Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upper Deck Steak

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    There meals are over priced its nearly 100 quid for meal for two
    Crikey, is that right? Is there a few bottles of wine in with it??
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

Must be extra for the monosodium glutamate!! he he

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Just to set the record straight: Monosodium Glutamate is only 1 ingredient of Aromat.
    Ingredients: Salt, ...... <snip >
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeBurd View Post
    My name's WeeBurd, and I'm an Aromat addict...
    Glad to hear it Buttercup & WeeBurd - I'd hate to think I was encouraging "unhealthy eating".

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    There meals are over priced its nearly 100 quid for meal for two
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheghead View Post
    Crikey, is that right? Is there a few bottles of wine in with it??
    Rampant Rabbit - I've not been at the Upper Deck for a while but I believe the main course fillet steak is priced according to the size of steak you order. I've never found the meals there to be overpriced - nor the wine selection either.

Rheghead - I reckon you would have a good few bottles of wine in there.

Heavens above folks - this is the recipe forum - I found an old recipe here, tried it & thought it worth sharing. This is not ordinary food - this is Caithness.org food - the ingredients are universal - the effects are - priceless
    Last edited by Moira; 21-Feb-07 at 00:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Just to set the record straight: Monosodium Glutamate is only 1 ingredient of Aromat.
    Ingredients: Salt, Monosodium Glutamate, Lactose, Wheat Starch, Yeast Extract, Vegetable Oil, Onion Powder, Herbs, Garlic Powder, Anti-caking ingredient (Calcium Silicate), Spices, Mushroom Extract, Spice extracts (with celery).
    Ah, but there it is, the first ingredient listed and therefore the mostest... salt... pure icky sodium. The only good thing about salt is the 0 calories!
    "People may say what they wish, but we are actually under no compulsion to listen." LJ, and I do so wholeheartedly agree!

Cool

Hi many years ago when lived in Thurso I was the head chef in the Royal Hotel and we had a secret covering for the steaks and it was much about the same as the Upper Decks.

We were told Upper Deck steaks now come from the Argentine as they are cheaper & better quality than scottish beef!

Quote Originally Posted by Soor Ploom View Post
    We were told Upper Deck steaks now come from the Argentine as they are cheaper & better quality than scottish beef!
    We were on holiday in the Canarys earlier this year and my husband was on a mad hunt for a good steak! We found this restaurant and the owner was English, really nice but a bit heavy on the patter, anyway he said the steaks were Argentinean apparently every steak you eat in the canarys is but his dad is a butcher and whilst scottish beef is great even his dad admits to argentinean steaks being far better so we tried it and my husband agreed he said it was one of the best steaks he had ever had. But on another note - the upperdeck using it? I always assumed when I dined there (which I haven't for donkeys now cos I just dont rate it anymore) that the steaks were locally produced! How can a steakhouse in the Highlands of Scotland seriously not use Scottish Beef! Especially for the price they charge for it too!!!!!!!!! Maybe next time someone is in they could ask where the steaks come from and see what they say?
    Last edited by gem1982; 26-Nov-07 at 00:19. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    A friend had heard about the Upper Deck's famous steaks, so we went there. Two days later she was suffering from food poisoning. Turns out it was the steak that did it. Caithness is (sadly) not renowned for having great cuisine on its doorstep.
    I'd be most surprised if steak was the cause of the food poisoning. Steaks are probably the safest form of cooked meat as the bacteria only exist on the surface and the cooking temperature of even a blue steak will destroy most organisms on the surface.

Now if it had been a burger.....
    The Big Man

Quote Originally Posted by The Pepsi Challenge View Post
    A friend had heard about the Upper Deck's famous steaks, so we went there. Two days later she was suffering from food poisoning. Turns out it was the steak that did it. Caithness is (sadly) not renowned for having great cuisine on its doorstep.
    Food poisoning can take several days to surface - could it not have been something else your friend ate or did she not eat for 2 days after

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12