Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Any writeups on the Master Mariners of Dunnet?

Default Any writeups on the Master Mariners of Dunnet?

HI does anyone know if there are any articles written up about the Ship Masters or master mariners that came from the Dunnet area or any other Caithness area for that matter?
    have alot of death cert's mentioning that the deceased was a Master mariner or a ship master and would like to know a little more about them if I could.
    Thanks
    Jackie

The National Archives holds information on the Merchant Navy.

You can read their research guides at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/f...story/merchant .

Crew lists will tell you the name of the seaman, their age, birthplace, rank, ship last served, date joined ship, where joined ship, date left ship, place left ship and details of the ship's voyages.

Default Re: Mariner's list

thanks Allister, I forgot to say yes to when someone replied and forgot I had even posted this querie. thanks for the info, I did some checking at the National Archives but came up with nothing there. Fred responded to someone else's question and I was able to get some info from him so that was helpful. thanks so much and sorry it took me so long to say it!
    Thanks Jackie