Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Curried Prawns

Talking Curried Prawns

This is a low carb recipe so not so good for those worried about fat content, but really yummy. I typed it out to send to Laguna and thought I may as well stick it on here as well incase anyone else wanted to have a go.

Creamy Curried Prawns

1oz/30g butter
    1tbl olive oil
    1 onion sliced
    1clove garlic crushed (I use a couple)
    ½tbl curry powder
    1 red chilli, seeded and chopped ( I used crushed out of the jar, about ½ tsp)
    ¾ cup chicken stock (I use stock powder mixed in water)
    1 red capsicum /bell pepper finely sliced, pieces about 2 inches
    1tsp parsley chopped (I don’t bother with this)
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper
    1lb/500g raw green prawn meat, deveined
    ½tbl cornflour/starch mixed with 2tbl cold water

Heat the butter and oil in a medium saucepan and sauté the onion and garlic until tender
    Add the curry powder and chilli, stir over low heat for 3 minutes
    Add the chicken stock, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
    Add the capsicum/bell pepper, parsley, salt, pepper and cream and bring to boil.
    Add the prawns and cover and simmer until prawns turn pink.
    Thicken with the cornflour/starch.

I serve with hot basmati rice. And sometimes throw a bag of mixed frozen vegies in if I feel like it.
    Last edited by Lolabelle; 05-Sep-07 at 02:21. Reason: It came over funny from my computer, so I had to fix it.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

We tried Lolabelle's recipe last night and it was excellent - highly recommend you try it!

We also cooked Dry Spiced Potatoes with Cauliflower and Broccoli (Aloo Gobi) and it went really with the curried prawns - see new thread for recipe