Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Internet Explorer prob

Default Internet Explorer prob

Does any one have a problem with IE in that, recently, it's has started shutting down on me for no apparent reason, with a message box coming up saying 'Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and has to shut down', then it shuts down, with no explanation.
    thanks in anticip
    Keep it country

Hi Tom

Are you using IE6 or IE7 (I've added screenshot links to them to make it easier to determine which you've got).

If it's IE7 then it has a reset function built in which can cure many IE7 problems - to access it click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > Reset button at the bottom.

I don't have IE6 anymore so not sure if it has a similar function.

Let us know if that helps.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinovich View Post
    I don't have IE6 anymore so not sure if it has a similar function.
    I've still got it on my laptop, and can confirm that there is a "restore defaults" in the advanced tab of IE6 options.

JimBews

Default Internet Explorer prob

thanks very much, folks, but will I be liable to lose any stuff if I click the 'restore' button
    Keep it country

No Tom, all it does is delete any Temporary Internet Files, resets Internet Explorer's settings, and disables any browser add-ons (probably things like toolbars, Java, etc.), all of which can be re-installed once IE is stable again (although I recommend keeping them to a minimum anyway!).

Hi Tom

It can also be caused by Yahoo or Google Toolbar. If Bobs suggestion does not work try uninstalling and reinstalling the toolbar.