Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Guitar lesson's

Default Guitar lesson's

Could anyone recommend a good course for learning the guitar, there are so many of them available on the net it's confusing to know which one's are any good.
    Scottish by birth, British by law,Highlander by the grace of God.

Don't waste your cash paying for any of these online resources, there's plenty of free information out there on the worldwidewundaweb.

It all depends on what level you are at. Some of the beginner's lessons can be daunting - even instructions for tuning the guitar can be extremely confusing, for instance. The terminology used can be intimidating as well.

The best way for a beginner to learn is from seeing someone do it, and then doing it themselves.

If you have a friend who plays (or even knows how to tune the damn thing properly) then it'd be a good idea to get them round and show you how to set your guitar up (and show you a few chords while they're at it).

If you can already do that proficiently, then all you need is chord diagrams and your lugs! Take it all slowly though. Running before you walk will have you tripping up quickly, and no-one wants you to lose interest!
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Thanks for the advice i shall have a browse and see what i come up with. Can you recommend a good site?
    I don't know anyone who plays and i work away a lot, that's why i thought some books/DVD's would be good to idle away the hours when not working.

Default Guitar lessons

Try this site, I teach guitar now and again and it's quite helpful.
    There are so many sites available it's mind boggling. Use Google to do a search and try a few.
    Cheers

http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/guit..._beginner.html

As with all things in life it depends how serious your are and how much time you can commit to the pursuit. If you are a pure novoice then i`d recommend going to the Fenders Players Club website as it will teach you the pure fundamentals (ie tuning, open position chords).

I would also suggest that you learn to read tablature as quickly as possible as it will open your eyes to many different styles and avenues.

In terms of equipment a metronome is vital for keeping time, a good quality guitar (Fender,Gibson,Taylor,Martin) is imperative as the money spent on a cheap plank (Epiphone,Marlin Slammer,Yahama et al) is just not worth it long term.

Consider a good quality amp (Mesa-boogie) as the better you get the more payback you will get from good quality equipment.

Good luck its worth it

thanks for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebus_Apollo View Post
    In terms of equipment a metronome is vital for keeping time, a good quality guitar (Fender,Gibson,Taylor,Martin) is imperative as the money spent on a cheap plank (Epiphone,Marlin Slammer,Yahama et al) is just not worth it long term.

Consider a good quality amp (Mesa-boogie) as the better you get the more payback you will get from good quality equipment.
    What sort of guitar playing has inspired you to pick up the axe?

While there is no doubt a decent guitar and amp are a good starting point, they needn't cost the earth.

You can pick up a very nice old Squier Strat for £100 and a decent practise amp for £50.

Epiphone actually made some very nice guitars, some better than the Gibson equivalents, that is why Gibson bought them out! John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison seemed to have done quite well on them. Of course now Gibson are using Epiphone as one of their 'cheap options' but there are still some very worthy guitars to be had in that line, and there are plenty professional players out there using them to gig.

Likewise Yamaha produced some of the best guitars ever made, both acoustic and electric. Good enough for the likes of Carlos Santana and Oscar Jordan. They make everything from extremely expensive hand made to production line cheapies, with some very fine guitars in between.

Don't feel you are hamstrung by the gear you buy because it did not require a second mortgage!

It really depends on the sound you are after, but you don't need to invest a thousand quid to get going.

You most likely have a decent PC, no?

Invest in a good sound card and you can use your PC as a pretty useable effects and recording device; allowing you to approximate the sounds of most of the people you might be into.

Pick up a cheap classical guitar for carrying around and learn to read music too, you will broaden your understanding of music in general and get a context for what you are doing.

Best advice I have seen here is to get together with other players.

There is a wealth of guitar talent in the North, and due to the relatively poor live music 'circuit' they have a lot more time than they should to help!

Can you get a loan of a guitar and amp meanwhile?