Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Old South School

Default Old South School

Can anyone tell me which year "the old South School" ( Kinnaird Street/Macrae Street) closed and when the building was pulled down?

I'm not too sure when it closed, I remember playing 'hoosies' in the foundations for the new houses when I was about 8-10? My dad salvaged one of the pupils chairs before they were all tipped, and it still sits in his bedroom, although it's painted the most hideous green colour it's still in one piece.

Doh - which would have been about '70 - 72

Default Sooth school

They began to dismantle the school in 1964.

SD

Your right SD, thought about what I had written last night, and realised I must have been way younger than 10, probably nearer 5!! Must be old age playing tricks with my mind. Asked my dad this morning and he said it was early '60s.

Default Old South School

I started school at the old South School in 1955. I then went to the old Pulteneytown Academy (Assembly Rooms) for Primary 2 and then back to the South School for Primary 3. It was then back to the old Academy for Primary 4 & 5 it was during Primary 5 (1960) that we moved to the new Pulteneytown Academy in Seaforth Avenue, this heralded the closure of the old South School. As I recall it lay empty for a few years and if I remember correctly the Wick Players used to store their props/costumes there. I agree with the last post which suggests that it was demolished around 1964.