Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cordless phone batteries

Default Cordless phone batteries

I am on the hunt for new batteries for my BT Quartet 1100 cordless phone. What a choice and range of prices! My problem is that I can't seem to get an exact match for the ones already in the phone. The ones in are 3.6v 300mAh and the nearest I can get are 3.6v 450mAh - that's recommended for the said phone. Does the 450mAh make a crucial difference. I don't want to fry my phone. Thanks in anticipation.

Found a 350mAh here http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acata...lus_BT_40.html
    Any good
    Last edited by nightowl; 20-Aug-07 at 11:53. Reason: addition

All it means is the 450mAh holds more power and will not need recharged as often. Speaking of recharging you will need to see if the new batteries are NI-CD (nickel-cadmium) or Ni-MH (nickel metal hydride) and find out if your phone will accept both types or just the one type.

Thanks for the info, Matelot. So that means I could go for an even higher number? Time for a rethink!

My cordless was discontinued ages ago but I got a new battery off ebay, if that's any help.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I'm not exactly an electrician but I would NOT go higher than 450. In fact I would say even that is unsafe. And I don't think it just means it will hold its charge longer. The 300 and 450 is a measure of current btw. I apologise to you matelot79 if I am wrong.
    Talking To God....
    http://www.fullmoon.nu/articles/art.php?id=tal

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    I am on the hunt for new batteries for my BT Quartet 1100 cordless phone. What a choice and range of prices! My problem is that I can't seem to get an exact match for the ones already in the phone. The ones in are 3.6v 300mAh and the nearest I can get are 3.6v 450mAh - that's recommended for the said phone. Does the 450mAh make a crucial difference. I don't want to fry my phone. Thanks in anticipation.

Found a 350mAh here http://www.batteriesplus.co.uk/acata...lus_BT_40.html
    Any good
    The 450mAh will be fine as the only difference is storage capacity as stated previously and as a result may take a little longer to charge. The problem you may have with replacements is physical size and connection terminals. The majority of replacements may have two separate terminal plugs rather than the one in the original as universal. Is is important these are connected the correct way or damage will result so remember the position of wires when connecting these plugs.

I cannot find info on the quartet 1100 but a BT freestyle comes with a 750mA/H battery and has a talk time of 10 hours and a standby time of 100 hours so therefore it has a power consumption of 75mA per hour when being used and 7.5mA per hour when not.
    So therefore if you were to use a 400mA/H battery it would have a talk time of 5.3 hours and a standby time of 53 hours.

As the great man used to say “ya canna change the laws of physics Captain”

Default Thanks everybody

It's all gotten too confusing. I went to Tesco and got a two phone unit for practically the same price as the batteries! Sorted!!
    In my humble opinion, batteries of all different sizes and purposes are the work of the devil!
    Thanks again to all.

Batteries are quite simple really. There only two things (apart from pysical shapes) that are different.

Voltage

Capacity

The voltage, i.e. 3.6V will the be the same for all batteries that are mark 3.6V.

The capacity is quote in mAh. The bigger the number the longer they last.

So, 3.6V 450mAh will work the same as the 3.6V 300mAh, but will last for 1.5 times the original.