Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Names

Default Scottish Names

Can anyone help with the female name Jessie. Is this a shortened version of a name, and if so please can you tell me what it might be.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Mandy
    Mandy

Jessie is a shorter name for Jessica as far as i am aware

Default Scottish Names

I may be wrong, but I seem to think its Jamesina. I'm sure there was a great great aunt in my family with that name!

Also used for Janet in past

Default Scottish Names

Many thanks for your replies, I will look under the suggested names

Mandy
    Mandy

Jessie was used interchangeably with Janet/Jannet/Jennet throughout my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Jessie was used interchangeably with Janet/Jannet/Jennet throughout my family.

Mine also . Was this a common thing to do ?
    It does make things more difficult ... well perhaps 'interesting' would be a better word .

Cool Scottish Names

Its very confusing isn't it my Granny's name was Jessie
    Yet my Auntie is Shiela and she is also known as Jessie, My mum often told me i was named after both my granny's Jessie and Ann, but my first name is Shona. Something to do with The Gaelic meaning of Jessie....must try and find out

Default jessie and janet are interchangeable

In Scotland in the 17-1800s, Janet and Jessie were interchangeable as were Jean and Jane. It is very common.

JeZebell or Jesebelle was another most Jamesinas were called Ina
    Its nice to be nice

My grandmother was called Jessie or Jess, and her real name was Janet. Yet her own grandmother was also Janet, but she was called Jenny.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Anne x View Post
    JeZebell or Jesebelle was another most Jamesinas were called Ina
    Always thought Ina was short form of Rosina my daughters second name after her GGmother. regards robyn
    Looking for Bain, Mowat(t), from Keiss-by-Wick

Lots of "Ina"s in my family, shortened from Hughina, Robertina, Christina, Donaldina, Jamesina, Johnina...and so on. It's caused me quite a few problems finding them at times....and telling them apart
    My mum was called Alexandra after her grandfather Alexander -thankfully not "Alexanderina", which you do find as well.
    The most unusual "ina" ending name Ive found so far in my family is probably "Malcolmina" -poor girl, what a mouthful!

one that got me for a wee while was Elizabeth >> Beth Betty Bessie Liz Or Lizzy /Lis or Liza eventually got there
    Its nice to be nice

I think sometimes it was a case of "anything goes" when it came to sticking "ina" on to the end of a name.
    I have among mine - Neilina, Davidina, Anderina, Charlesina, Benjamina, Edwina, Tomina, Alexanderina/Alexina, Jacobina, Robertina/Robina, Dolina/Donaldina, Georgina, Williamina etc etc..........

I also have Euphemia/Effie/Effy/Sofia/Sophia: Elizabeth/Isabella/Eliza/Bella

airdlass, do you remember it was you who found my great aunt Hughina Mowat's marriage for me?
    Not only did she appear as "Ina", she also had the temerity to get married as far away as Helmsdale.....!
    With that info as a starting point, I've managed to find out a lot more about her life ....thank you VERY much!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    airdlass, do you remember it was you who found my great aunt Hughina Mowat's marriage for me?
    Not only did she appear as "Ina", she also had the temerity to get married as far away as Helmsdale.....!
    With that info as a starting point, I've managed to find out a lot more about her life ....thank you VERY much!
    You're very welcome Angela. Only too happy to help.

Yes our ancestors like to keep us on our toes sometimes! All part of the fun.

On the subject of the many versions of male names with "ina" tacked on the end............ as I understand it this is a corruption or anglicisation of the Gaelic for "daughter of" which is nighean. It sounds quite ugly in English at times with names like Murdochina but "daughter of Murdoch"" has a certain family charm about it said in Gaelic in particular. My grandmother used the Gaelic versions of our names and they sounded quite different to what was on our birth certificates!

Marion

Quote Originally Posted by marionq View Post
    On the subject of the many versions of male names with "ina" tacked on the end............ as I understand it this is a corruption or anglicisation of the Gaelic for "daughter of" which is nighean. It sounds quite ugly in English at times with names like Murdochina but "daughter of Murdoch"" has a certain family charm about it said in Gaelic in particular. My grandmother used the Gaelic versions of our names and they sounded quite different to what was on our birth certificates!

Marion
    I agree, Marion. My father's family were Gaelic speakers from Wester Ross and all their names sound quite beautiful in Gaelic....

hope this helps a little...Jessie comes from the Hebrew yishai 'Riches' or a Gift..,The form was most promently used as a male name but it became a popular name in scotland for females.It is a variation of JANET...Other variants are jesse, jessica, and jasmine.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast