Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jazz is a horrible noise

Default I hate jazz

I must say that is the type of thing I wouldn't mind listening to - in an ELEVATOR!
    About the most you can say in its favor is that it is probably not eroding anybody's moral values.
    Unlike....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVtWXtSKJ9I
    Richard Sutherland

rock on jazz

And to think that I used to consider you an intelligent intellectual who was worthy of envy and respect. Ah, Ritchie, where did you go wrong?
    In the image of God? You must be joking!

karia Guest

Hi Rich,

Stan Getz just e-mailed me and suggested that you are an awful fibber!

please don't make me publish the evidence!

Karia

To be honest I haven't really listened to a lot of Jazz, but what I have - some I like, some I don't..........bit like everything really..........Miles Davis is pretty cool though.
    'Cause if my eyes don't deceive me,
    There's something going wrong around here

Must say I liked Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk and those of that era, but the George Mellys of the world of Jazz leave me cold
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    Must say I liked Kenny Ball and Acker Bilk and those of that era, but the George Mellys of the world of Jazz leave me cold
    George melly is sadly that now Golach...cold and dead!

But he was a man whose heart fair 'thundered' with the joy of it all and who 'really lived' his extraordinary life.

an amazing man...much missed!!

karia
    Last edited by karia; 31-Aug-07 at 20:06. Reason: Extra emotion caught and held me!

Quote Originally Posted by karia View Post
    George melly is sadly that now Golach...cold and dead!

But he was a man whose heart fair 'thundered' with the joy of it all and who 'really lived' his extraordinary life.

an amazing man...much missed

karia
    I know he is gone, but not missed by me, I would not call him an amazing man, his personal way of life was not mine.
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

Quote Originally Posted by Flyermonkey View Post

Its a shame to dismiss the whole genre when there is more than a hundred years worth of Jazz and jazz influenced music to listen to and try. From funk (Stevie Wonder / James Brown / so much 70's and onwards) to soul (Marvin Gaye / AL Green and so on) to pop (Amy Winehouse / Joss Stone etc) to house & dance (St Germain / Faithless / Massive Attack etc) and hip-hop (loads sample from Blue Note's Recordings). A listen to Radio 1 or Radio 2 on any day will give you numerous heavily jazz influenced records....
    I don't like traditional (or what I think of as traditional), or sammy davis, jazz.
    But I like the use of the idea in rythmn and blues and just blues. But as for the lack of rythmn and any sense at all, I'm with you on this one Rich.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

karia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by golach View Post
    I know he is gone, but not missed by me, I would not call him an amazing man, his personal way of life was not mine.
    I totally agree golach..not mine either..but I can admire someone who takes life by the heels and lives it 150% by whatever tenet they find fitting...so many of us will simply 'pass along' life's highway..without so much as a tyre mark!

karia

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    I'm delighted to hear there's other Loussier fans out there - here's one of my favourites:- Choral - Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolabelle View Post
    I don't like traditional (or what I think of as traditional), or sammy davis, jazz.
    But I like the use of the idea in rythmn and blues and just blues. But as for the lack of rythmn and any sense at all, I'm with you on this one Rich.
    Adding to my comment above;
    This peice that you have directed us to Bobinovich is lovely, but it has a melody! There isn't any melody in some of the stuff, and they are just "jazzing up" someone elses already written music.
    But I really like the way Roger Miller used it and the doop, doop diddly thingo's in his County/Pop music in the 60's. His roots were in jazz, but he did something good with it!
    Last edited by Lolabelle; 31-Aug-07 at 21:51. Reason: additions
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    If you don't believe me just listen to this awful sound of a man who clearly does not know how to play the Piano. Yes, it is the spherical Mr. Monk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhP1RgbrrY
    He aint so bad for a jazz pianist.

Prefer a decent barrelhouser any day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMTG_...elated&search=

Jazz is a very broad genre, there is a lot of it that is just plain showing off too me to the point where music is lost and big heads take over. But I like a lot of Jazz from Glen Miller to Pat Metheny and also Billie Holiday and one of my favourite performers is Dave Brubeck, absolutely class!!

Default I love jazz

Turns up The Basie, throws in some Ellington and Ella,adds a quick burst from Satchmo whey hey the house is rocking.

Naw, cant say im to stuck on jazz or blues for that matter.
    But different strokes for different folks i suppose.

I've never considered any particular type of music as being either good or bad from the enjoyment perspective. I've always found that there are bits of music I ilke and parts that I can't stand in all the different sorts.
    Heck, I even managed to find parts of "Punk" that I liked and believe me, most of that, certainly at the beginning, deliberately set out to be an horrific racket. Certain Record Producers seemed to be of the opinion that the more incompetent a musician you were the better it was, and whatever you did don’t ever sing in tune. That idea, fortunately, soon wore off.
    Animals I like, people I tolerate.

No, no. There are lots of different styles of jazz out there and they do differ. Personally I like New Orleans jazz and Trad jazz. Some of the others leave me cold.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

each to there own...to you its a horrible noise...to me ....great!..if we were all the same ..the world would be a boring place!

Fond memorys of Kenny Ball an Acker Bilk playing in Aylesbury in the 60's..fabulous

Over the pond, but not quite over the hill yet

I've pretty much always liked Jazz, in its various forms. For the past few years I've gravitated more towards Smooth Jazz and Urban Jazz. Some of my favourite performers are Spyro Gyra, The Rippingtons, Paul Hardcastle, Acoustic Alchemy and Hiroshima, to name just a few. My husband and I were lucky enough to have front row seats at a Spyro Gyra concert last December. In our opinion, they're even better live than on CD!

My fave saxophonists include Kenny G, Boney James, Dave Koz, Marion Meadows and Paul Taylor. Guitarists - Marc Antoine, George Benson, Earl Klugh and Peter White. Trumpeters - Chris Botti and Rick Braun. Vocalists - Bobby Caldwell, Harry Connick Jr., Astrud Gilberto, Diana Krall, Jane Monheit and Sade.
    I am living for today, always remembering yesterday, and looking forward to tomorrow!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast