Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "no war" sign

jjc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by abewsed
    In the past I don’t seem to remember ANY government asking the people, or having a vote, as to whether we go to war or not! It is up to the “elected” Government as to when we go to war. Napoleonic War, Crimean War, Indian Mutiny, Sudan, Boer War, WWI, WWII, Borneo, Malaya, Korea (UN), Falklands, Gulf etc. Not one of those conflicts, were Joe Public asked about whether we should go to war or not.
    You are correct. In the past wars have been declared by governments and announced to the people. This time it is different. Not because the people demand to be consulted before war is waged, but because the governments of the US and the UK seem to have decided that we needed to be convinced.

Now that strikes me as a little odd. Previously the reasons for war have been clear cut, indisputable, iron-clad. Argentina invades the Falklands - war. Iraq invades Kuwait - war.

This time? We have been trickle fed enough information by our respective governments to make us hungry for more. We are not stupid people (on the whole) and we have digested and, in the main, rejected the information we have been given so far.

I believe that any war is a tragedy, but I am not anti-war. If needs must, then so be it. But my government has given me advance notice of this conflict and has tried to convince me it is required. Why is it required?

To overthrow an evil dictator? I'm not convinced. If it were that simple then why the rush? He has been an evil dictator for a great many years. He has killed a great many people and, yes, he has used abhorant weapons to do so. But why now? We still have Afghanistan to clean up (that's not over yet). North Korea are threatening world peace. Pakistan and India are on the brink of war. Palestine and Israel are in a perpetual state of conflict. Why is Saddam suddenly such a threat to world peace? He certainly has no immediate threat, in terms of direct assault, to either the UK or the US.

He has weapons of mass destruction? Not according to Hans Blix. According to his report the weapons inspectors could find no evidence of those weapons. True, they could find no evidence that the known weapons had been destroyed, but surely that just strengthens the case for more time to be given to the inspectors?

He has links with terrorist groups such as Al-Qaeda? Not proven. The US intelligence report given to the world as proof showed some very tenuous links that could not be proven and were, in the main, assumed.

He is killing his own people? Can't argue with this one. It's true, and it's a disgrace. But why the sudden realisation? He has been killing his own people for decades. What is the reason for the sudden interest?

---

As I've said, I have no strong anti-war feelings. But please, please, please can't somebody come forwards and tell us why? And not some wishy-washy reason that the government feels we will accept. I want the truth.

At the moment I am being left to draw my own conclusions. I am left with the feeling that this is a campaign led by Bush that is doing him the world of good in his ratings back in the US (especially since his shockingly close election victory). I am left with the feeling that we are going along with the US simply because Tony Blair thinks we should suck up to them. I am sure there is more to it than that, and I want to know what. It's not an unreasonable request, after all the government whet my appetite in the first place...

As for the behaviour of the US in this row... it's just shocking. The UN and NATO are built on the fundamental ability to debate, yet in this case the US is saying agree or be damned. We have Donald Rumsfeld calling France and Germany "old Europe" and comparing Germany to Libya or Cuba. Even more shocking is the US press attack on France, printing pictures of WWII graves with shocking headlines calling for France to be more appreciative of their sacrifice - as if they single-handedly won the war and freed the rest of the world. Yes, they did great things. But we were all involved in that war against a common enemy in harrowing times. How dare the US now hold up an IOU from such a situation and attempt to cash it?

We even have the US government threatening sanctions against any country which does not toe the party line. Seriously? That's bordering on dictatorial, and that frightens me.

Oh, and Rachelle!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rachelle
    HEY!!! I HAVE AN IDEA!!!! ITS THE FINGERS CROSSED IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have another idea.... it's the best one yet. Let's have a pre-emptive strike against Iraq. Iraq may just develop nuclear weapons and use them against the west, so lets bomb them now, just in case.

Ooops. India have just launched a pre-emptive strike against Pakistan because both countries have nuclear weapons and thought the other might attack. Can we do anything about it? Oh. No. Guess we can't. We did the same thing to Iraq, didn't we. Ah well, let them fight it out.

And what's this? North Korea have launched an attack on South Korea. Now what? Ah. Nothing. We lost the moral high-ground there too.

If you take the time to actually read the posts by those of us questioning this war, you will find that we aren't suggesting crossing any fingers. We have a UN mandate against Iraq at the moment which calls for disarmament of weapons of mass destruction, prohibits the research and development of nuclear weapons, and allows for weapons inspectors to ascertain that the mandate is being followed. What we are suggesting (on the whole) is that we allow these people to do their jobs. They have reported no evidence of nuclear armament ("We have to date found no evidence of ongoing prohibited nuclear or nuclear related activities in Iraq. However, as I have just indicated, a number of issues are still under investigation and we are not yet in a position to reach a conclusion", Mohamed ElBaradei) and can find no evidence of weapons of mass destruction (or lack thereof).

It's possible that the government has a smoking gun, proof beyond doubt that Iraq should be invaded. Rather than crossing your fingers, burying your head in the sand, and hoping that this is the case, how about you look around you and decide for yourself if the evidence you have been presented with is enough to convince you. If it is, then that is fine. But please, please don't bring an important debate to the level of:

Quote Originally Posted by rachelle
    P.S. Its shocking how the lives of so many young Americans have been lost so you can post such rubbish............
    It is true. So many young Americans have been killed in conflicts all around the world. As have French, British, Russian, Iraqi, Israeli, German, I could go on and on. The difference between one life lost in conflict and another is slight. It is the side of the fight it was lost on. It is the belief the life was lost for. Are you able to determine, for the entire world, which belief is just and which is not? Are you able to tell me that the American people have never entered a conflict, good intentions or not, for the wrong reasons?

The ongoing crisis with Iraq is being seen by many Muslims the world over as a war against their religion. My greatest fear, if we invade Iraq, is an increase in religious bigotry and hatred from both sides leading to the Jihad many terrorist groups have been calling for.

Rachelle, and many others, may scoff at the idea of giving peace a chance. It's not so much peace that I want to give a chance to, it's the weapons inspectors who could so easily prove vital in keeping that peace.

Anonymous Guest

jjc,
    You are right in the past the Governments have had a clear-cut enemy, including the Gulf War. Terrorism is not a clear-cut enemy; he/she can be staying in your own country as with N Ireland, or in Libya, the old USSR, and E Germany etc. How do you declare war on terrorism? The again when was the last time the US has had 4,000 killed in one day? I don’t know about the US, but the UK’s never had 4,000 killed in one day since WWI.
    This might be why they are trying to sell the war to the people. It is not a simple thing as, “the enemy is over there, go get them.” It was easy in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. The enemy wore Red as in communism. We were united in Europe (excluding France as they were not part of NATO) as to who our enemy was. Sadly, as the Iron Curtain came down a new and real threat emerged. The new threat is called terrorism by the governments. But the reality is this…
    We have surplus weapons, which was supposed to be used to stop a Soviet attack on Western Europe. And vice-versa for the ex-USSR countries. Where are the surplus weapons going? Not in the skips. They are being sold to the highest bidders. Again money is involved. So now we have (so called) poor or third world countries buying state of the art weapons. There was a threat of a missile being fired on aircraft. I just wonder if the weapon were used, whether it would be made in the USA, i.e. a Stinger Missile. They were supplied to the Afghans (and other countries) to shoot down Soviet aircraft. Once the Soviets left Afghan, the CIA were sent in to collect the ones not used. The Afghans decided to keep them. So the US said that the missiles would be useless now as they would be old. Ha ha, the Afghans still have weapons that work that are from the 1940’s. There was also a serious threat that the IRA had them!
    To keep it simple, there is now an abundance of ex-Cold War weapons handed out across the world. Mainly coming from the ex-USSR counties that are strapped for cash. Then if we look at the weapons being sold, it is not just rifles, machine-guns etc, it is (suspected) that weapons of mass destruction. The Iranians now have a missile that can hit Isreal, where did they get that technology? Also it is worrying that they might have a few nuclear warheads just for fun. So put the two together and they have a LONG RANGE NUCLEAR MISSILE. Are we (UK) worried? No! But the Isrealies are!

I suspect there is more to this proposed war. What it is, I don’t know. But every Government since the last war, has been suspicious of Saddam. The little trickles of information, from defectors and weapons inspectors, have indicated that he is still in the weapons of mass destruction race. Whether it is in Iraq or some other country.

I think the question for the link between Al-Qaeda and Iraq is a definite yes. And if not directly, indirectly. As he has been supplying money to known terrorist, up to Sept 11. But then again so was Libya, but they shut down their training camps very fast! In fact, Libya is very quiet these days, which is good news. Lockerbie, proved that they are associated with terrorists. So another way to look at this, is why is the UK not wanting to attack Libya?

As to Saddam killing his own people and the SUDDEN INTEREST. The interest has always been there. But since 1992, the UN wont allows anything to be done about it. There was a serious plan to go and attack Iraq again in 1994, but the UN were against it.

Lets be honest about Germany they do not have a good track record, where wars are concerned. France turns with the tide. “I” believe they are out for themselves, with the aim of stopping the war in the Gulf and then being seen as the Big Brother of the New Europe. Don’t get caught by their sudden interest in peace. Any other European Country, but not France. Getting on to France and WW2, only 2% of their country were in the Resistance! When the Allies invaded North Africa in Nov 1942 (Morocco and Algeria), who were they fighting? No the Germans initially! Then before that the Australians and British attacked Lebanon. It was the job of the 11th (Scottish) Commando who attacked a bridge which was held by the Vichy French. Did the French lay down their weapons and welcome their fellow brothers with open arms? No! It cost William Campbell from Janetstown his life, including 125 other “Scots”. Were any of them killed by Germans? No, all by Frenchmen over two days.
    Then worse, as accounted by Caithness soldiers. After the 51st Highland Division surrendered to the Germans at St Valery, they were marched to POW Camps in Poland. On their way they were allowed to stop at village wells and drink water. But most of the French towns refused the Scots a drink, but the other countries (including Germany) allowed them access to the wells. This sums up the French, in my eyes!

You joke about India and Pakistan! But do you realise that there is now a greater chance of a nuclear attack, than there was during the Cold War! Now that is something to think about! But it is ok; it is in the Far East. This again this is another area where the UN is failing in its so-called job!

When Tony said that N Korea was next on the list, he must have been eating magic mushrooms! If any country (other than China) attacks N Korea, then Seoul disappears! Tokyo might as well. With Korea it is not a case of preventing them from getting a nuclear weapon. It is that they defiantly have THEM (number unknown). If the US attacks them and China stays out of a war, then N Korea is goosed. So their only defence is to Nuke Seoul and then threaten to Nuke some other place. Korea needs to be handled with kid gloves!! Not by another nutter!!

In the past the UN weapons inspectors have been in and out of Iraq like yo-yo’s. The reasons? Not being allowed access to suspected sites. Or worse, just kicked out. Now (playing Devils Advocate) why did the weapons inspectors put complaints in against Iraq? It was because they suspected weapons of mass destruction were being hidden or being researched or built. Not because they liked the scenery.
    Suddenly they can’t find anything. Oh, but then again, they did not let the weapons inspector into Iraq immediately after Sept 11, when the US wanted them in! Could it be a possibility that they have had time to hide evidence? So do we look forward to another ten years of wondering whether Saddam has the BIG weapons or not. Then one day we wake up and find out the UN was wrong. The problem is that it is not N Ireland that we are dealing with. It is not a few pounds of explosives. There is a possibility of a lot more. But then again the UN can always say, “Sorry we were wrong”.

If and a BIG IF. If Saddam had gone by the book after 1992, would we be where we are now? No! Would the US and UK be looking at spending billions on a mobilisation of the military, or would they be spending the money of the NHS etc and furthering a political career? The problem is not Iraq; it is Saddam, if he had the decency to die of a heart attack today, would there be a war? Possibly not. If Blair or Bush died today, would it make a difference to a war? I doubt it. Who is the problem?

We can sit here and debate the in’s and out’s of a war. But we don’t have the whole picture. I agree we have been fed bits and pieces, just to wet our lips. If Tony is lying to us, he will be found out! So why lie? Why is there not a stronger opposition being laid down by the House of Commons or House of Lords? Are they getting information that we are not?

If it is evidence we are looking for. Then I would say the last 10 years is enough to remove Saddam. He is a butcher to his own people and Kurds. He is a threat to future peace in the Middle East. He is an influence to other possible hostile nations. He has supplied funds to terrorist organisations. He is suspected of being behind culturing biological agents in Somalia. He still has Scud Missiles hidden (ops, sorry we were not supposed to mention that, as it seems to have been forgotten, but then again they are old). It is not a case of a smoking gun; it is a case of a loaded gun. It now is a case of why are we really going to attack Iraq, and without the support of the UN.

There is no right or wrong in war! War is not that easy. Is any war justified? Would it help to negotiate peace first? Yes. But then there comes a time to say enough is enough. 10 years later and we are still going over the same story. Has he weapons or not? I would say the UN has had enough time to find out FOR DEFINATE! Not a maybe!

You are right in “The ongoing crisis with Iraq is being seen by many Muslims the world over as a war against their religion. My greatest fear, if we invade Iraq, is an increase in religious bigotry and hatred from both sides leading to the Jihad many terrorist groups have been calling for.”
    This is a real fear, but why has it come to this? Not because of Bush or Blair, as they were not around in 1992, they are more recent. Lets look at who has been there, the UN, Saddam and terrorism.

So if we did not have the “ever ending story of negotiation” of the UN. Who by the way, Saddam is looking at to prevent a war, and on his side. Then if the UN were not in the way, would Saddam run? The odds are that he would. He knows he could not stand up to the US alone. Where as now if there is a war it could escalate into a Middle East War, or worse an all out terrorist attack on the US and UK.
    I think “give peace a chance” has had ten years in which nothing has changed. Sorry but this is a fact. Israel, Saudi, Kuwait, Egypt, Jordan, Turkey etc, all see him as a dictator and a madman. But their religion is against helping the unclean (us) attacking a fellow brother (Saddam). It was ok in 1992, as Saddam had attacked a fellow brother.

If you want to give peace a chance, then don’t call on the UN, as everyone just ignores them. Not just the US and UK! They are now seen as a food supplier, not the military might they were set up to be. It could be that too many cooks spoil the broth.

Anonymous Guest

Default ..............OIL.........this war aint about OIL.

well mr fernie, no doubt your a wee bit young to remember the reasons behind the 10 year war with iran.at that time,iraq was the united states friend.iran was seen as a hard-line muslim state,death to america...etc.america armned the iraq,s on the side.500,000 iraq troops died in that war.its terrible when you have 2 prodomeniatley muslim countries fighting each other.then in 1988,saddam saw fit to gas 5000 iraqi kurds,for no apparent reason.then in 1990 he decides to invade kuwait,much to the disgust of his fellow arab states,saudi-arabia asked the americans to help,and the un.the forces mandate,was only to drive saddam out of kuwait.100,000 iraqi troops died in the gulf war.saudi-arabia and kuwait picked up the tab for the gulf war.here we are in 1993 considering going to war with iraq,im all for it.he is a dictator,as bad,or if not worse than pol-pot was.he rules his country with fear.saddams own 2 son in laws found that out very quickly,there both dead,murdered by saddams family.america and uk,are worlds 1st,and fourth richest economies respectivley..were self sufficent for oil here in uk,and america is 80% self sufficent for oil.i have no doubt saddam has been untruthfull with the un,why should i trust the words of a man,who has led to death,over 600,000 of his own people.....?????.ohhhh i almost forgot.....after the gulf war in 91,there was in uprising in the south of iraq,amongst the more moderate muslims,saddam reacted swiftly,killing 25,000 of his subjects.if ever there was a reason for going to war with iraq,then oil surely must be at the bottom of the list.i would call it...unfinished buisness,for the benefit of mankind.....!!!!!!!!!.i dont want to see innocents getting killed,but unfortunatley this will no doubt happen.but the wider picture is what we need to look at...a new leadership..a new iraq....dictatorships....always have a sell-by date on them,saddams is no different. m.bain ps..you may ask yourself,why should we go do our bit with the americans...well..its called repaying a debt.they saved our hides in ww2,and if they hadnt came along at the right time,then we would be speaking german by now.were only a small country,we need allies like america,population 260 million........!!!!!!!!!!...........wider picture people.......!!!!!!

Anonymous Guest

Saved our hides? People say this like the USA made a big difficult choice as to whether ot not to help us during WW2. The big desicion they made was what they were going to charge us for the help. They were "paid for" mercenaries and no argument will convince me otherwise.

The took money for the food, money for the guns, money for the planes, money for everything. What do you think lend/lease means????

And while we're on the subject of the BIG WEAPONS, who has ever used these things? hmmmmm? not a difficult one this? c'mon you know who it is...

Thats right folks it was the good ol US of Nuclear A and in the almost 60 years since no one else has ever done the same.

Saddam, mad though he may be, is probably not stupid enough to actually use a nuclear device, even against the USA. Why? because it would be goodbye Iraq, not just a few buildings and a few lives, but everything, all buildings, all people, the whole country.

And the North Koreans, they are just trying to get themselves on the same playing field that all the other nuclear powers are on. Bringing themselves up to a point where other countries HAVE to listen to them, just as we force others (by simple ownership of BIG WEAPONS) to listen to us. When everyone has Nuclear weapons they only have the meeting table left to use to sort anything out. Anything else will mean death and destruction for all.

Yes, I am too young to remember the Iran Iraq war, I'm also too young to remember WW2, WW1, the hundred year war, the boer war, the american war of independence, the vietnam war, the korean war, and this means what?

We live in a very different age now, the last ten years has seen the views of our populations become known to the world, the internet has given us all a voice which (as we see on these boards) allows us to put our own ideas across to everyone else. This is leading us to a time where we are no longer happy to just GIVE the power of our country to anyone, now that we have access to more information and can now we choose be more informed on the subjects of today, we dont want our leaders, the people we elected to represent our views, to fire off and do whatever they want because THEY see it as the right thing to do. We no longer see it as their place to make these kinds of decisions on our behalf. If this was not the case then why do we demonstrate against war.

All the reasons for Saddam being an evil tyrant or whatever you want to call him, all the reasons there might be for going to war with Iraq, all these things have nothing to do with the situation in the UK and the USA, we want the desicions made on such matters to reflect the desires of the populus, we see that the desicions are going against our wishes. I've yet to see a PRO-WAR demo, or a GO GET SADDAM demo, how come? Because even the pro-war camp see that they would be made a spectical of, that they would be shunned from normal society.

