

Post Worth a try

Don't think it would do any harm and he maybe delighted.
    If Mr Weir does not want to become involved then he can always just ignore the letter.

Aqua Vitae Meadow
    Janetstown
    WICK
    Caithness
    KW1 5LE
    Scotland

should find him ok

Good luck

B

Default James Weir at Aqua Vitae Meadow

Beelag, I just wanted to let you know that I have written to James Weir at Aqua Vitae Meadow...about three weeks ago. I have heard nothing but it is early. I have no idea how long it takes mail to get from here to there. I'm not giving up. Thanks for the information and suggestion even if he chooses not to respond.

Bonnie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast