Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shipping between Wick and Leith

malbec Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Peterd500 View Post
    The register entry for marriage of Elizabeth CORMACK to George MCKENZIE says her parents were John MCKENZIE & Isabella PHIMISTER.
    Peter
    Hi Peter,
    I think you mean HIS parents were John Mckenzie and Isabella Phimister.
    Elizabeth's parents were James Coramck and Margaret Green.
    George and Elizabeth are my Gt, Gt grandparents.

One thing that had been worrying me about James Cormack and whether
    the 1823 one is the right one is the ticket numbers.
    Fred mentions in his post...

Cormack James
    Current Ship: BRAVE of Wick Trade: Home
    Born: Wick Ticket No: 37209
    Master
    Date Joined: 01 Jan 1851 Place Joined: Wick
    Date Left: Remains Place Left: Why Left:
    Previous Ship: BRAVE of Wick

While the guildhall reply that Paul received has...

CORMAK, James b. Wick 1823 S37657 vol.3 1856-1857, 1859-1868
    Name : James Cormack
    Place and date of birth : Wick, 1823
    Certificate number : S 37657 [S denotes certificate of service]
    Place certificate awarded : Not recorded.
    Date of certificate : Not recorded.
    Special qualifications : None given.

Are the certificate number and the ticket number the same or two
    completely different things??

(I know I'm just confusing the issue here )

Bec

Quote Originally Posted by malbec View Post
    Are the certificate number and the ticket number the same or two
    completely different things??

(I know I'm just confusing the issue here )

Bec
    The seamen's ticket and certificate of service are two different things. All sailors had to have a ticket and every voyage entered in the seaman's register. In 1850 they passed a law that masters and mates had to pass an exam and get a Certificate of Competency. When the law came in officers who could prove they had enough years experience at the job were exempt from taking the exam and were given a Certificate of Service instead.

I don't know if they issued a new number or just put a "S" for service or "C" for competency in front of the ticket number.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterd500 View Post
    aha! the penny has finally dropped for me regarding that marriage.

The register entry for marriage of Elizabeth CORMACK to George MCKENZIE says her parents were John MCKENZIE & Isabella PHIMISTER.

Elsewhere in my database I have Isabella PHIMISTER who was married to John MCKENZIE (from other bulletin boards, possibly at Rootschat?) as the daughter of George PHIMISTER & Alexanderina WARES, and the latter George's parents were George PHIMISTER & Christian BREMNER.

It appears that George PHIMISTER & Christian BREMNER may have had a son John PHIMISTER who married Rose Ann FARQUHAR, the latter couple probably being the parents of William PHIMISTER who married Janet Wemyss CORMACK 07 Oct 1843 Wick parish.

Peter
    Is there any connection do you know with your George Phimister and Isabella Phimister to - Marjory Phimister (1849-1926) (schoolteacher) married a James Mitchell b around 1846?

James.
    Last edited by Kingetter; 05-Oct-07 at 14:20. Reason: Additional information added.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

sorry James, I don't know.

peter

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.c...365_1&id=I8354

the above database has a marjory born 1829 to John PHIMISTER & Marjery BREMNER

Thanks but link didn't work (for me). I take it this is the one you refer to -

http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.c...365_1&id=I8354

James.

"A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots"

Elsewhere in my database I have Isabella PHIMISTER who was married to John MCKENZIE (from other bulletin boards, possibly at Rootschat?) as the daughter of George PHIMISTER & Alexanderina WARES, and the latter George's parents were George PHIMISTER & Christian BREMNER.
    It appears that George PHIMISTER & Christian BREMNER may have had a son John PHIMISTER who married Rose Ann FARQUHAR, the latter couple probably being the parents of William PHIMISTER who married Janet Wemyss CORMACK 07 Oct 1843 Wick parish.

Is there any connection do you know with your George Phimister and Isabella Phimister to - Marjory Phimister (1849-1926) (schoolteacher) married a James Mitchell b around 1846?
    The data I have on some Phimister has not been checked for years but I show Isabella c 1820 and Marjory 1849 as 2nd cousins - their g/father's being brothers George & John.

As for John 1874 app son of George P & Christina Bremner - I have record showing this John Phimister b1784 m 11 Nov 1808 Wick to Rose Farquhar. Then son William b 1819 m Janet Weymss Cormack.

Will check it out.
    Tricia

Default Phimister

Same PHIMISTERs are also discussed here:
    http://forum.caithness.org/showthrea...ight=phimister

Tricia

Lightbulb Cormack/Green

Hi All,
    Watching this thread with interest, as Margaret Green was my 2C5R.
    James Cormack bap,23 Oct.1823 Wick. First son of John Cormack+Elizabeth Thomson
    Margaret Green b.1826 Wick. 3 Dau.of Walter Green+(Margaret Sutherland,
    Peter: your link to Isabella Sinclair)
    Walter Green was a ship Builder and on the marriage of his Dau. Margaret he would have been able to build a boat for James.
    James is with his Father and Siblings in 1851 Census in Harbour Terr.Wick. Aged 27. Occupation Seaman.
    Paul: Your link to me as 6C1R through William Bain Cormack.
    Regards
    Elizabeth Durrand
    (Teeny).

malbec Guest

I link to you too Elizabeth...I have been using your Rootsweb site quite a lot.
    My link is via Elizabeth Cormack (my great-great grandmother), daughter of James Cormack and Mgt Green.

Bec (in Australia)

malbec Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    The seamen's ticket and certificate of service are two different things. All sailors had to have a ticket and every voyage entered in the seaman's register. In 1850 they passed a law that masters and mates had to pass an exam and get a Certificate of Competency. When the law came in officers who could prove they had enough years experience at the job were exempt from taking the exam and were given a Certificate of Service instead.

I don't know if they issued a new number or just put a "S" for service or "C" for competency in front of the ticket number.
    Thanks for clearing that up Fred!

Bec

I too thank Fred for explaining the ticket va certificate of service thingie lol.

Nice to see cousins connecting. I too have used Elizabeth's entry on Rootsweb - not that I have found any direct connections...

Mamie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12