I'm sure the Iraq people would love to be rid of Saddam, but whats waiting for them when he's gone? A US-friendly dictator? A US-friendly government? Is that what THEY want? Mabee if they were offered an Iraqi Friendly Government they might be more inclined to overthrow their leader. As an ordinary Iraqi I think I would be equally as afraid of the new as I was the old. Just as unstable, just as insane, only bigger and richer. Remember, Iraq is only involved in the conflict in and around its borders, how many fronts are the US and UK forces fighting on? Offering to change one warmongering leader for the BIGGEST of them all, doesnt really seem like a good deal to me, its like saying we'll swap tony blair for george bush, what would be different?

I would agree that we need to look at the wider picture. But a new leadership in Iraq, continuing the "special relationship" between the UK and the US? These are not what make up the wider picture - these are pretty narrow in fact.

The wider picture will be the state of the world if the US and UK proceed with the reckless notion of going to war alone with Iraq. Let's be in no doubt that this would be interpreted as a war on Islam and would lead to a wider Middle East conflict which as we know would not stop there. This war could go on for years. No matter what the outcome, Western and Middle Eastern relations would take decades to recover to a reasonably peaceful state.

I agree with jjc that we would lose the moral high ground and would be unable to object to any pre-emptive strikes going on elsewhere in the world. Is this the kind of world we want to live in?

Lots of people are quoting history as grounds for going to war now. I would agree that we should learn from history, and take account of it, but we surely can't be led by it. Saddam Hussein's actions prior to the Gulf War shouldn't be used as the sole grounds for going to war now.

Surely we must proceed with caution, and consider the future world we will inflict upon ourselves if we react foolishly.

A lot of negotiation went into getting the weapons inspectors back into Iraq. Can't we allow them the chance to give us proof one way or the other? Why put in all that work just to pull them back out after a few weeks?

I also don't think this is just about oil. It's about something alright, and I'm sure there is a great deal we are not being told, but so far we've not been given enough evidence to shift public opinion in favour of war. I want to know why our country is driving down the agressive route - we deserve to know why. Why also do we have to do it now? Saddam's regime has been in place for many, many years, so why are the US/UK governments so keen to attack right now?

Some of you seem to trust our government to do what's right, and so will yourselves to believe that they have sufficient evidence that they're not telling us about (I pray that surely nobody is thinking that the evidence we've been given is sufficient grounds for war?!).

I won't just trust them. We absolutely have not been presented with enough evidence of links between Iraq and Al-Qaeda. For all we know the US is heading down the route towards war for the sake of Dubya's ego. And we're being dragged along too because Tony Blair made his "stand shoulder to shoulder with the US" speech after 9/11 and now there is no way of backing down. These are not grounds for a war! If there are reasonable grounds, let them prove it!

Until then, let us think carefully about what we are doing, and proceed with great care and caution.

On an extra note, it was less than 18 months ago that the citizens of the US wondered "Why does the world hate us so much?" I truly believed that, as a result of a great tragedy on their own soil, they would learn from their new-found vulnerability and tone down their arrogance and air of superiority. Sadly, the American self-reflection has gone quickly, to be replaced by an even greater level of arrogance. So France and Germany objected to US plans. They have every right to do so. Not so, thinks the US, who scream about US lives lost in France during WWII, and threaten sanctions (SANCTIONS!) against both countries. What?!!! The bully-boy tactics are back. No matter what the historic special relationship between the UK and US, surely for our own benefit we must not follow the US blindly anymore. I agree with what Niall has said about our European allies being more important for our future. The US seems intent only on making us a fellow target, and to drag us along so they don't feel quite so isolated.

jjc Guest

You are right in the past the Governments have had a clear-cut enemy, including the Gulf War. Terrorism is not a clear-cut enemy; he/she can be staying in your own country as with N Ireland, or in Libya, the old USSR, and E Germany etc. How do you declare war on terrorism?
    How, indeed, do you declare war on terrorism? How do you declare war when there is no clear-cut enemy? In this case, we are preparing to declare war not on a state, or even a group of states, but on one man. This is not going to be a war against Iraq, indeed President Bush himself has said so:

Quote Originally Posted by President Bush - speech to the UN, 13 September 02
    The United States has no quarrel with the Iraqi people. They've suffered too long in silent captivity. Liberty for the Iraqi people is a great moral cause and a great strategic goal.
    This is, instead, a war against an individual. Countless times he has been named directly as the terror that threatens the world. Saddam Hussein. True, this man is evil. Yes, he can easily be described as a monster, a homicidal maniac with the might of an army behind him. But let us not forget that the Iraqi people will be the soldiers and civilians killed in any war. Let us stop conning ourselves that this will be a war with only one victim.

If Iraq is in breach of UN resolution 1441 then it needs to be taken to task. Clearly we cannot simply go on throwing mandate after mandate at the leadership hoping that one day they will listen. I believe it is cruel and inhumane to continue to force economic sanctions on the Iraqi people when clearly these sanctions affect only the people of Iraq, and not their leader.

But IF Iraq is in breach of this UN resolution then we MUST act within international laws governing such situations. We (the west), as the supposed moral leaders of the free world CANNOT, and MUST NOT, act outside the law. Resolution 1441 states:

Quote Originally Posted by United Nations Security Council resolution 1441
    failure by Iraq at any time to comply with, and co-operate fully in the implementation of this resolution, shall constitute a further material breach of Iraq's obligations and will be reported to the Council for assessment.
    It does not say failure to co-operate fully in the implementation of this resolution shall result in war. We NEED a further resolution, agreed by the member states, before an attack on the people of Iraq can be seen as anything more than an act of agression.

The problem for the US led race-for-war is that some member states have raised questions regarding its validity. The French Foreign Minister, Dominique de Villepin, has called for inspectors to be given more time to complete their work. It seems that this is tantamount to treason against the world leader that 'is' the US. Who could have missed the outrage that this little gem caused???

and more recently :

And it's not just the NY Post that carries such headlines (they just have the most interesting pictures to go with them). There are calls, both in the press and from the US Government, for sanctions against any nations which oppose their views (despite the US leading the group in the number of vetos used - thanks Mr. Bremner for that gem).

Quote Originally Posted by londonwicker
    why should we go do our bit with the americans...well..its called repaying a debt.they saved our hides in ww2,and if they hadnt came along at the right time,then we would be speaking german by now.were only a small country,we need allies like america,population 260 million
    Are you sure, Londonwicker, that this is a debt we should be repaying? Do we believe that the US joined WWII for the good of mankind? Didn't the US join WWII after Pearl Harbour? Wasn't an act of war made against them first? And, if Germany had conquered Britain and, we assume, the rest of Europe, where would Hitler turn next? If Britain and the other allies were no longer in the fight, do you think that the USA would have been able to win a war against the rest of the world? Possibly, possibly not. Who is to say. What I do know is that many countries fought, many countries sacrificed their men (and women) in a war that spanned the globe. How one country can claim to have been the saviour of all mankind, especially now, is beyond me.

Oh, and we may only be a small country, but we are a GREAT nation. This little island of ours is recognised throughout the world. I, personally, am proud to belong to this nation and take offence at your almost apologetic tone. Whatever happened to the stiff upper lip and firm resolve that we were once so famous for?

You joke about India and Pakistan! But do you realise that there is now a greater chance of a nuclear attack, than there was during the Cold War! Now that is something to think about! But it is ok; it is in the Far East. This again this is another area where the UN is failing in its so-called job!
    Oh, no. I don't joke about India and Pakistan and nuclear weapons. Frankly, the idea terrifies me. It also terrifies me that we could attack Iraq without a UN resolution, and give the green light to either country to attack their neighbour. There are ramifications to every action.

Quote Originally Posted by abewsed also
    The[n] again when was the last time the US has had 4,000 killed in one day? I don’t know about the US, but the UK’s never had 4,000 killed in one day since WWI.
    No. We haven't had 4000 killed in one day. We had them killed over time; bombed, shot, stabbed and tortured, one by one or by the dozen. All the while our government sought to find a peaceful settlement with the factions involved. I'm not equating the Taliban or Saddam Hussein to the IRA. What I am trying to do is step back and look at the situation with compassion and, perhaps, a little understanding.

At the moment Americans are racing around the globe seeking vengence. They did not look towards the Taliban with an eye for peace and justice. They went to Afghanistan for revenge. It was swift, brutal and usually from the air. And you know what? I don't blame them.

The trouble is that somebody now needs to stand up and say 'enough'. The fight against terrorism must, and shall, go on. It is a just fight. But at some point we need to step back and make it a rational, reasonable fight. When the fight is fuelled by a need for revenge, it can never be rational or reasonable, only a fight.

jjc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by President George W. Bush, Des Moines, Iowa, June 8, 2001
    Russia is no longer our enemy, and therefore we shouldn't be locked into a Cold War mentality that says we keep the peace by blowing each other up. In my attitude, that's old, that's tired, that's stale.

FairyFi Guest

and we still dont know who wrote the sign!!

