Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jumped or Jamp?

Blackpool today..... who knows where tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by helenwyler View Post
    Hi mccaugm!

"aks" is West Indian. It would seem odd down here to hear someone of West Indian stock saying "ask"!!
    Hehe, I was brought up in London, spent a few years in Brixton & moved to Kent once the damage was done... it took my Mum years to stop me saying 'aks'... even now, when I'm 'on one' according to the girls, I still say it!

It's just one of those childhood legacies I guess - and on the subject of West Indian culture.. it's Notting Hill carnival this weekend, & we can't go because Andy has 2 telephone interviews on Monday.......
    I wish I'd picked more daisies.........(anon)

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post
    Mine is the "Greengrocer's apostrophe" (Banana's 10p a pound). When I was a student I used to pass a chip shop near Murrayfield when taking the bus to see my girlfriend. They had huge orange signs with black text that said "Curry's" and "Pizza's". I was always tempted by the first one to go in and ask to see some TV sets.
    Ironic that the chip shop sign "Curry's" is correct for Currys.
    Last edited by Tristan; 25-Aug-07 at 15:55.
    There are two rules for success:
    1. Never tell people everything you know

For goodness' sake.

The plural of "curry" is "curries".
    "It makes my blood burn with metal energy..."

Quote Originally Posted by Metalattakk View Post
    For goodness' sake.

The plural of "curry" is "curries".
    I was going to post that & you beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by embow View Post
    The use of ACCESS as a verb just makes me fair dirl with frustration.
    Nobody accessses anything!!eg "You can access it on www.----- etc" Piffle and nonsense!
    You get access to something or gain access to it. eg "You can get access to it at www.-----etc". Access is a noun for goodness sake. Yet another Americanism plagues our language. Total despair on this one.
    From the Oxford English Dictionary:
    access

noun 1 the means or opportunity to approach or enter a place. 2 the right or opportunity to use something or see someone. 3 retrieval of information stored in a computers memory. 4 an attack or outburst of an emotion: an access of rage.

verb 1 gain access to; make accessible. 2 approach or enter (a place).

ORIGIN Latin accessus, from accedere come to.
    Evidently, it's a noun and a verb and it's derived from the Latin verb 'accedere'. That's good enough for me.
    Last edited by crayola; 26-Aug-07 at 01:50.

One that really gets up my nose is the posters who use "of" instead of "have".
    Do they really believe that's correct, or is it "texting" English?

Or when hubby talks nostalgically about his 'Scalelectric' set.....

Maybe that's why he became a sparky!

Speaking of Jamp, Van Halen have got back together.

when she was still in primary school, my daughter showed me an essay for which she had a really glowing report. She used the word 'jamp' with no comment from the teacher. I asked the teacher about it later and she replied, 'well, I don't know what to do - all the kids seem to use it,'
    The one that really gets me though, is the use of the word 'of' instead of 'have'. Like, 'I should of done that' I know when spoken it sounds kinda like should've, but to WRITE it????
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Must admit I have been known to use jamp...must be a Caithness thing I then started to question myself as to whether it really was a word or not and got myself so confused I gave up!Great to know that it isn't really a word after all lol.Mind you I am the person who wrote "if" about 10 times one day because it didn't look right so if I can get confused about the spelling of if I really have no place to talk about whether a word is real or not x
    The nice thing about living in a small place is that if you dont know what you are doing....there's always somebody who does,or thinks they do! x

Talking Jamp

Well I am going to stick up for all the users of JAMP. Its a great word he he I have used it since I was a child, much to my mums disgust. She is a primary teacher and still to this day she corrects me that its not an actual word! I remember her making me look it up in a dictionary and when I couldnt find it I simply wrote it at the bottom off the page in my best handwritting and said that I had found it!! ha ha ha

Default jamp

In caithness you get words that are used in different localls,ie Thurso,Wick,Lybster,and jamp is a lybster word.

Read an article in one of today newspapers, about the differing words or names for mealtimes in Scotland and do they differ greatly? In the farm working communities that I grew up in, in Perthshire mostly, the word for the Midday meal was Denner or dinner and the evening meal was your Tea. Not Lunch and Dinner as the more well spoken amongst us.
    Sic the old joke about Edinburgh Folk...."Come in, You'll have had your Tea"
    Once the original Grumpy Owld Man but alas no more

I always have problems with bread rolls.
    In the south, they are rolls, slightly flattened, then they are baps...
    Here they are barms, whatever size or shape - in Middlesbrough, they are bread buns, although a bun is something you put icing & cherry on top of!
    In Leeds you would probably ask for a bread cake. At a baker’s in Derby you might be offered acob and on a visit to Coventry you might ask for a batch.
    Tea Cakes are the norm in certain parts of Lancashire - no currants though! And around Tameside, they are known as muffins....

I'm sticking to sandwiches!

why is it that a mouse becomes mice but a house becomes houses?

or sheep stay sheep but a jeep becomes jeeps?

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    I stand corrected 'dove ' is in the dictionary.
    Pigeon type bird and highly moisturising soap used by BEEG wifies apparently ;o)

Quote Originally Posted by katarina View Post
    when she was still in primary school, my daughter showed me an essay for which she had a really glowing report. She used the word 'jamp' with no comment from the teacher. I asked the teacher about it later and she replied, 'well, I don't know what to do - all the kids seem to use it,'
    The one that really gets me though, is the use of the word 'of' instead of 'have'. Like, 'I should of done that' I know when spoken it sounds kinda like should've, but to WRITE it????
    The concept of being a teacher is to teach. If a child is incorrect in what he or she has written, the teacher should acknowledge the mistake and mark the paper accordingly.

I am currently in college and got an exam paper returned to me marked in green as opposed to red or black. Apparently having mistakes marked in green is less threatening.
    Spring has sprung, the grass is ris', I wonder where the birdies is, the birdies is on d' wing, now thats absurd, everyone knows d' wing is on d' bird

[quote=Thumper;262467]Mind you I am the person who wrote "if" about 10 times one day because it doesn't look right "

I do that, but my word is "was", it never looks right.
    I know that Jamp is not really correct, but I have kind of grown quite fond of it. I think I will adopt it, and maybe start a new fad here in Oz.
    She was not quite what you would call refined, she was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. Mark Twain

According to legend, Jim Baxter et al "hamp" England 3-2 in 1967.

Well I have to say I am absolutely astonished! I read the first post in this thread late on Saturday and had never heard jamp and couldn't believe that people thought it was a Caithness thing. On Sunday evening after my children had played at a new really quite good play park we were driving home and my son was raving about all the things he had done when he said, "Did you see when I JAMP on that big thing......" to my daughter. I could not believe my ears - spooky or what after never having ever heard this word used. I told a colleague today and she thought it was a Perthshire thing as she had heard it a lot. I must say that I will be correcting him every time I hear it as I hate hearing words wrongly used and feel it is my job to do so. Also poor marks for that teacher who let it go in an essay. Fine, say that the work was great but still point out the errors!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast