Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Problems getting broadband on Exchange Activate in Caithness

Default Problems getting broadband on Exchange Activate in Caithness

Hello there

I've been trying to get broadband setup in my new house, but after 8 weeks and I don't know how many phone calls, Orange have said they can't set it up because either the exchange was too slow, or it was full.

I phoned BT and they said there was no problems with the exchange, and I would definately be able to receive 8MB broadband, however as I didn't believe the guy on the phone (even though he insisted he was right) I checked my number on the btwholesale website. This what it says:

"Exchange LYTH

Your exchange has 512Kbps ADSL broadband service. Our initial test indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to receive 512Kbps broadband service due to the very long length of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service."

After a bit more investigation it turns out that the exchange is an Exchange Activate type (of which there are 148 in Scotland). Does anyone know where I can find out a list of ISP's that will provide broadband on this type of exchange? I've tried looking everywhere. The Scottish Executive site says a list is provided on the Bt.com/broadband site which I can't find, and I can't seem to speak to anyway from BT to help me. All BT want to do is keep me on hold for hours, then they try and sell me broadband for £25 a month which might not even work!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Den

Your best bet is BT. Very few ISP's provide service on the exchange activate sites. If BT can't get you sorted I am afraid no one can.

What distance are you from the exchange? For 512kbits/s you need to be within about 6km of the exchange (length of line, not as the crow flies). You may well get a lower speed connection 256kbits/s or 384kbits/s out as far as possibly 10km, but no guarantees, it all depends on the line qulaity when you are pushing the extremes. Unfortunately much of rural Scotlands phone network has cables with quite a high proportion of aluminium in them which does have a negative impact on transmission performance.

If I were you I would go with BT and see what happens. Other options are ISDN2e, or satellite, but both will cost you more, and ISDN is not as quick.

You may also wish to register here:
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Pe...tland/Register
    Last edited by NickInTheNorth; 05-Sep-07 at 11:22.

Default Me Too

I also had this problem when i was trying to connect via Sky. I was told that the exchange was full and BY would no longer accept any further connections.

However after phoning and ordering my bB from BT i had no problems whatsoever.!

Thanks for the advise guys. The problem I have with going with BT is:
    1. They insist the broadband they offer will definately work at 8mb on my line even though it's obvious it won't.
    2. It's expensive, eg. Plusnet BB only £10 a month vs Bt at £25 Option 3.

I'll have to double check but I'm pretty sure I'm only 2 or 3 km from the exchange...

Does anyone know if there are any sites out there that offer a list of ISP's using Exchange activate sites, as I can't seem to find one. According to the Scottish exec website:

"In conjunction with BT, the Executive undertook activity to raise awareness and understanding of Exchange Activate - and this has been achieved, with at least five ISPs now serving on all Exchange Activate exchanges..."

So surely I have a choice other than BT?

Any advise greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    Den

Hi

I have worked for three different IT desks supporting Broadband since it started with connnections of 256kbps up to the (up to) 8 meg at the moment and unfortunately its all about demand and if not enough people request Broadband in your area then BT wont get off their ass and upgrade the exchange to allow you to connect to ADSL.

I would keep trying and trying...............thats all I can suggest.

There are some circumstances where if local businesses complained that without Broadband they are missing out on valuable business then they can put a case forward to your local MP / MSP to try and do something or The Scottish Executive as someone suggested above.

There is a also some useful information and a forum where people in remote areas may be having the same problems as you. see - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/...a_problem.html

Good luck
    Last edited by Brizer2k7; 05-Sep-07 at 17:53.
    Regards

Brian Mackay
    www.caithnessfootie.co.uk

BT do not supply "Up to 8mg" on Lyth exchange but only 512k. If you are only 2-3 km away from the exch you should be ok with this though. Lyth exch is approx 1/2 mile up the road to alterwall from Hastigrow.

As far as I'm aware no ISP can guarantee 8mb - they all say 'Up to 8mb', also from this site BTs Option 1 price plan comes in at £17.99 per month after the initial '£8.95 per month for the first 6 months' offer. So, over the term of that 18 month contract you're actually averaging out at £14.98.

After you've had Broadband for a while (i.e. after BT have made sure that your line is physically capable of it) then you may find yourself able to switch to a cheaper provider.

Thanks for the input. I'll check out the BT Option 1. I didn't realise this was available with a free router, as the guy on the phone from BT said there was a £99 equipment charge (which is why I discounted it).

I'm still a bit annoyed with BT, that they would rather sell me a product, rather than give me honest advise or all the options. The guy actually guaranteed that it would work at 8meg on this exchange, even after I told him that I was sure the exchange only supported up to 512k!!!

I'll see if I can find out anything more on alternative ISP's and if I do I'll post here.

PS. thanks for the link on complaining to your ISP, might use that to get a refund from Orange for the last 2 months...

Den

Skerries Guest

Try AOL and Tiscali.

If it's for a business, speak to Keith Muir at CASE. He is clued up on what's available and what future exchange plans are.

If you have no joy, you could try a Vodafone USB modem (PC and Mac) or some mobile phone providers do data cards that plug into your PC and work through your mobile phone or a wireless router. They send signals back and forth to the nearest phone mast. It is slower than broadband though, but faster than dial-up. The speed depends on the strength of signal at your house.

Good luck!

Hi

I used to live in lyth and used Supanet for about 2 years on broadband with no problems. Connection speed was about 1/2 mb and I was about 4 miles from the exchange. Hope this helps.

On a different tack, I've moved to Canisbay and have been told by BT that I cannot get a broadband service on this exchange as all the broadband ports are in use and that I should try again in 3 or 4 months. Anyone any advice on how I can persuade BT to get their finger out!!!! Very frustrating that now that broadband is so common that BT can't be bothered to supply a decent consistent service.

I'm on Gillock which got broadband about the same time as Lyth, when we only had the choice of BT or Scotnet. I went for BT as it was cheaper but it took me 6 months to get the connection sorted and a local engineer told me it won't ever be faster than 512 until the exchange is updated (don't hold your breath). In theory we can now use other ISPs but in practice it's probably safer to stick with BT.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You could try AOL (not that I'm recommending them, exactly). They are bigger than BT and if THEY say it'll be 8mb then BT usually pull their finger out and do as they're told to (by AOL).

I'm not with them but was told the same 512kbps thing but did a trial period with AOL which was fine (and fast) but they don't have a usenet server any more which was no use to me, and now I'm getting 8.3mbps and higher ocasionally (on Virgin).

It may be another option to BT, and if you go for the right deal you can get a free laptop.
    Lives of great men all remind us, we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us, footprints on the sands of time.
    Henry Wadsworth Longfellow