Anonymous Guest

The only war in which a government deliberately attacks the “civilian” population is called a Civil War. Even then they are backing one side against the other. Like during the American Civil War. Or the Indian Mutiny or Boer War. This was the agenda until WW2. During WW2 the Allies attacked the civilian population. This was the first time a Civilian Population was attacked en-mass deliberately, out side of a Civil War. The reason is that the civilians were helping the other side’s war machine, in factories etc. So by killing the population, you stop the making of munitions, which stops the war. Or so the theory goes.
    Germany had 2,050,000 CIVILIANS killed by the Allies (300,000 were by the Germans, i.e. Jews etc). Poland had 4,800,000 killed in Camps and 500,000 during war. Britain had 60,000 killed. USSR 6,700,000 killed and so on. It was a new kind of war. Some called it Strategic Bombing, Blanket Bombing on the Allies part. The mass of those killed by Germany and the USSR was cold-blooded murder, or Genocide. During the RAF & USAAF bombing campaigns of 1942-45 against Germany and its occupied territories, it was the USAAF that “tried” to hit military targets and this is why they attacked by day (Strategic Bombing). The RAF on the other hand bombed by night and this was called Blanket Bombing, where civilians were being killed. It was the attitude of, if the Rail yard is in Berlin, just bomb Berlin etc.
    After the war people who had supported the mass bombing of Germany and its cities (which was most of the population), woke up to the reality of what happened. SO!!!! The UN was formed to stop this from happening and to protect the civilians and the little counties from the aggressors. Yes the same old story. It is supposed to be the UN that goes in and stops UN-HUMAIN acts! I.e. in the former Yugoslavia, Iran, Iraq, Uganda, Kenya, Zimbabwe, S Africa, Tunisia, Congo, Russia and Somalia etc. The list is endless.

The UN gave Saddam 7 months to get out of Kuwait. He refused and had to be force out. He then was given resolutions to abide by. Like “unrestricted access” to the weapons inspectors. Which he hindered and even kicked out as some points. He has attacked Kurdish civilians. He has murdered his own people and their families. He has been in breach of the weapon restrictions. Basically since 1992 he has prevented the UN weapons inspector from doing their job.

The UN weapons inspectors can’t say for sure, if he has biological or chemical weapons. They can’t say for sure he has no ability in which to produce them. They can’t say for sure whether he is planning to make them. They can’t say for sure anything. Now why is that? It is because he has been hindering the UN Weapons Inspectors since 1991.

Lets be realistic! He has been using the UN for his own agenda. He uses making fools out of them or blocking them, to show his own people who is in charge. He has publicly stated that they are not a threat to Iraq (meaning himself). The UN has lost all credibility that it had during the Korean War. It is like a punch drunk boxer now, past its sell by date. Saddam is still looking to be the new Prophet of the Arab World. How is he going to achieve this? By destroying Isreal or the West (i.e. USA). If he can start a holy war, so much the better. He will be in his underground bunker whilst his country is dying. Do you think he will care?

Saddam is a nutter, worse than that he can be a clever nutter. He can’t at times understand why the UN allowed his army to escape from Kuwait. He can’t understand why they did not attack Baghdad. He looks upon the UN as being weak. To be honest with you so do other countries.

Of the soldiers I have spoke to, all are pissed about having to go back and do a job that should have been done 11 years ago. Who do they blame? Blair? No he was not there in 1991. Bush was also absent in 1992. So who is left? Saddam and the UN. Out of the two the UN is getting the most blame!

Should the US and UK attack Iraq and its Government? NO!!! The UN should say 11 years is enough. Saddam resign and leave Iraq, whilst the rest of the Arab Nations sort out a new Government. The Middle East has been at war since 1945. Civilians have been killed by the thousands. But then again they are only “rag heads” so why should we care? It is about time the situation was sorted out. Can anyone ever remember if the UN has sent troops to stop the Israeli &Arab conflict? No, because they have never been sent.

On about civilians being killed if Iraq is attacked. Lets not forget our civilians could be killed, in terror reprisals. OK, now we all believe that don’t we! And that is a REAL fear! Proof that Saddam has no regard for life, whether it is his own people or others! I don’t think there is a con, as to there only being one victim. There could be a lot more. But then again, there could be a lot more if nothing is done about the situation. But as I have said we can wait another 10 years for another Sept 11th and another 4,000 INNOCENT victims.

I like the “If Iraq is in breach of UN resolution 1441 then it needs to be taken to task.” IT has been in breach of every resolution since before 1992! Including Humanity! Or sorry Saddam and his loyal Government are in breach.
    August 4, 1990 UN Resolution 660 demands the immediate withdrawal from Kuwait.
    August 6, 1990 UN resolution 661 bans the importation of Iraqi goods.
    August 9, 1990 UN resolution 662 finds the annexation of Kuwait has no legal validity.
    August 18, 1990 UN resolution 664 demands that Iraq release foreign nationals who are being detained in Iraq.
    August 25, 1990 UN resolution 665 strengthens the economic embargo against Iraq.
    Sept 13, 1990 UN resolution 666 asks for continuous information on the humanitarian situation within Kuwait and Iraq.
    Sept 16, 1990 UN resolution 667 condemns Iraqi violation of diplomatic compounds in Kuwait and demands the immediate release of foreign nationals removed from Kuwait.
    Sept 24, 1990 UN resolution 669 imposes an air embargo on Iraq.
    Oct 29, 1990 UN resolution 674 reiterates the condemnation of Iraqi treatment of foreign nationals and demands their release.
    Nov 29, 1990 UN resolution 678 authorizes the use of "all means necessary" after January 15, 1991, to enforce previous UN resolutions, including that requiring Iraqi withdrawal from Kuwait.
    April 3, 1991 UN Security Council Resolution 687 establishes the terms of the peace, including return of Kuwaiti property and prisoners, economic sanctions, and Iraqi disarmament. Iraq is to provide a list of all weapons of mass destruction in its possession. UNSCOM inspectors are to ascertain that the arms have been surrendered.
    April 14, 1995 UN Security Council Resolution 986 establishes the "Oil for Food" Program
    Dec 17, 1999 Resolution 1284 creates UN monitoring, verification and inspection commission (Unmovic) to replace Unscom. Iraq rejects resolution
    Nov 8, 2002 UN Security Council Resolution 1441 calls on Iraq to cooperate with UN inspection teams and not to obstruct UN forces. Iraq must declare all weapons of mass destruction in its possession by December 8, 2002. UNMOVIC inspection teams began inspecting sites in Iraq.

13 UN resolutions since the invasion of Kuwait in 1990. How many has Saddam ignored hindered or sabotaged? He played the same UN 1441 back in Apr 1991& Dec 1999 with UN resolutions 687 and 1284. Did he play fair then? No! Will he be honest this time? No!

I think the time for talking is past. But I don’t think it should be the US & UK to go into Iraq. If they were to go in, I would prefer the backing of the Arab nations. But they are sticking by their fellow brothers. But do you think they will shed a tear if Saddam died? No, he is a thorn is their side as well.

Why should the rest of the world abide by UN mandates when Saddam is ignoring them, when it suits? He is playing a game and winning. Why because he see’s the West as being soft as well as the UN. I agree with the quote on 1441, and to be honest I even had to laugh at it! Saddam will too. He will use it for toilet paper, as it even sounds soft.

I think when the UN put a resolution to France and UK during the Suez crisis; they said get out or else. And they did, or else. No please, or we will have to rethink our wording. It was clear and to the point. Now that was to the two strongest countries in Western Europe (at that time)!!!!

There is no validity to the US & UK attacking Iraq; it is illegal in the eyes of the UN. But is it immoral? Is it unjust? I ignore quotes from France as they have hidden agendas! Greece yes, Germany yes, but not the French. Sorry, but I don’t trust them one bit! I could start on how they treated the Jews, British POW’s, Arabs etc but that is another debate.

The problem with tabloid papers is that they write what they want or what will sell papers. Before the last Gulf War there were papers against the war. “Thousands will die”. “It is not our war” etc. But then after the war the same anti-war papers were saying it was the best thing since sliced bread. Hypocrites the lot of them.

Londonwicker has a point we do owe a dept to the US. They did save our bacon in two world wars. Without them supplying weapons and food to the UK. History could have been different. It might have been we might not have the freedom to site here debating politics in safety. It might have been we would be told what to say and when to say it, as in IRAQ! And if you did not comply, you and your family (children, parents, uncles, grandparents etc) all disappear into the night.
    It is true that USA was dragged into the war. But they could have dealt with the Japs first and left us to rot. But they (against public opinion) decided to sort out Europe first. Just as well for Berlin and unlucky for Nagasaki.
    It was the US’s distance from Japan and Europe that allowed it to build a massive war machine that saved the day. Oh, and a little point, its millions of soldiers, airmen and sailors, which we (UK) did not have. Whether we like it on not, the USA did save our bacon.

The stiff upper lip went with the British Empire. We are a powerful nation still, but mainly because we have enough nuclear weapons to ruin any aggressor day, month, year and life.

Don’t worry about India & Pakistan, they are not alone. There are Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, every European Country, S Africa, Turkey, Libya, Egypt, Japan, South Korea, Iran and others which are all capable of making a nuclear bomb. Not just UK, USA, former USSR, China, France, Israel, Iran and N Korea who defiantly have the “bomb”. Has the end of the Cold War made the world safer?????? Sorry to give you more nightmares.

I do not agree the US is racing around the globe seeking vengeance. That I believe that yaou are wrong. If so they would have attacked Iraq on Sept 12th. As they have always been on top of the list. I just wonder now, if they would have go away with it then? As most people were expecting revenge then. Well, Libya was expecting the US 6th Fleet to bomb them back to the Stone Age.

Then the UN should tell the terrorist “enough”. “ We” have nothing against Hindu, Muslim, and Jew etc. Unless they attack us. Someone did attack the US and did kill British people. Someone did plant the bomb on the Lockerbie aircraft. Is it the person/s who carried out the attack who is to be held in account, or is it the person who ordered them? Or the person/s who is financing the operation. The person/s who is supporting the bombing? Who should the revenge be carried out on? It can’t be left unaccounted for. That is not justice.

Ask yourself this then. After Sept 11, did Saddam publicly support the bombing? If he did (which he did) is he supporting the terrorists? Has he since 1991, supplied terrorists with weapons or money to further their operations? Are any of these organisations a threat to the UK?
    If he is guilty of any one of these, then he is a terrorist. If you disagree then… It is like saying Hitler was innocent as he (personally) did not kill anyone other than during WW1. Worse, we know Saddam takes great delight in killing people personally. His son is even keener in that field than him. In fact he is supposed to keep a tight rope on his son, as he is a bigger nutter than him.

The proof is against Saddam. The question is should we just leave him? The UN Resolutions are like our New Year Resolution, hollow promises and hopes.

Yes FairyFi, we still don’t know who wrote the sign. See what happens everything escalates. Looking for sign makers and a big debate follows!!!!!

Anonymous Guest

Actually the people who wrote the sign were on the FRONT PAGE of the groat which followed the writing of the sign. If I actually bought it and had it to hand I'd put the names here, I dont, but I'm sure there will be someone who can oblige.

This only goes to show how many things go on that escape our attention.

Default I DON'T HAVE THE GROAT TO HAND BUT I THINK THE GIRLS WERE

given as Ami Simpson and Gail MacDonald, both aged 25 from what I remember. Hope this is both correct and helpful. Peace

jjc Guest

Abewsed,

When Iraq invaded Kuwait the UN mandate was for their immediate withdrawl back to Iraqi territory. They ignored that demand and the Gulf was ensued, however the mandate was adhered to and the war continued until Iraq withdrew and surrendered.

I can't argue with you that Iraq - and let us be clear, there are individuals who will take over from Saddam Hussein the minute he is no longer in power and they will continue the same regieme structure and they will hold the power, so I'm going to refer to Iraq as a regieme and NOT as simply Saddam Hussein - have flaunted countless UN resolutions something MUST be done about Iraq.

I can't argue with you that the situation in Iraq is frightening. We cannot cross our fingers and hope that Iraq does not continue in its attempts to aquire weapons of mass destruction. We cannot allow an entire country's people to live in fear of arrest, torture and execution.

We cannot allow Iraq to go unchecked, that would be madness, but we also cannot become the aggressors without due process.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hans Blix - statement to the UN Security Council
    It would appear from our experience so far that Iraq has decided in principle to provide co-operation on process, notably access...

Iraq has on the whole co-operated rather well so far with Unmovic in this field.

The most important point to make is that access has been provided to all sites we have wanted to inspect and, with one exception, it has been prompt.

We have further had great help in building up the infrastructure of our office in Baghdad and the field office in Mosul.

Arrangements and services for our plane and our helicopters have been good. The environment has been workable....
    The same statement goes on to say that there are some issues with the inspections which need to be investigated and dealt with, but it does not state that the weapons inspectors are unable to carry out their function.

Why, when so much diplomatic effort has been put into getting the inspectors back into Iraq, should we now withdraw them as they are beginning their work? Tony Blair said yesterday that it was for the Security Council, and not the inspectors themselves, to decide if they were able to proceed with their work. Why is that? Surely the inspectors will be the best people to judge if they, themselves, are being hindered.

Yesterday there was an attempt to put the brakes on in the headlong rush for war. The EU leaders met and made a statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Statement by European Union Leaders - 17 February 2003
    War is not inevitable. Force should be used only as a last resort. It is for the Iraqi regime to end this crisis by complying with the demands of the Security Council.

We reiterate our full support for the ongoing work of the UN inspectors. They must be given the time and resources the UN Security Council believes they need.

However, inspections cannot continue indefinitely in the absence of full Iraqi co-operation.

This must include the provision of all the additional and specific information on the issues that have been raised in the inspectors' reports.

Baghdad should have no illusions: it must disarm and co-operate immediately and fully. Iraq has a final opportunity to resolve the crisis peacefully.
    To my mind this is more sensible. Weapons inspectors are to be given the time they need to do their jobs, so long as they are able to do their jobs. The Iraqi regieme has now been put on final notice by the members of the EU and the consequences of non-compliance are now clear.

More imporantly, the members of the EU have agreed, together, that the weapons inspectors are to be given a chance. I have been objecting to the US attitude, which seems to have been that there is nothing Iraq can now do because no matter what happens now Saddam Hussein cannot be trusted. This could ONLY result in a regieme backed into a corner with no hope of escape and, as has been said, a madman at the helm.

What is on offer now is a diplomatic opening through which the Iraqi regieme can walk, escaping a war that will inflict harm and suffering on the people of that country.

I can now only hope that the Iraqi regieme will grasp this final chance with both hands. Certainly they have now allowed U-2 spy planes to fly over Iraq, something which the weapons inspectors sited as an issue. Isn't a peaceful end better than war at all costs?

Londonwicker has a point we do owe a dept to the US. They did save our bacon in two world wars.
    The US is a powerful nation, and they are our allies, but let us not see them as the saviours of the human race. Our countrymen fought, and died, in both World Wars as well, remember? Not only did they fight, but whilst they were on the battlefields their families and friends were being bombarded and killed in their own homes. They suffered rationing, blackouts, the constant threat of invasion. I am not going to play down the part of the US military in either case, but I am also not going to play down the parts played by others.

I had a quick scout around and found some figures for WWII:

Country - Military Deaths - Civilian Deaths
    USSR - 10,000,000 - 10,000,000
    China - 3,500,000 - 10,000,000
    Germany - 3,500,000 - 3,800,000
    Poland - 120,000 - 5,300,000
    Japan - 1,700,000 - 380,000
    Yugoslavia - 300,000 - 1,300,000
    Romania - 200,000 - 465,000
    France - 250,000 - 360,000
    British Empire - 425,000 - 60,000
    Italy - 330,000 - 80,000
    Hungary - 120,000 - 280,000
    Czechoslovakia - 10,000 - 330,000
    USA - 407,318 - not significant*

*I know every death should be significant, but these are the figures I have

I have respect for all of those who gave their lives for their beliefs during WWII. What I object to is this belief that the millions of soldiers who died before the US got involved gave their lives needlessly, because all we needed was the US and the war was won.

Is it not wrong, after so many years, to hold the US above all others for their part in the struggle? Especially when you consider that it took until the 1960s for the allied countries to pay back the BILLIONS of dollars that the US were owed under the Lend-Lease Act (http://www.let.leidenuniv.nl/history...es1/master.htm)?

Don’t worry about India & Pakistan, they are not alone. There are Argentina, Brazil, Mexico, Canada, every European Country, S Africa, Turkey, Libya, Egypt, Japan, South Korea, Iran and others which are all capable of making a nuclear bomb.
    Ah, but I am worried. Not because they have the ability to build the bomb, but because the two neighbours have deep-rooted mistrust and hatred towards each other that has often come close to all out war. Yes, other countries have nuclear weapons, but none are so close to using them (and have recently threatened just that).

If he is guilty of any one of these, then he is a terrorist. If you disagree then… It is like saying Hitler was innocent as he (personally) did not kill anyone other than during WW1.
    Aside from the fact that I am pretty sure Hitler neither killed, nor ordered the killing, of anybody during World War ONE, the comparison between Hitler and Saddam Hussein has been made countless times as part of the propoganda leading up to the second Gulf War... how about we focus on the current situation, rather than conjour up fears of past evil to justify dealing with the evil we now face. I don't think that anybody could claim that Hitler was innocent, but the comparison does not help the argument.

On about civilians being killed if Iraq is attacked. Lets not forget our civilians could be killed, in terror reprisals.
    and unless we go about this in a way that does not alienate and insult the Islamic world, isn't it possible that terror reprisals could increase anyway? This is why the latest statement by the EU is so important.

“ We” have nothing against Hindu, Muslim, and Jew etc. Unless they attack us.
    Who, exactly, are "We"? In Britain at the moment there are; 300000 followers of Judaism, 400000 Hindus, 600000 Sikhs, and 1.2million followers of Islam. Are you suggesting that "We" excludes them? And what about the population of the US, do we need to break it down to show that it is ethnically and religiously diverse? I hope not.

I agree with the sentiment of the initial part of the statement, I have nothing against any of these religions. However, it is not the religion that attacks its enemies, it is fanatical followers of religion. Take the Taliban and Al-Qaeda as examples. They act under the authority of their religion? Not according to the millions of more peaceful followers of the same religion. Can we blame the religion, or the people?

Anyway... I am glad that the EU have finally joined together and, at least, offered a way for Iraq to avoid war. We now we have an end point that we may or may not reach peacefully, but at least it is now set.

Anonymous Guest

JJC,
    The UN resolution 660 stated that Iraq withdraws from Kuwait. But there was nothing about surrender. That is why the Coalition attacked the retreating Iraqis, which became the “Highway of Doom”. The Coalitions saw this motorcade as a fleeing army and attacked it. It became a massacre; thousands of fleeing Iraqis were killed in the “killing zone”. If Iraq had surrendered then a cease-fire would have been put in place. But they did not.

We come back to the point, has he or hasn’t he got weapons mass destruction or the ability to make mass destruction. We know we have. "We", being the UK. Do you think Blair or Bush would use them against Iraq? No. Why is that? Because it cannot be used by any one man, there would be a need for approval from the Governments, Military and Crown (unless there is an attack against the UK). But in Iraq, one man can make the decision. But the UN can’t say for defiant that Iraq does not have weapons for mass destruction. It does not have the ability to produce weapons of mass destruction. It is not making weapons of mass destruction in another country. Leaving the most important questions to last, is Iraq planning to make and / or use weapons of mass destruction in the future?

Diplomacy can only be used against a Diplomatic country. Not used against a tyrant. Hollow threats, like starving his country does not affect a tyrant. Look at Hitler and his baboons, they fought to the last. Their country was destroyed, innocent people were dying all around them, but yet the fought on. The Allies demanded an unconditional surrender from Germany. Why was a diplomatic solution not found? Because you can’t deal with madmen.

I total agree with the EU statement. Force should be the last option. This leads to the next question has Iraq been co-operating with the UN fully in the last 10 years? Is it now co-operating? Or are they, as in the past, co-operating only when and where they want.

So now the UN wants us to site back give the Weapons Inspectors more time to do their inspections. So we wait another 10 years and then what? He is rearming. He is improving his Scud Missiles, he is preparing his Army. He has learnt his mistakes from the last war.

It is amazing that the strongest threat to Iraq from the EU is more or less on the eve of Battle. Is this proof that military force is the only thing that scares Saddam? It seems to be. We went through the same thing with Bosnia. The EU and the UN saying “give peace a chance”. Until NATO said enough is enough. In fact (of the top of my head) it might be the same countries that were shouting the same slogans, i.e. France and Russia.
    Also how many times have Iraq been on final notice?

I don’t think the US are saying there is no option now other than war. If Saddam and his cronies backed their bags and left for the Artic the US would be happy for the Arab countries to ensure a new government was put in place. I know it is not as simple as that, but that is the gist of it. In fact they did offer him money to leave and safe passage. It makes sense as it is costing a fortune to go to war and it would be cheaper to pay the man (or bribe him). Peace is always cheaper than war, in cost. But sometimes costly in lives, i.e. Sept 11 = 4,000 killed.

I have to agree with the US. I would not trust Saddam, ever! But his way out is to leave Iraq and the Middle East. But then if he did leave would he form a terrorist organisation????

I don’t think a U-2 spy plane will make any difference. Iraq is the most photographed piece of land in the world. US satellites are monitoring it all the time. That is one area that I am suspicious off. As they had Satellites watching Iraq’s every move. How could/can they build new weapons factories without the US knowing about it? Or is it a myth, by the US? If they had decided to make a nuclear bomb, which needs certain materials, surly the US would know where they were building it. But then with Chemical weapons or Biological weapons, does he need nothing more that a chemistry shop? That I can’t answer as I am not a chemist.

I think Vietnam proved that the US is not the saviours of the human race. What atrocity happened in Vietnam was unacceptable. So yes they like other nations can be quite barbaric, including the UK. In fact it was Australia that started the Vietnam War. The US went in to help them stop the “Surge of Communism in the Far East”. Then Australia said enough, we are off. US stayed! They believed with military might that they would win. History proves a weaker force with more determination can win.
    Yes other countries played their part in the overthrow of Germany and Japan in WW2. That was not the point. The point is that the US supplied the British Empire, China, and USSR with military & economic aid. Without which they might has lost the war. Or at least prolong the war, resulting in further loss of lives. I can’t understand why people don’t give the US the credit they deserve? Is it an ego thing? Fact is they did aid us and save our bacon. Yes we then went and defeated the Axis Forces. With Liberator Bombers, Sherman tanks, Liberty Ships etc. All (or the most of them) built in the US with the massive US workforce. We had our own tanks, bombers etc, but we did not have enough to defeat Germany. But could the US have defeated Germany without Britain? Not conventionally, as they needed a base in which to fight from. Could they have defeated Germany by themselves? Yes, Hiroshima and Nagasaki proves that.
    The Lend – Lease Act was a way of bypassing the US mandates. Which would not allow the Government to supply weapons to one country against another. So they did not “give” us weapons etc, they sold it to us. As we did not have the money, we leased land out to them, i.e. rent. It was called finding a loophole in the system. At the time, I did not hear the British Government complaining; in fact I think they were delighted.
    What was wrong was that the UK and other Countries paid back their dept, whilst Germany was rebuilt by aid from other countries and did not have to pay anything back in damages etc. That was morally wrong (but I am bias in that area).

The total killed in WW2 was about 55,000,000. About the population of the UK. Of which between 5 to 10,000,000 were exterminations. Again, that is what the UN was set up to prevent. Look at your history and see how many civilians have been exterminated since 1945. Then tell me the UN is doing a good job!

Ok, I will go along with you and agree only Pakistan and India have a real danger of using Nukes against each other. But what about tomorrow? If Saddam is left unchecked, will he use a weapon of mass destruction against Israel? Just imagine it, Saddam is dying (2 days to live), will he push the button, so he can die a hero? Whichever way we look at the situation, it is a Catch 22, possibly dammed if we do and possibly dammed if we don’t.

You call comparing Saddam to Hitler, propaganda. I have to laugh. This is what the UN was set up to prevent!!!!!!! There should be no country carrying out Genocide. If there is crimes against humanity, is what the UN should be preventing? The UN is now too bogged down in politics to function. “Look to your history, to prevent the same mistake happening again.” So it is now is ok to ignore history. Lets ignore that the US help Europe out in two World Wars. Lets forget that Germany and Japan carried out untold atrocities. So let forget that Saddam has attacked/butchered innocent people in the past. Lets forget that he has attacked and committed crimes against humanity in Kuwait. Lets forget he was a threat to the rest of the Middle East. Lets forget he attacked Israel with Scud Missiles, who was not part of the coalition. We will just forget “just” after the Gulf War he attacked the Kurds. I could go on… How can you say, “how about we focus on the current situation.”? When it is the past that has led us to the present situation. I was going to say, “lets just forget Sept 11th”, but I know this is not what you mean.

“We” refers to the Royal we. The UK. Being politically correct “we” the nation have nothing against any other race or belief. This is called “FREEDOM”!!!!

I agree with you. I hope the UN, EU, US, and UK & more importantly the Arab Nations can get a peaceful means to this crisis. But if not, will the US & UK attack Iraq. I believe yes, as it has go to far now. If you look at history, i.e. 1990 &91, it was the same countries that were against war, as is now. With the exception of Saudi Arabia.

There is a motto. “LA A BHLAIR ‘S MATH NA CAIRDEAN”
    (On the day of battle, friends are good). 51st (Highland) Division motto.

I just hope that if it goes to war, the rest of the nations (mainly the Arab ones) back the US and UK. Otherwise…………..

Oh, also jjc were you one of the “no war” creators?

jjc Guest

Nope... 'twas not I, 'twas some other scoundrel with a pot of paint (should have come here instead, 'tis a much better venue for debate than a wall)

Anyway, Abewsed, I get the feeling that we are both starting to get drawn towards a common argument (like it, or not) but that we are approaching it from different ends.

I believe that war should be the very last resort and that, as long as the weapons inspectors can continue to report that they are being allowed to work, we still have a possible avenue for a peaceful end.

You (and I'm sure you will correct me if I am wrong) believe that the regime in Iraq has had its chance and we should overthrow that regime as quickly as possible.

Is it possible that we both believe that the statement made by the EU leadership, allowing for continued inspections but with a 'this is your last warning' message attached, might be a reasonable compromise?

I have believed from the beginning that the regime in Iraq is evil and that something must be done. I have also believed that if war is needed to facilitate the doing of that something, then so be it. I believe, however, that an act of aggression now, without further resolutions or inspections, could only be bad for global politics of the future. Moral high-ground, like any other high-ground, is sought after in conflict and once lost is extremely costly to retake. We should keep hold of ours for as long as we can.

---

Diplomacy can only be used against a Diplomatic country. Not used against a tyrant. Hollow threats, like starving his country does not affect a tyrant. Look at Hitler and his baboons, they fought to the last. Their country was destroyed, innocent people were dying all around them, but yet the fought on. The Allies demanded an unconditional surrender from Germany. Why was a diplomatic solution not found? Because you can’t deal with madmen.
    I certainly hope that we, as diplomatic and democratic countries, are able to deal with non diplomatic regimes with diplomacy. I hope that when the UN and EU gather to discuss Iraq they do so with diplomacy and decency. I know it is a cliche, but we cannot stoop to their levels. Although, by threatening sanctions against France, I thought that the US might be coming close.

Again, you bring Hitler into the debate. If we are going to have a debate about war with Iraq, let us debate war with Iraq. We are all aware of, and I hope horrified by, the insane hell that spread across Europe, and I hope that there is nobody out there who can say that they would wish such things again. But to say Saddam Hussein 'might' become the next Hitler is to throw a 'what if' into the argument. Do we need a 'what if'? We already know that he has committed crimes against Humanity.

If you must compare him to somebody, choose Milosovic. Their crimes, their intolerance, their evil, are surely more comparable than an extrapolation of the future based on assumptions.

I hope to God that Saddam Hussein is brought to justice, but let it be justice and not fear that he might become the next Hitler, start a terrorist group, or push a button two days before he dies. We MUST punish him for crimes he HAS committed, when we start to punish people for crimes they might commit we are lost.

---

The difference that the U-2 spy plane will make is more symbolic than actual. When Hans Blix reported back to the UN he made reference to the Iraqis refusal to allow them to fly a U-2 spy plane. They have now done so. A step in the right direction? Let us hope so, and let us give that step a chance to become a full blown march.

---

I am unable to argue with you further on the ‘hooray, hooray, the US saved the day’ issue. It is off topic and I doubt we will ever agree. My final entry on that subject (unless you care to raise a separate thread) is this:

Both World Wars threatened the stability of every country on this planet, hence World War and not European War. Many, many countries fought in many, many battles. Millions upon millions of men died. I am proud to say that both of my grandfathers fought for my freedom. I am also proud to say that many other countries joined together to fight evil.

I am happy to stand up and say that the US was able to provide much needed aid, weapons, machinery and manpower. What should not happen is for any one country to claim the right to absolute subservience because they joined in on the side of freedom. To be honest, it sickens me. I find it incredulous that the US press has the gall to show a military graveyard in France and claim a right to unanimity (or rather, agreement to their opinion) because they too fought for freedom.

I hadn’t really thought about it until ‘that’ front page. The war, to me, was won by a coalition of good versus evil, no one above the rest, no one below. That seemed like the right way to think about it. Obviously Americans feel that the world owes them a debt of gratitude. Sorry, I give my gratitude to all, not a few.

---

Anyway, I thought of a crass similarity today between the way the UN are dealing with Iraq and the way we discipline our children (and lest we forget, Iraq is actually born of our meddling). I apologise in advance if this offends anybody, I don’t mean to compare Iraq to a child that needs discipline, nor do I mean to belittle the plight of the Iraqi people. Please read on and I hope you will understand my point…

When dealing with a child who will not behave you need to have some level of consistency or else the child will not understand. You cannot smile sweetly at the cute child tugging on your coat one minute and then slap their hand the next for being a pest. If you have allowed your child to run amok without any discipline and then you suddenly lash out you will confuse them and no lesson will have been learnt (except maybe that they need to move quicker next time). Instead you tell the child that what they are doing is wrong. If they do not stop, you warn them that they will get into trouble. If they continue, they get into trouble.

With Iraq we have been warning, and then turning a blind eye, and then warning, and then turning a blind eye. A few days ago we seemed ready to launch an all out offensive against them for behaviour which they have gotten away with for decades. Maybe it is a simplistic way of looking at things, but we needed to give them a final warning, one more wrong step and it’s punishment time, and this time we mean it. Until the EU leadership statement that had not been done. The discussion was purely one of should we, or should we not, punish them. Where is the incentive there for them to co-operate in the slightest? This way we have given them one final chance to behave before we give them a clip round the ear and teach them a lesson.

Again, sorry if it was a little crass. Hope the point is understandable though.

---

Abewsed, I’m not sure we will ever truly agree on this subject, or many others. But can we agree that the statement from the EU leadership giving the inspectors more time, with conditions, is a compromise? Not all out war, but not all out peace either? One last chance for Saddam Hussein to realise he is in a no-win situation and back down… hope he takes it.

Default no war

Well Well people i have certainly got you talking! i cant remember the last time i seen such long posts!!!!

I think that if iraq and saddam insane need some propoganda then they should just log on to caithness.org some of the posts i have read are nothing short of treason!!!(i use that term in jest).

The fact that you can all have an opinion just proves that democracy works, i dont have to agree with your point of view but at least you are allowed to express one.
    If you were a shi-ite muslim in iraq (who form the majority of the country )you would be too petrified to express your view for fear of retaliation.
    The fact remains saddam has killed more of his own people than we did during the gulf war.
    People that harp on about the amount dead because of sanctions should stop and think-if all these people are dying through poverty why can saddam still build palaces and fund weapons?
    I feel really proud to be a part of democracy when i read the posts because you all have a view and are allowed to express it, RIGHT ON!!!!!

I am not a labour supporter but reading some of the posts especially niall stalins(thats a reply for adolf blair! )i can see that the reason some are replying is through political biases rather than valid arguments, but hey i have read them and some points do make sense so all i can say is open your mind and look at the facts and remember other people have a point of view too ,you dont have to like it but at least hear what is being said.

Well thats my point of view lets go to war get saddam overthrown but more importantly protect our own country cos if it gets out of hand we will all have a part to play when the preverbial hits the fan eg. if dounreay was attacked would some of us still harp on about not going to war? The threat is real and we all need to wake up to that fact.

Salam to all our muslim brothers that are innocent "goodbye" to the guilty.

If any1 wants to continue this then i am always on my yahoo id just pm me at any time and i will gladly chat.

Anonymous Guest

I don’t think a U-2 spy plane will make any difference. Iraq is the most photographed piece of land in the world. US satellites are monitoring it all the time. That is one area that I am suspicious off. As they had Satellites watching Iraq’s every move. How could/can they build new weapons factories without the US knowing about it? Or is it a myth, by the US?
    erm, how do you think the weapons inspectors know where to go look?

Do you think Saddam gave them a list of all his weapons factories?

Or do you think a list was compiled from all the photographs and entry demanded to those sites?

jjc Guest

Just a little mood lightener I got sent by email today:

President Bush and Colin Powell are sitting in a bar.
    A guy walks over and says "Wow, this is a real honor. What are you guys doing in here?"
    Bush says, "We're planning WW III. We are going to kill 24 million Iraqis & one beautiful blonde with big boobs."
    The guy says, "A beautiful blonde with big boobs! Why kill a beautiful blonde with big boobs?"
    Bush turns to Powell, punches him on the shoulder, laughs & says,
    "See, smart ass! I told you no one would worry about 24 million Iraqis! LET'S ROLL!"

Now, I'm not suggesting that Blair et. al. don't spend their time surfing the message boards of Caithness.org (and I'm sure that somebody with some degree of power does occasionally stop by), but just in case any of you would like to be able to voice your opinions some other place as well, the 'new look' BBC news site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/2777911.stm) has finally started to accept comments on this very subject. Knock yourselves out

Anonymous Guest

Jjc
    Ah, but without the “scoundrels” who made the “No War” sign, we might not be sitting here debating and Bill might not be getting the hits. So some good has come from it. One bit I liked about the sign, was that it was not permanent and did no real damage. A nice silent touch really.

I think, or hope, that most people agree that war is a final solution. By this I do not mean it in the Holocaust way, but rather it is the last resort. It should not be used for Political “progress”.

The weapons inspectors have had their chance. Whilst in 1991, after the war, most people thought that with the disarmament of Iraq, that Saddam would no longer be a “real” threat to the Middle East. But because they have been hindered by Saddam and to an extent the UN, it has not worked. If it had, they would not still, 12 years later, be searching for “missing” weapons.

Yes I believe Saddam has been given “parole” (by the UN) to mend his way. He has been given a chance to sit back and be a good boy. At ever turn he has broken his promises and hindered the UN. So the only option is to get rid of him. Whether he stays and dies, as a martyr, or he goes on holiday to some nice island with loads of cash. Exiled like Napoleon, that is his choice. But peace to the Middle East and the World is what should be the “real” aim. That does not include the Human Rights issue.

I am laughing again. How many times in the last decade has Saddam been given the “last warning”? I will have to take my shoes off to count. It is the “nice” option. But Saddam is a “NUTTER” pure and simple. He is on another planet, or maybe we (the civilised world) are on the wrong planet. This is a new millennium, where the Cold War is over, one where we are not expected to die in a Nuclear Holocaust or from weapons of mass destruction. One where the next real threat is supposed to be a Meteorite / Comet strike etc. Or so we were are lead to believe.

I am all for “giving peace a chance”. But I am also for Justice. Not a Lockerbie justice, where Gaddafi gets away with “murder” and we all kiss and make up. But also I don’t want to see a new war escalate, i.e. a Middle East War. Or a vacuum left in Iraq where on faction is seeking revenge on the other for the treatment they have endured over the last two and a half decades. I don’t want Iraq dragging Israel into a war with the Arabs. There are enough problems in Palestine without more. I am not saying that it could end up in Armageddon, but it could go pear shaped.
    If the Arab Countries came out and admitted that they want rid of Saddam and they would back the US and UK, things would be better. But they wont, as Saddam is a fellow brother. This is where the real problem lies “blood is thicker than water”. During the last war the coalition had the backing of the Arab world. But not this time, well not publicly.
    We have Russia, France, Germany etc all saying that war is wrong. But realistically they were against the last War and getting involved in the Balkans Conflict. Both times those countries (France and Russia) were proved wrong. Again they are spouting the Anti-American slogans. Have you thought why? Is seems to me that they want to be the Big Boys, rather than the US.
    We will take a look at the countries involved. France a country that disagrees with anyone and everyone. They want a New Europe; also they want to be in charge. A country that invites Mugabe to Europe. Nice one! Did they ask the rest of Europe?
    Russia a country that is run by the Mafia, a country that will destroy a city against UN opposition.
    Germany that has a track record for peace! Oh, also both countries (France and Germany) seem to have a growing support for National Front movements.
    I think I will ignore their “human rights” protests.

But getting back to the possibility of war. There are still unaccounted weapon in Iraq.
    360 tonnes of chemical warfare agents, including 1.5 tonnes of VX nerve agent;
    3,000 tonnes of chemical precursors (which are developed into chemical weapons) including 300 tonnes uniquely used for VX.
    Growth media for 20,000 litres of biological warfare agents. Any Iraqi claims that this will have degenerated will not be accepted, as mustard gas found in shells in 1997 was active.
    Shells for use in biological warfare - 20,000 are missing say the British, 15,000 say the Americans.
    Unscom said in 1999: "The commission has little or no confidence in Iraq's accounting for proscribed items for which physical evidence is lacking or inconclusive, documentation is sparse or nonexistent, and coherence and consistency is lacking.”
    6,000 chemical warfare bombs.

