Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Jazz is a horrible noise

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jazz is a horrible noise

I can't understand why anyone would want to listen to this mixed up, tuneless drivel called jazz. The only mildly amusing thing about it is the weird names the muisicians have, like Thelonious Monk. What was his mother thinking of! Or calling a kid Dizzy?
    Richard Sutherland

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    I can't understand why anyone would want to listen to this mixed up, tuneless drivel called jazz. The only mildly amusing thing about it is the weird names the muisicians have, like Thelonious Monk. What was his mother thinking of! Or calling a kid Dizzy?
    Agree with the comments about Jazz. Not sure about the names argument though. His Mum probably though Richard and Rich pretty awful or maybe you prefer to be called Dick.

Default jazz is a horrible noise

It gets worse. His full name is THELONIUS SPHERE MONK. I guess his mother didn't want him to be a square.
    Richard Sutherland

It gets worse. His full name is THELONIUS SPHERE MONK. I guess his mother didn't want him to be a square.
    But your Mum did want you to be a Dick!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cattach View Post
    But your Mum did want you to be a Dick!!
    Looks like she got her wish then.
    Don't wrestle with pigs, you just get all dirty and the pig enjoys it.

karia Guest

Oh no..I cannot agree with the anti-jazz brigade.

I was brought up in a house where lots of jazz was played and appreciated.
    I consider it one of life's finest pleasures!

Schmoozy,sexy,soul- stirring, wonderful sounds..IMO!

Karia

Cattach you are so cool! Perhaps you could explain jazz to me.
    Richard Sutherland

Like many other musical forms, jazz has many forms. I love jazz-rock and jazzy ballads, but don't like mainstream jazz, cleo laine being my worst nightmare! I would say Sade is a jazz singer and she is worlds away.

Likewise Jacques Loussier's jazz interpretation of some of Bach's classics are sublime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Likewise Jacques Loussier's jazz interpretation of some of Bach's classics are sublime.
    Air on a G string played Wed night!
    Quite agree

I would agree with both Orkneylass and davem, Jazz can sometimes be difficult to get into or listen to (Sun Rah, seeing as we are on great names) and can sometimes be complete rubbish, or indeed 'easy listening' nonsense. But, like most musical genres, there is some really good wheat in there with the chaff. I defy anyone to listen to Nina Simone (almost anything), John Coltrane's 'Blue Train', Miles Davis' 'Kind Of Blue', Herbie Hancock 'Headhunters' and not get a tingle down the spine...

Its a shame to dismiss the whole genre when there is more than a hundred years worth of Jazz and jazz influenced music to listen to and try. From funk (Stevie Wonder / James Brown / so much 70's and onwards) to soul (Marvin Gaye / AL Green and so on) to pop (Amy Winehouse / Joss Stone etc) to house & dance (St Germain / Faithless / Massive Attack etc) and hip-hop (loads sample from Blue Note's Recordings). A listen to Radio 1 or Radio 2 on any day will give you numerous heavily jazz influenced records....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    Prefer jazz mags myself, but you're right - Loussier was amazing.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/feat...?id=1200852007

If you don't believe me just listen to this awful sound of a man who clearly does not know how to play the Piano. Yes, it is the spherical Mr. Monk.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhP1RgbrrY
    Richard Sutherland

Default In defence of Jazz - not that it needs it

Lots of people think Jazz is not something to enjoy. Thats because what people remember is those few tunes that are hard to take in.
    I personally can't see what people get out of the stuff they thrash out at Skins each night, far less the attraction people have for country music but I do respect the fact that people are all different.
    I do the Jazz show on a wednesday on CFM 10 - 12, - and so many people say exactly as you do, but they like Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell and so many jazzy singers; Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald sang Jazz - I defy anyone to say that is without a tune.
    So although I do play the odd track that you may find over complicated most of it I make a particular effort to keep easy to listen to (and thats what I like)....... the other night I started with the old Guinness ad tune from the 90's,; Ad agencies won't use all the Jazz they do without people in general liking it.
    So like classical music, some modern, avant garde stuff is hard to enjoy and you need to be a Jazz enthusiast to get it, most of it however is mainstream, enjoyable and the foundation (along with blues) that most of popular music is built on.
    So dislike whatever you like thats fine, what is sad is that all of jazz is tarred with the same brush - you probably do like some!
    I speak as someone without beard and wooly jumper who only says NICE rarely.
    Dave

rich, I had to read your words twice. Are you sure it was "jazz" you were refering to as drivel? That is so just not you!

I had a fabulous night of jazz this week. While one of our fellow orgers rocked to the metalic sounds of some "Sad" band here in this beautiful city, I enjoyed the music of a delightful group in our local establishment for evening gathering.

On an entirely different musical front, I was part of Edinburgh's welcome to Abba Mania yesterday. It was fine, but I might be converting toward the jazz side of things.

Default Skibbidy Dipdat Doo, Ooh Yea!

This thread started by one brave chap lambasting the meanderings of Jazz, it's now the jazz appreciation club, what a highjack. It's hard to get a handle on the thing, but I think this sums it up.
    Whats the difference between a blue's guitarist, and a jazz guitarist,,,,well a blue's guitarist plays three cords to three hundred people, and-------------

On another note, of sorts, has anyone had much experience listening to Zydeco music? It's not a Brazilian footballer; it's one of the most boring, repetitive forms of music I've ever heard. Went to hear a gadge called CJ Chenier (his dad was the King of Zydeco) at the Edinburgh jazz festival this year and EVERY song was a variant of the same 12-bar-blues formula.

Back to the jazz... I advise checking out some of the more interesting contemporary young jazz performers today, who hail from Sweden. A lot of them came over to Scotland a few months ago to join up with our own jazzers, and I was very impressed by all of them, in particular female drummer, Martina Almgren. Check her out on myspace, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by fingalmacool View Post
    This thread started by one brave chap lambasting the meanderings of Jazz, it's now the jazz appreciation club, what a highjack. It's hard to get a handle on the thing, but I think this sums it up.
    Whats the difference between a blue's guitarist, and a jazz guitarist,,,,well a blue's guitarist plays three cords to three hundred people, and-------------
    So if too many people disagree its a hijack! not the first poster being in the minority? I usually do keep my thoughts to myself unless pushed, statements like "jazz is ....." need answering simply because so many people think jazz is just the off the wall stuff they don't like, when in reality lots of jazz is very accessible, they do like jazz already and will like more.
    Last edited by davem; 09-Sep-07 at 18:05. Reason: spelling and punctuation!

Talking

i personally love jazz.

patricia barber is fantasmigorical.

yeah one more time....fantasmigorical.