Unscom said: “The commission has accepted the destruction of about 34,000 munitions on the basis of multiple sources, including physical evidence, documents provided by Iraq etc. However, it has not been possible to achieve a numerical accounting of destroyed munitions due to heavy bomb damage of the CW storage facilities, where these munitions had been stored during the Gulf war. The destruction of about 2,000 unfilled munitions remain uncertain, 550 filled munitions remain unaccounted for.”
    Other key concerns for the US and UK include the following: “Why did Iraq try to import 60,000 aluminium tubes? Rapidly spinning rotor tubes in centrifuges are used to separate weapons grade uranium, though both the British and American reports acknowledge that the tubes could be used for conventional weapons as well.”

Now take a look at what is unaccounted for. Make no mistake; “if” Saddam still has these weapons, it is not for the good of others!

“I” agree with diplomacy. I don’t blame the US or UK for today’s situation. I blame the UN. They have had 12 years in which to ensure the safety of both the US and the rest of the World. It has failed, pure and simple.

I think with the threat of sanctions against France, by the US, was because they can see France’s hidden agenda.

OK, no more Hitler! So we will just say that Saddam is the biggest and most dangerous nutter on the planet. But this whole debate is a “what if”. What if we do noting about Saddam? What if there is no war? What if Saddam has the decency to take a gun to his own head rather than someone else’s? “We learn from the past, to influence the present, which will guarantee (i.e., that it never happens again) the future”. But I will debate on your terms; see I am a reasonable guy!

Ok, so how do we bring Saddam to Justice? You expect him to walk into Geneva and surrender. Then ask for a fair trial? If you want him brought to Justice, then like most criminals, you have to go and get him and the police have to be armed. You miss the point about Saddam, he thinks that he is untouchable. Whilst he thinks this, he will do what he wants.

Again I am laughing. (Note: I am sorry to any others reading this, but rather than make the debate longer, you will have to read jjc’s previous articles) Yes allowing the U-2 Spy Plane to fly over Iraq is a symbolic action. But it is an unnecessary one, because of Satellites. Great! Now the US can photograph Iraq from both Space and a Plane! Some compromise. It is just wasting more US money.

Ok, the ‘hooray, hooray, the US saved the day’ issue. Most of the world does not like the US being the “police of the world”. But when they need military assistance or monetary aid, who do they call? Ghost Busters? I myself get annoyed with being classed as the next State of the USA. But at least they have backed us in most things, unlike the French. If I had a choice of becoming a European State with France in charge, or the next new State of the USA. I will take the latter.

A little known fact: Before WW2 they baddies of this country were the US. Most of the war planning was against the US not Germany. Since WW2, the UK and US have not always seen eye to eye. The UK did not get involved in Vietnam etc.

I think that the US press showing the graves of the soldiers killed in France. Was stating that more US blood was spilt in Liberating France than French blood! Which is true. Up until France was Liberated, de Gaulle was seen as a traitor by his own people. But we will not get into my pet hate, France. But you are right everyone suffered during WW2. But what came out of WW2 was the saviour of the New World, the UN, which would keep the peace!!!!!!!!! “Hooray, Hooray, the UN saved the day” in Korea and Suez. But has become extinct since.

Yes the problems of today in the Middle East are from the West meddling in dividing up the Ottoman Empire. But then again religion has a lot to do with it. They have been fighting for 2,000 years and more. A long time to forgive and forget. We still remember the “Highland Clearances”, Culloden etc and that was only a few hundred years ago! Then it did not help, when most European Countries did not want the fleeing Jews (during and AFTER WW2) to seek refuge in our countries. So they had to occupy Palestine. But that again is another debate.

Jjc, you have a way with words. Ok, children now. Lets say you have a child with a hand grenade and he/she is playing with the pin. What would you do? Speak nicely to them or panic and shout at them? Most people would punish/scold the child, slap their hand etc. Why because of fear. Fear for the child’s safety and your own. Not out of hate. Well this child (Saddam) has already played with the hand grenade and has been scolded and punished. But he still wants to play with the “toys”. So now he is in trouble! What next?

We keep coming back to this final warning, then another, then another etc etc etc. But I know what you mean. Yes the EU is taking a stronger stance. Why is this? It is not because Saddam means to be good from now on. It is because they know the US and UK mean what they say.

JJC, if we did agree this debate would not be taking place. Hotrod4 is right: There are always two sides to the story/argument. We can have this disagreement, without worrying about the secret police kicking down our doors and our families disappearing into the night. We take it for granted but Freedom sometimes cost a lot.

Niall Fernie: Obviously someone got it wrong, or the Satellites are not that good. Otherwise the missing weapons would have been found by now! But then again, I already stated Saddam is a “clever” nutter and has learnt from his mistakes. If they don’t know where the “hidden/missing” weapons are, then I don’t think a U-2 flying at between 70,000ft and 90,000ft-taking photos will do much good. But then again a hundred weapons inspector searching an area covering 169,235 sq miles (Iraq), searching for a weapons dump, is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    But to be serious. How the UN (not USA) can’t find the missing weapons: Iraq was not that well photographed (spied on) before 1990. The maps that the UK had were out of date, some dating back to WW2 and we had the best ones. The Iraqi regime were building all the time, new roads, palaces, towns etc. Some weapons complexes were camouflaged as warehouses or whatever. Most of the Intelligence as to where the weapons were kept came from the Israelis, as they have been trying to keep an eye on Iraq before 1990. Also that is who the Iraqis were hiding the factories from, not the US. From the account of weapons missing, he obviously has hidden weapon dumps/factories somewhere within 169,235 sq miles. Or possibly in some other “friendly” country (Syria or Iran, are possibilities). It was the same as when the Iraqi Air Force (or what was left of them) flew to Iran (Iraq’s old enemy). If they decided to save the aircraft, why not the weapons of mass destruction.
    The other way that they found some of the sites were from some of the Building Companies, by looking at the plans of the new buildings. But then again, they might have built a new building and renovated the old one. That Naill is how they knew where to look. Oh, also human intelligence (defectors) gave them info as well.
    It is like me asking you to find a car in Caithness. The car is a Red Ford Escort, registration ASK????. I then change the number plate and colour. Then I hid it in a barn, garage. Or even move it into Sutherland. That is what the UN weapons inspectors are dealing with. It is not impossible, but the odds are against them, with or without a Spy Planes or Satellites. The West started to spy on Iraq too late, simple as that. Poor intelligence. A few people got the boot for that oversight. The Berlin Wall came down, we were all safe, no need to worry. What also needs to be remembered is that the Spying was still mainly aimed at Russia, to ensure they were dismantling their weapons. Hindsight is a great thing.

Saddam was asked by the UN, for a list of sites! Which they found out were, either known about or destroyed. They soon learnt that he was not to be trusted! His list was a sham.

What to ask is….
    Do you think Saddam is telling the truth and the US and UK are lying?
    Do you think Saddam will try and start a Holy War?
    Do you think Saddam will use weapons of mass destruction?
    Do you think he is or was supporting terrorists, since 1990?
    Do you think he is still murdering innocent people?
    Do you think he is a threat to peace in the Middle East?
    Do you think Saddam should be left in control of Iraq?
    Who do you trust the most, Saddam or UK/USA.
    Who would you prefer to be governing you, Saddam or UK/USA?

Tick boxes will be supplied by Caithness.org (joke) If the tick boxes were supplied by Iraq it would be one sided!

Anonymous Guest

Had a look at the site jjc, but this one is better, more grit to it.

Again I am laughing. (Note: I am sorry to any others reading this, but rather than make the debate longer, you will have to read jjc’s previous articles) Yes allowing the U-2 Spy Plane to fly over Iraq is a symbolic action. But it is an unnecessary one, because of Satellites. Great! Now the US can photograph Iraq from both Space and a Plane! Some compromise. It is just wasting more US money.
    abewsed -

You are incorrect in suggesting that the use of the U-2 Spy Plane is an unnecessary action.

The spy planes will allow the UN to have real time images beamed back live, which is not the case with satellites.

With satellite imaging, you can only photograph the areas the satellites go over.

In addition, the spy planes can circle an area in order to obtain more detailed images.

I also read that some analysts believe that Iraq is able to track spy satellite orbits, meaning that they can move the weapons out of the way before they are photographed.

And as for you laughing at someone else's posts merely because they have a different opinion to you, I found that to be rather rude. Some of the contents of your posts have been somewhat lacking in substance (what are you actually contributing by calling Saddam Hussein a nutter, or by telling us how wonderful you think the US has been to us?), but nobody has been so offensive as to dismiss your posts as laughable.

I am all for “giving peace a chance”. But I am also for Justice. Not a Lockerbie justice, where Gaddafi gets away with “murder” and we all kiss and make up. But also I don’t want to see a new war escalate, i.e. a Middle East War.
    You certainly don't sound as though you want peace. And a Middle East War could certainly be on the cards if we rushed into a war with Iraq without sufficient international backing.

To ask that weapons inspectors are given sufficient time to do their job is a reasonable request. Their job will be helped by the spy planes, which are apparently due to start flying over Iraq this week. It is certainly a more reasonable and considered notion than the "Let's blow Saddam the nutter off the face of the planet" idea.

Few people have said there should be no war at any cost - but it is reasonable to request due consideration and care before heading down a route which may leave us all living in a more frightening and violent world in the future.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast